Gaming Snacks

Options
AmandaDaley
AmandaDaley Posts: 15 Member
When I get together with friends for tabletop RPGs, there are always a lot of snacks involved.
At 7th Sea, our host does pretty good on dinner, but a few hours later, we get the munchies again and go for potato chips or whatever other snackies she lays out.
At the gaming store, there's almost always pizza, fries, or chili.
When the game's at my house, I try to be healthy about it, but then there's the soda.
Though I avoid it most of the time, I'm still tempted to get those sugary energy drinks so game can last longer into the night.

Does anyone else have this problem? It's easy to be healthy throughout the week, but when the gamer next to you is offering half his plate of nachos, what do you do? What do you snack on and how do you avoid salty/sugary doom?

Replies

• buckystars
    buckystars Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Ooooooo, this is a good question. My current gaming group are all on the same eating plan as I am (they're my roommates) so I haven't run into this.

A whole lot of willpower?
  • AmandaDaley
    AmandaDaley Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I wish the people I lived with were on the plan with me. It would make things a whole lot easier.
    My gaming group generally either consists of skinny dudes with apparently insane metabolism or big chics who get defensive if you mention they could stand to loose a little fat.

Pizza, soda, and chips seems to be the standard... unless the sushi place is still open, I guess.
    Wait, wait!! I know what I'm gonna do. Since I didn't pitch in for pizza last week, I'll go order up some catering from Subway for everyone tonight. What do you think?
  • ArtsyLaurie
    ArtsyLaurie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I switched from Mountain Dew to Diet Dr Pepper, not too bad! The diet Dr Pepper doesn't have a weird diet taste like diet Dew does. Also, my BF & I found Monster Rehab to be pretty good for diet energy drinks. They have 10 cal/serving (20 cal for a 2 serving can).

For munchies, I've been eating either jerky or baby carrots & other veggies. Or I suppose you could make game night your splurge night too?
  • PinkiePie07
    PinkiePie07 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    What my D&D group did was everyone brought their own snacks and drinks. It started getting a bit expensive feeding everyone so we opted to this option instead. So your friends can still have sodas and nachos, but you can eat a bit healthier as well. That or I'd just work out extra hard that day to make sure I had enough calories left to be able to eat the junk.
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    If I'm going to get together with my friends for BSG or something, I need to make sure I'm really good that day, because most of them are boys that don't care about what they stuff in their face. So usually, there's tons of pizza, chick-fil-a, or cake or other things that I shouldn't be eating. :(

BUT I'm not the type of dieter that doesn't allow myself to eat "bad" things. I like pizza, so I eat it. I just make sure I can fit it into my diet that day or make sure I put in a little more exercise to make up for it.

I wish my gaming friends were on my same diet plan... haha
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I opt for the high protein, low carb approach for my snacks during DND sessions. Generally that means nuts- as they are both hand held convince and slow release- to repress hunger. Peanut butter based things, if watching the sugars (IE: No sugar added or natural) works great.

With so many low-cal options of 'classical gamer foods' out there, however, its never to bad. Like during DND, we opted for 'pizza rolls' one time- got the weight watchers versions of them. Tastes just as good, with a third of the guilt.

While gaming alone, such as on my various MMOs or just on XBox. I tend to grab yogurt. Dunno, just feels right for me. And it doesn't leave my hands messy so I can get back to PVP quickly.
  • ladygigis
    ladygigis Posts: 9
    Options
    I know this old and stuff but you can also make substitutes. Like carrot chips (fresh carrots cut in a ruffle look) make a great alternative to potato chips. Also fruit kabobs can give you the benefit of eating fruit but without the mess getting on your hands. While you can't control what other people serve you can always bring healthy things to share with everyone else. If they know you are trying to lose weight I don't think they will be offended.
  • Space_Mermaid
    Options
    The carrot idea is great! I love having a little bag of snack with me when I know I will face temptation! lol Also, mixed nuts and fruit for added energy!
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    You guys ever try those Tera chips? They're the bomb diggity.
  • jbum68
    jbum68 Posts: 23
    Options
    Sorry to necropost on this. We do the pot luck deal when gaming where the host usually makes the main dish and we all bring something. Since we're doing it during the day it's usually a lunch. What I've done is offer up fruits, veggies, and substitute items (turkey sloppy joes for example). I'll have chips but baked or some low-cal/low-sodium stuff but not a ton; the others are usually good for bring the junk food. Most drink options are diet or "zero" types, but coffee/tea/water are growing now that we're all over 40. The kids of us who play still do the Dew. Minis gaming is usually nothing too sloppy (a big greasy hand grabbing painted minis is a no-no) so fruits, cheeses, etc work well. I've found with my group that pushing the "we're too fat" gets a bad reaction so I offer up and let them decide; kind of interesting since 2 are now diabetics but still do the bad food choices.
  • snowangeljo
    snowangeljo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I go for low fat/calorie versions of the things i love. Flavored rice cakes instead of chips, quakers, skinny cow or thinsations all have great low fat snacks. Also i let me gaming group know that i am trying to eat healthy so they can still bring their junk food but please don't keep offering it to me :) quaker crispy minis are great too because i can eat the whole bag and it still only has the calories of a handful of doritos. also grapes are a personal fave :) easy to eat and nummy