Riding when it's cold, what do you do to keep warm?

Options
I know I know, keep moving right? haha, but in all seriousness, what do you guys and gals do to keep warm while riding when the weather gets cold? I have some starter dri-star (walmart knock off underarmor) leggings and under shirts to wear under my normal t-shirt and basketball shorts that I usually wear while riding. What are the best gloves to get and how do I keep my head warm?

Replies

• deabora
    deabora Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine rides all year long and he has BarMitts attached to his bike.
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    A friend of mine rides all year long and he has BarMitts attached to his bike.

Thanks, I'll look into the barmitts.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Fleece sweat pants.
    Dri-fit shirt with similar material long sleeve outerwear. Gloves.

It only gets in the 30s here though...
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Plenty of layers for the top and tights (baggy shorts over the top), for the lower section ;) Thicker socks maybe and I use Campri ski gloves to keep my hands as warm as poss. Thick beanie hat under the helmet and remember... the cold only hurts for the first 10 minutes of the ride!
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    Plenty of layers for the top and tights (baggy shorts over the top), for the lower section ;) Thicker socks maybe and I use Campri ski gloves to keep my hands as warm as poss. Thick beanie hat under the helmet and remember... the cold only hurts for the first 10 minutes of the ride!

My body usually warms up after a few minutes. It's my hands and head that seem to stay cold. I tried fitting a beanie under my helmet, but then the helmet doesn't fit. I'm going to try to find some better gloves, mine are the Bell walmart special and I don't think they are made for cold riding.
  • Trilaina
    Options
    Bandana under the helmet, it helps hold in the heat, and the tighter 'liner' gloves are nice, there's room to layer that way. :)
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    The first few miles are cold, cold cold! That sucks but if you are warm right out the door, you will sweat, and then really freeze later!

My rule of thumb is to keep your hands and feet warm, good gloves and maybe even glove liners work, as well as good winter shoes, I like the Shimano MT-71s and some Gore-Bike Goretex over shoes. They really work to keep my feet warm.

Then a good base layer, the dri tech kind of fabric is wonderful, it pulls the sweat away from your skin. I like old school wood tights for my legs, they work, even when wet. Thin layers are great, and a good thin wind breaker you can open or even take off if you heat up, but then put on quickly for a long decent etc.

You also have to ABC on longer rides, Always Be Consuming. Drink every 15 min and eat each time you empty your water bottle.

Cheers!
  • DrIanKellar
    DrIanKellar Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    From top to bottom

Buff for my head
    Buff for my face and neck
    Endura merino wool base layer
    Winter jersey
    Endura gillet + armwarmers / Endura breatheable windproof jacket
    Shimano Pro X-pert waterproof winter gloves (+ Sealskinz Merino liners if it's <-5c)
    Northwave Roubaix / Boubaix+ bib longs
    two pairs of socks
    Shimano MW80 waterproof boots.
  • Jenn_W
    Jenn_W Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have been riding in this wonderful Chicago weather for serval months now. Layering is important. I have pretty much got this down to a science for myself.

Under 30F -

Head: Fleece Balaclava (It is too warm for anything in the 30s+ ... plus my head is always warm - I need to invest in a dry/wicking one) & Helmet

Top:1st layer is always the dry/wicking (silk or light wool is also good) - But I like my target/nike/generic under-armor. I typically only wear a long sheelve top and a shell wind-resistant jacket. If it under 10F I will throw on a middle layer of fleece.

Bottoms: Any dry-wicking pant, a thicker pair of 'work-out' nike pants, and then I have a set of men's outer layer bicycling pants that are supposed to be wind/water proof. These look really sexy on me... got my U-bolt hanging from the special hook... Dang! I am so hot when I commute!! (LOL!)

Feet: I got an excellent pair of Navy-Wool socks, thick as all get up, from my local Army Surplus store. I was told to put baby powder in them to help keep warm. They are amazing. I was wearing serval pairs of socks, even put plastic bags around my feet to prevent chill. This wool socks are the best. When it snows I also wear my super girly 3M snow boots, they help out when I have to stop and get 6" of a snow covered puddle... Ugh!

Gloves: I have a pair of Endra gloves that are great, but not when it gets under 20F. I got a pair of Tundra (skiing?) gloves that are lined and go up my arm. They are great... I had to take them off this AM (35F) because my hands were sweating.

I need to get ski goggles or something like, when we had the big snow on Thursday I had a hell of a time getting home with the snow in my eyes and sunglasses did not cut it!

I am a sight! But I love it and stay warm... I plan on riding year round, after winter I am not sure I will know how to handle 'hot' weather. 40F seems to be my prefect temperature.

**Gosh I type too much sorry... I thought I should add that I commute 5.5-6miles one way... So not real far, but far enough away that if underdressed it is a big deal!
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Yesterday the windchill was 13F...perfect for a bike ride! :laugh:

I wore the following and was actually a little warm on top:
    Smartwool base layer top
    Pearl Izumi PRO Insulatour jacket
    Gore (not Gore-Tex) windbreaker (didn't need this layer)
    PI Amfib windblocker tights over cycling shorts
    Ibex balaclava
    lightweight merino socks
    neoprene covers over my shoes
    Pearl Izumi lobster claw gloves (my hands were HOT)

Laundry is no joke for these Winter rides...that was my wardrobe. DH's wardrobe was similar, but he's 6'2" / 230#s...pretty much 2 washer loads for all our gear! :noway: :grumble:
  • rajivdubey
    rajivdubey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    All you guys are amazing! Where I ride, the temp is in early 40s. I wear under armor and then a layer on top of it. At times I need another layer.

Mostly, I dont need to wear warm socks, but they are really comfortable.

I am amazed to see people who ride in 10 F temp! Coz I freeze in late 30s and early 40s!
  • bjc101
    bjc101 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    poly or wicking under armor type base layer, a layer of fleece or two, depending on temps, and something to block the wind, preferably that breaths. A neck gator I can pull up over chin and cheeks if needed and a thin poly skull cap for under the helmet. Under armor type base layer for the legs and lined wind pants. Some heavier socks and I find tucking my wind pants into the socks seems to keep the ankles a bit warmer. It looks kinda dorky, but I gave up worrying about that years ago, Any pair of good lined gloves seem to keep the hands warm.
  • mdstamand
    mdstamand Posts: 169 Member
    Options