Favorite way to be active in Houston?

Options
aggiesrar05
aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
Houston is full of incredibly fun things do to and see all while being active! I'm always looking for new ideas and new ways to get in activity (doesn't have to be hardcore, walking is activity) fun things in Houston.

My question to each of you is what is your favorite active thing to do in and around Houston??

For example my favorite thing to do in the spring in Houston is to ride my bike through River Oaks. The landscaping and blooming flowers are amazing! Kind of makes you forget that you're in the middle of a huge city!!

Another fun thing I just discovered, is those indoor trampoline parks. (Haha, how old am I??) It's like being a kid again... except when I was a kid I don't remember jumping on trampolines being such a workout!!

What are some of your favs??

Replies

• yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I love Memorial Park!

And I must check out these trmpoline parks you mentioned :smile:
  • Aprillsmith
    Options
    I am not the outdoorsy type so my workout consists of various classes in the gym. I get in the gym and get in a zone!
  • houstonian
    houstonian Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Ehh, I'm not all for doing calisthenics in public, at most I'll ride or run around my quiet little neighborhood.

I do have a Groupon to be used yet for the Texas Rock Gym, that seems like it would be fun.
  • PanzaDiaries
    Options
    Definitely riding my bike on the trails of Buffalo and Braes. Running from my house through Rice village and around Hermann park is wonderful in the early morning hours. I really wish I had more active friends so I try kayaking on Buffalo and maybe a long ride through the city on the weekends like we do for Critical Mass. Oh and I too must find these indoor trampoline parks you mentioned!!
  • aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    For those of you looking for indoor trampoline parks... http://hou.jumpskyhigh.com/ This one is over by Memorial City Mall. There are a couple others around the Stafford and I think somewhere off of 45S.

I've heard of Critical Mass, but haven't really done any research into it. How do you like it?

For a fun tour style (not fast) ride on the first Sunday of every month Houston Bike Club does a city ride all around Houston starting at Stude Park in the Heights. Yesterday it started at stude park, to the theater district, discovery green, then went around the east side and up white oak (maybe) bayou, then all through the heights. Usually we average between 20-30 miles.
  • UUZennie
    UUZennie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My best friend is a Zumba instructor out in Sugar land. I don't make it to his class much because it starts at 6:00 which is when I get off but he teaches on Tuesdays and Thursday at Sugar Land ice center. I also do wii zumba at home.

I enjoy riding my bike as well but I can't ride it for more than a few miles at time because I have a physical impairment on my right side that wears out that knee.

Sky Zone is the trampoline place on the S. Sam Houston Tollway just before 90 A going south from 59. WE also have a trampoline in the back yard and I actually started exercising when I first joined MFP on that. You can get a complete trampoline for $200 at Academy which I imagine would pay for itself pretty quick versus going to the Trampoline Place.
  • randy_wsk01
    Options
    run the trails at memorial, flag football !!
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Definitely biking or going to the beach (swimming worked in there somewhere!).

Sometimes we start at UH and going north take the Cullen bike lane to the Polk one, then make our way up to the Buffalo Bayou trail (and maybe the Heights trail depending how far north we want to go) and heading back there's the Columbia Tap rail to trail and then Buffalo Bayou trail south of that.

Once in a long while after work I'll run around Rice/Museum District/Hermann but usually I just want to go home :smile:
  • maddi8a
    maddi8a Posts: 2
    Options
    Disc golfing. There are parks everywhere in this city.
  • enaves1986
    enaves1986 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I play ice hockey in Houston!
  • TexasRattlesnake
    TexasRattlesnake Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Golf.

Smoking cigars. Does that count?
  • omegamaster4040
    Options
    I bike. MS150 is a great cause and provides a reason for you to train weekly which keeps you motivated.

If anyone ever cares to join, let me know! I ususally end up biking george bush park for easy quick days and going more west or northwest for longer more challening rides.
  • bhankiii
    bhankiii Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I live in El Lago and it's perfect for biking, with a city-wide 20 mph speed limit. So that's what I do. I also enjoy nice walk around the antique shops down in Montrose.
  • christinet8504
    Options
    I live in the Woodlands and out trail system is AWESOME. I used to be a treadmill girl, but now I HAVE to be outside. I mainly just grab my dog (and a crap ton of water) and hit the paths!
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    My favorite is the 3 mile loop at Memorial Park.
  • cjh03
    cjh03 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I like to run at either Cy-Champ or Meyer parks in the Cypress area.

I also play competitive paintball so that keeps me active on the weekends.
  • LALOCHA34
    LALOCHA34 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I enjoy Memorial Park, Spotts park (there are a lot of bootcamp classes after 7 though so it can get crowded). I also like to attend some of the free classes offered at the Public Libraries. (FREE).

Mason Park is closer to me if I don't make it to the other places after work.

Trampoline place sounds fun!
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Cullen park and Mary Jo Peckham park are awesome locations to be active and enjoy the outdoors! They are in Katy area.