April Challenge - 30 Days of Biking

Options
RedSunshine365
RedSunshine365 Posts: 189 Member
I signed up for this and thought I'd share it w/you here on MFP. Some guy started a website 3 years ago, challenging you to ride your bike every day for 30 days beginning April 1. A ride can be anytthing - 5 minutes or 50 hours. You sign up with your twitter account (i'm new to Twitter) and that's about it. There are some famous cyclists signed up this year...the likes of Greg Lemond, Marco Pinotti, and Keith Bontrager.

Go to www.30DaysofBiking.com to sign up, and if you want to share your twitter ID here, feel free. I'm @CampingDeb

Replies

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    Did something similar a few years ago - was in February though... local bike club did a "28 days straight" - post a ride a day (at least one!), every day in February. I think i got to the 24th and my knee just gave way on me. Doubt I'd be able to do all 30 - there'd just be too many days where it'd be "junk miles" - riding for the sake of saying you've ridden the bike, rather than actually going out to ride for fun - or with a training aim in mind...
  • chezmoss
    chezmoss Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hiya RedSunshine

This looks fun! I will look into this tomorrow.

I'm on the bike most days anyway but do try to take a rest day on a Monday. I'm sure a short, slow recovery ride on the Turbo/Stationary bike will be fine for a month, as my normal milage will make up for the other 6 days!

Thanks for sharing X
  • bjc101
    bjc101 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This is great, but I'm out of town some days of the month. Can I double up my rides, do a morning and evening ride, on days I'm home to make up missed days? :-)
  • chezmoss
    chezmoss Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Ive signed up.... i've yet to succumb to twitter .......I joined dailymile.

I couldn't resist logging todays! :-)
  • bassnutter
    bassnutter Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    As i use my bike every day for commuting to and from work that already accounts for 16 days of the month, now the other 14 should be attainable as well as the commuting days are just that, I ride at a reasonable pace, but on the days i am not working then i ususally try and get a ride in even if its "just" a 10 although my last er... rest day took in a nice 30 mile loop, which may not be much by some standards but it does me just fine, have done the 50 a few times and would love to work up to the century but i may have to shed some more pounds before that attempt is made.
  • RedSunshine365
    Options
    This is great, but I'm out of town some days of the month. Can I double up my rides, do a morning and evening ride, on days I'm home to make up missed days? :-)

Sure! I don't see why not. On my days "off", I'm just going to do a little 10 minute warm up ride and then follow up with my Back Care DVD...it's just stretching and some strength exercises to help with bad backs. Low key but will still count as a "ride".
  • RedSunshine365
    Options
    Ive signed up.... i've yet to succumb to twitter .......I joined dailymile.

I couldn't resist logging todays! :-)

I would be posting that ride everywhere I possibly could - it was a GREAT one! :wink:
  • bassnutter
    bassnutter Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    5 MINUTES OR 5 HOURS, just so long as you ride.it all counts in my book. Having been to Holland they seem to share that thought also.
  • TRHuston
    TRHuston Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Joined about 100 other cyclist, bike families, bike enthusiasts and even a few biker dogs today at Gold Medal Park to kick off 30 Days of Riding by taking a tour around Minneapolis. People from the local newspaper were there and we all got spoke cards saying we accept the challenge. I'm excited to commit to something as simple as riding my bike everyday for a month. I heard it only takes 21 days to form a habit, so maybe it will continue all summer. Here's hoping!
  • RedSunshine365
    Options
    Joined about 100 other cyclist, bike families, bike enthusiasts and even a few biker dogs today at Gold Medal Park to kick off 30 Days of Riding by taking a tour around Minneapolis. People from the local newspaper were there and we all got spoke cards saying we accept the challenge. I'm excited to commit to something as simple as riding my bike everyday for a month. I heard it only takes 21 days to form a habit, so maybe it will continue all summer. Here's hoping!

Cool!! Had I not had a Birthday Party to go to, I would've headed to Minneapolis for this event! Nice to see another fellow cyclist on MFP! Are you a member of TCBC? I'm not, but might join this year and go on some rides near Stillwater. I'm not quite an A/B rider yet (not even close).
  • TRHuston
    Options
    No, I'm not a TCBC member. I have been debating about it though. If you check out my profile, I am training to do a few centuries this summer and will need to log all the miles I can. A group of my friends usually make the Mpls to Stillwater trip a few times a year (usually spring and fall). Casual (conversation) pace and grab lunch and a drink then head back. I can let you know next time we plan one if you'd like to join.
  • TRHuston
    Options
    So in order to be compliant with the challenge, I got my riding in today as a 2 minute test ride of a friends bike. I know that it was technically after midnight, but I feel the day isn't over until you go to sleep. With that being said, it's time to go to sleep. XX