Can't stand long

Options
Go4ithkb
Go4ithkb Posts: 8 Member
Hi...I just started yesterday and I can not work too many exercise. I have done work around the house. But I can't stand long. i would love to talk to others who have trouble with this.

Thank you in advance.

Replies

• tumteetum
    tumteetum Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm in a phase with my illness where I am now able to stand and walk for a bit longer than I used to but I used to be able to only stand for a minute or maybe two at a time. So I sort of understand what it's like.

I've found a lot of inspiration through the message boards of people who have lost weight through diet alone and others with various disabilities and illness who manage to do seated exercise and adapt exercise to their circumstances.

It would be good to just be able to go do the workouts and exercises that so many other people do but that's not on the cards for me. I'm still experimenting with ways to help tone muscle that fits with my abilities/function. Even small stretches can help i think.
  • grumpya
    grumpya Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi, totally agree with everything tumteetum has said. I got very upset when I first started on these pages by reading loads of self righteous idiots who went on about "skinny fat" then the penny dropped that all that phrase was was a marketting term from the fitness industry. All they want is their share of the billions of pounds/dollars that are apent on slimming & by counting calories & generally being more active, they have to invent terms of abuse for those of us who do not waste our money on their businesses. I have a limited ability to stand but I also have severe arthritis in the spine & neck so my upper body is not good. I just try to keep focussed on MOVING MORE & I also have bought a good quality heart rate monitor. It is one that calculates your calories based on your body weight height & sex, I wear it when I go out & have calculated my metabolic rate back from my daily to be approx 90 cals an hour so anything over 100 cals an hour means I have upped my pulse & am building cardio fitness. I burned 500 extra calories by self proppelling my wheelchair in a leisurly fashion round a mall the other day. Shopping as fitness training that sounds better than the gym! Have you considered swimming? Most people can splash about in a pool & burn calories.
  • laurawalker357
    laurawalker357 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    hello, i my self can not , i have planters facitis, and ankylosing spondylitis and a partial knee replacement that has givien me nothing but probs. but any way yes. ! it really ticks me off when i see gyms, commercials, first lady , etc, all talk about fitness what about us , who struggle and in my case in constant chronic pain due to an illness ill have the rest of my life, , i will say this though , yrs ago before i knew what i had , overeaters anonymous helped me lose 50 lbs which was what i needed and had the disease not knowing it. now 25 yrs older just recently found out. and a hell of a lot more to lose like 100 lbs , i am about to join again, just a though, i am not preaching, i never stuck with O A and wish i did , i realize i do have an eating problem , i hope this gives you hope
  • amberaa1061
    Options
    Hi! I use to not be able to stand at all (after a car accident) I started doing like 1 mph walking backwards on a tread mill and have gotten up to being able to walk forward for 15-20 minutes at a pretty fast pace. Still doing the backward walking to improve for more stand up time. I don't know what the difference is between front ways or backwards walking....all I know is, is that it works.

I have spondylilyosis and thesis, bursitis (sorry on the killing of the spelling) Just had my second cervical spine surgery and have 4 herniated discs in the L region and disc degeneration. So I am happy right now that I can do any walking or cleaning. :bigsmile:
    Just received my cervical epidural but have to wait to have another spine fusion before I can get a bursa shot and lumbar epidural.
  • MissPoppie
    MissPoppie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I can't stand up for very long so I have a chair in my kitchen so I can prepare food or wash dishes, it's called a perching stool. The other thing that really helps are my SmartCrutches - they take as much of my weight as I need on my forearms, saving my wrists from hurting, allowing me to stand for much longer and leaving my hands free to hold small objects whilst standing.