Gluten Free Amaretto Cupcakes!

Options
SilentRenegade
SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
Hey all, I made these last night and they were a hit with my boyfriend and his friend. They are very filling and if you make them the way I did, you might even get a bit of a buzz off of them. You do not have to use Amaretto in the cupcakes, you can use almond syrup or essence in place of it. I found the original recipe at Food.com and changed it up a bit and they came out fantastic.

What you will need:
For the chocolate batter:

1/2 cup almond flour
1 packet of gelatin
2 oz of unsweetened chocolate
2 eggs, separated
1/8 cup agave nectar (I used the Blue Agave since there was a lot less sugar in it than the normal Agave for whatever reason)
1 tbsp butter
1/8 cup amaretto liqueur or almond syrup or essence (I used a lot more amaretto, see below)
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp Stevia

Cream cheese filling:
2 1/2 oz of cream cheese
3 tbsp Amaretto
2 tbsp maple syrup (I used no sugar added)
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 1/2 oz butterscotch chocolate (I used butterscotch chips)

1. Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F
2. Make the cream cheese filling:
*Dissolve the cornstarch in amaretto
*Stir in the cream cheese until creamy
*Stir in the maple syrup (Here I used a bit more amaretto to make it more... alcohol induced).
* Stir in the chopped butterscotch or butterscotch chips.
3. For the Chocolate Batter:
*Combine almond flower, gelatin, Stevia, and baking powder in a bowl.
*Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks.
*Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form
*In a double boiler, melt the 2oz of unsweetened chocolate with the 1 oz of butter
*In a separate bowl, cream the egg yolks and agave nectar.
*Stir amaretto into melted chocolate/butter mix (I added enough to make it very creamy and Amaretto-y).
*Now mix the egg yolk/agave nectar mixture with the melted chocolate/butter/amaretto mix. (I used a hand mixer on all of this, btw)
*Combine the dry ingredients and the above creamy mixture together.
*Fold in the egg whites

To Bake:
*Line 6 cupcake cups with paper liners (or forget to buy them like I did and just spray the crap out of them with olive oil Pam)
*Divide the chocolate batter and fill one dollop of the first half into the bottom of each cupcake cup.
*Fill one dollop of the cream cheese filling on top of each portion.
*Cover the cream cheese filling with the remainder of the chocolate batter.
*Bake at 350 F for about 15-20 minutes (I did about 17 and took them out to let them cool in the pan, remember I had no paper liners.)

So the original recipe did not call for sugar or sweetener, so I added that because I like a sweet treat.
I took them out and flipped them upside down and they kind of looked like little volcanoes! Very filling and delicious. These are not the most calorie conscious snacks, but they are very carb conscious!

One cupcake: 170 Calories, 14.5g of fat, 9.1 g of carbs (more amaretto might have made this go up, but not enough to kill it!) and 1.5g of fiber, 4.2g sugar, Protein 4.2g

Give them a shot and let me know how you like them! They are a bit time consuming to make, but it's well worth it. Very moist and fulfilling cupcakes that are gluten free and not too carby!

Replies

• tina990
    tina990 Posts: 18
    Options
    I really don't cook anymore but that looks so good! I may be forced to break out an apron. Anyway, I'm copying the recipe for future use. Thanks a lot.