Exercises for disabled people.

Options
fitinamelia
fitinamelia Posts: 3 Member
I have Multiple Sclerosis. I am able to walk, just not very far or for very long. Anyone have suggested low-impact exercise ideas for someone with fatigue and muscle weakness? Thanks.

Replies

• Demi_86
    Demi_86 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i myself go swimming with friends, would you be able to do that, and or sometimes go walking around the malls becuase you dont realize your working out and walking much more and there much more places to sit down when get to tired
  • rahmyers
    rahmyers Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm stuck with low to no impact exercizes too. I have muscle weekness and fatige with my illness. Heres some of my options: Wii fit rhythm boxing, wii fit strength training, Wii fit yoga, walking on a treadmill, stationary bike and exercize bands. I work out at home and there's no pool near by. When the weather's better i'll ride my bike around town, go for walks with my family, and go swimming when the lakes warm up, oh yeah! I almost forgot water fights with my kids :laugh:
  • tumteetum
    tumteetum Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've been reading about rebounding for ME/CFS (mini trampoline) which might be suitable if you don't have problems with balance or orthostotic/POTS problems? The idea being that the bounce helps propel you so you're expanding less energy with less impact.

I read that the PT Rebounder is the best to buy as it has a softer rebound than most mini tramps. I need to save some pennies to get one though! Meanwhile I am doing some lying down pilates and a couple of chair based exercise DVD's.

http://www.fatigueanswers.com/mini-exercise-trampoline.html
  • Go4ithkb
    Go4ithkb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Those rebound trampoline's (which I forgot what they called to add it to my exercise) work. I have a friend who was kind enough to give it to me. I have a stationery bike. But it is rough on knees. I have to hold on to something to get on the trampoline. I can't do steps. But once I'm there. That works nice. I have a 2lb weights and do that often while I'm watching TV. My upper strength is shot. I really need to build that up.

Because I sit often. I can't stand or sit for long. I have a group of exercises I do while sitting watching TV. I had a career as a technical writer and after 25 years in a chair. My knees, back and neck are shot. Add a few accidents to compound injuries...I just hurt.

I have found since I've been on here. It makes me focus on my my actions with food and exercise. Knowing I have to log it in here makes me make a better choice.

The strength exercise get rid of inches. So I think it all works. I've had such a better outlook on life since I started. I do have to not play games with myself because I have been under calories and then say I can have other things. I have to stop. Yesterday was raining and I was just in so much pain. So I really have to force myself to just plain move. Food kills the pain some days.
    Thank you for listening.
  • tumteetum
    tumteetum Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    That's interesting that rebounder works. Good to hear. And that strengthening exercises help with the inches :) Some days are easier than others but every day we manage to move is better than not.
  • stacymae67
    stacymae67 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am wheelchair bound. I do Wii tennis, bowling and baseball :)
  • Drgngolfer
    Drgngolfer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, I just joined and Im so happy to see that there are others that have the same issues that I do. Im going to take ALL of your suggestions and try them all. My kids have a Wii that they aren't using, I live by a large mall and I know of a gym that has a pool. Thank you ALL. Believe it or not but you all just helped me out a lot. :'(
  • bobsysue
    bobsysue Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Do you want another friend. I’m disabled can’t stazd & walk but learning new things with Physio
    Susan