Which psychological tricks do you use when....

Options
tnrunningnurse
tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
When running in the heat I find myself running into shade on purpose, it is a mind trick I play to not feel the heat as much. What do you use to keep going when you feel like throwing in the towel.

Replies

• leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have a 3.5 loop that I run on our family farm. I like to break down each section and think, "I only have to run this section of the loop X more times to achieve my goal. I also like to place a water bottle or two (depending on how many loops I do) at the starting point, and tell myself, "When I get back to the point A, I get a little reward for the next loop!" Also, taking in the scenery helps to focus my mind on more than the run!
  • tinaslosingit
    tinaslosingit Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I try to think of ANYTHING else than the fact that i am running. Sometimes I will play scenes from movies in my head and it kind of takes me away from the moment of agony of the run!
  • kath711
    kath711 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I coach my son's soccer team so I will often think of drills/games. I also break up my long runs into sections and will say if I am struggling can turn back sooner but usually once I get there I find I can go on . I also think about what I will be doing later in the day and think about how much happier I am when I have accomplished my goal and did not stop sooner.
  • tnrunningnurse
    Options
    Alot of the time I think about setting a PR in a certain distance. Self talk is important as a runner.
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    Alot of the time I think about setting a PR in a certain distance. Self talk is important as a runner.

Agreed. When I start to drag, I think about what I'm doing wrong that causes the meltdown. I start concentrating on cadence, posture, uphill and downhill form and how I can improve times using flatness and elevation changes. Before you know it, the wall is gone and the miles start clicking faster. In the Texas heat, my trick is to be confident in watching other runners crap out before me. Sad but true. I think of how much stronger I am than those people, even though I've been the one to have to stop also. Just not on that day.
  • jquinn1971
    Options
    I wear a white hat -- keeps the sun off my dark hair and out of my eyes.
    I also do an intentional relaxation and form check, then lean back in.
    Finally, I set my timer to go off every ten minutes -- helps me track hydration and pace without glancing at the watch every minute.
  • Nigerianebony
    Nigerianebony Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    When I am competing in a race, I tell myself... "there is no way that 8 year old kid is going to beat me." That actually works!!!
  • tnrunningnurse
    Options
    When I am competing in a race, I tell myself... "there is no way that 8 year old kid is going to beat me." That actually works!!!
    When I am running a race I pick out someone who is a good distance ahead of me and make my goal to pass that person,when I pass that person I pick out another, and so on.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I tell myself a lot of things...

If I'm starting to wane on motivation, I tell myself "There are lots of people who CAN'T run because they are in wheelchairs or had horrible accidents. Running is a privilege, don't waste it." That actually works REALLY well when I think of people who don't get to run and who would love to have the ability to be mobile.

If I'm training for an event, I say "If you can't run this, you'll never make it at (enter event)."

If I'm just feeling tired, I'll set small goals, pick out something I see in the near horizon and tell myself to run to there, then decide if I want to walk. Nearly all of the time I get there, pick a new spot and keep on moving.

If I'm just starting to lag, I'll start doing little "systems" checks on my body where I focus on different areas and check in on how I'm doing. Ankles okay? Knees okay? Legs feeling good? Back hurting? Etc.... distracts me from actually moving.

And lastly, I concentrate on how good it feels when I'm done, how accomplished, and that I'm doing something lovely for my body - something really good. It's "take care" time for myself.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I sing or lip sync and sometimes dance. I run around my neighborhood which seems like it would be embarrassing but I'm running and whoever is watching me is most likely not so they can't judge me for getting off my butt and getting things done. :tongue:
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    I sing songs in my head, I pass people and tell myself "don't let them beat you." I say "Only x miles left to go," etc.
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I have three ways I approach it:

1. The mean coach: I say things to myself like, "don't be such a baby;" "nobody ever got hurt from cardio" (not true but efffective); "that lady with the stroller is faster than you;" "one more mile isn't going to kill you."

2. The nice coach: I tell myself I'm awesome, I'm so lucky to live where I do, and I've made such progress in the last year! Yay me!

3. Obsessive packing: I travel a lot and am strictly one-bag, so if I'm really having a hard time pushing through I can lose myself in mentally packing for an upcoming trip. If I don't have a trip planned I make one up and pack for it, along with backups for changes in weather. I'm a nerd. :tongue:
  • picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I tell myself, "You're one step closer to the end." and "You're not a quitter, you're a WINNER, and WINNERS don't quit."
  • onlyhalfcrazy
    onlyhalfcrazy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I saw first hand what happens when you mentally trip yourself up in a run. Last saturday I did a half, there was a man pacing himself with me. Somewhere around mile 6 we were going along great, my garmin goes off and he says what pace are we running at Im aiming for 10 mile per minute, I told him we were running at 9:10, he instantly started having pains. He feel behind and I never saw him again.

I tell myself "do not stop"!!!!!
  • kenleyj
    kenleyj Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I really don't use any, and just embrace the heat. But don't really get that much of it so it is a bit rewarding. But to be honest when it is really really hot (humid) I remind myself of how winter sucks!!
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I have several approaches depending on the circumstances:

I have been running so much that it is fairly easy to just take in my surroundings and feel blessed that I can run whenever, wherever I want.

If I am having an all out melt down I say out loud with much gusto " I...AM...GOING...TO...DIE!!!", just hearing myself say that (Knowing there is no way Im even close to dying) usually makes me laugh and then the Drill seargent in my head tells me to pick up my feet and move my @$$!

Sometimes if I'm hurting I too do a systems check. Try to pinpoint my pain/discomfort and push through it. Typically it just goes away, if not, I will pause for a quick stretch.

I have learned that my brain wants to shut me down nomatter the distance. Running seems to be a matter of the heart. I truly enjoy running and look forward to doing it more days then not. I feel so blessed to be able to call myself a runner that I carry that joy with me as I go. This is probably my greatest catalyst for a good run.
  • speedit
    speedit Posts: 1
    Options
    I break down the run into halves and congratulate myself when each marker is accomplished. I also picture myself crossing the finish line of my next race or simply reaching the end of my run for that day. MUSIC is also a HUGE distraction for me and gets me through all my runs.