Skin troubles - related?!

Options
hbunting86
hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
Hi

I've recently turned vegan (past few weeks) and have noticed that I'm having some real problems with my skin acne-wise. I'm 26 and have never really had *true* acne - but I've noticed really red, sore blemishes on the lower half of my face.

I've changed nothing in my life apart from my diet - although I did make the direct shift from eating meat and dairy, to a soley vegan diet. I can't attribute it to a soy allergy, as I've not had any soy (other than tofu last night) dairy replacements/meat replacements etc.

Could this just be a result of making a drastic change to my diet?

Anyone else experience this or anything similar and have any ideas if I should just ride it out, of if there's something specific that I should be doing?

Thanks

Heather :)

Replies

• vegan1975
    vegan1975 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Depending on the type of blemish you have, it could be the onset of adult acne that's totally unrelated to diet. That happened to me in my mid-twenties and is relatively common.

It could also be an allergic reaction to some food that you're eating more of now. You may not have added new foods but presumably you've increased your intake of certain foods to replace the calories lost by not eating meat/dairy. Or if you haven't replaced any nutrients after cutting out meat/dairy, then it could be related to malnutrition.
  • cinnamonswing
    Options
    I don't know how you ate before but it's common when you do cleanses etc that the skin can act up, due to detoxing. If you are eating more "clean" as a vegan, that might be it? Looked at your diary and you don't seem to be eating a lot of sugar etc so that's good. Just drink a lot of water and give it some time I would say
  • hbunting86
    Options
    Thanks - my skin is just so sore! Maybe it's switching from the meat and dairy I was eating.. who knows. I don't really eat much sugar at all and don't have a sweet tooth so that's one good thing.

I'll hang in there - I'm guessing it'll take a few weeks for my body to adjust :)
  • claram5415
    claram5415 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't clear up in time, then do go see a dermatologist. You have changed your diet, but another thing that changes at your age is your hormonal balance so it could be adult acne.
    Congratulations on eating healthier! Stay on track and think of all the good you're doing for your body.
  • Meganalva
    Meganalva Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem! I actually came to write a post up as well but found yours first. I am 24 and haven't had any acne issues since I started using Burts Bees Acne Gel Wash about 4 years ago....I haven't changed anything besides switching to the vegan diet. I am still eating a tiny bit of cheese or milk related products but have definitely cut down. (I'm making a transition to veganism but have completely cut out meat). I don't quite understand why mine is breaking out...but I hate it! I have sore blemishes on my cheeks & forehead the most :(
  • hbunting86
    Options
    Just seen your post - aaah so it's not only me!

I went straight from omni to vegan, so I guess it's a shock to my system. I've never had acne before and never used any sort of 'specific' face washes etc for acne just natural face washes I guess. It doesn't really look like 'true' acne anyway - not as in the teenage kind! More just sore red blemishes on my chin area.

I guess I'll just stick with what I'm doing and hope that it's my body detoxing things out!

I did get some 99% aloe vera gel and that seems to help the soreness, although I wouldn't say it's reduced the redness or anything.

Ah well time will tell!

How long have you been doing this for?
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue with swollen pimples along my lower right jawline and right chin area. I noticed it when I switched to vegetarian a few years ago, then it calmed down after a bit, then I noticed it again when I stopped eating dairy. I wonder if it's a reaction to hormonal changes from the diet. Not like something is causing it but that the actual change from one to the other messes with your hormone levels and you break out until it levels out. I thought it was soy at first too, but my acne has only really come and gone when my diet changed. I remember a long time ago I decided I was going to drink three glasses of milk a day and OMG my lower right jawline broke out with the biggest underground pimples.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I have this problem as well! It's so frustrating :( I stopped using proactiv, birth control and meat all within a few months last year. My skin was fine (just minor breakouts) until I cut out dairy and eggs 5 months ago. Then I got painful cystic acne all over my face, back and arms. I thought it was just detox, but I'm still breaking out - it's like every.single. pore needs to clean itself out. It might be a hormonal thing too. I started using proactiv again since i had a bit i needed to use up. It helps a little, but I hate using those chemicals on my face- it's so drying. I'm going to try a natural vegan acne kit I saw on Etsy after the proactiv is gone. I find the more high-raw I eat (especially fruit), the better my skin looks. I have been juicing more and eating more raw fruits and veggies which seems to help. I know it has been said that it's a myth that eating oils causes acne, but I think there might be a correlation...at least with certain cooked oils (olive oil is bad to cook with). So when I stirfry, etc, I've been using a bit of veg broth instead of oil. Also drinking tons of water!!
  • kelseyk14
    kelseyk14 Posts: 95
    Options
    Hello,

My dad is a dermatologist and I am studying dietitian/personal training. The most likely cause of your acne is your body classing itself from your precious diet. Also you will experience hormone changes switching from eating hormone full foods such as meat as well as your body regulating itself. hope that helps!

Kelsey
  • hbunting86
    Options
    Thanks... I hope this gets better soon as it seems to only get worse :(

Luckily I can work from home at the moment, so I don't have to put make-up on or try to cover up my skin. I know I don't in public anyway, but you just feel self conscious you know!

It doesn't help that I have an overwhelming urge to 'pick' at things haha.

Any idea how long it normally takes for things to return to nomal?
  • Meganalva
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for like 10 days and still transitioning to vegan. I have a lot of foods in my house I have to use up until it's pretty much gone :P
  • hbunting86
    Options
    Aaah I cook for myself, so it's easier in a lot of respects I guess!

I didn't have any meat in the freezer or anything and the little cheese I had got used up at the beginning of last week (only 25g or so) when I made a moroccan chickpea chilli.

I guess it's a case of sitting it out. I've heard that even vegans who transition to being raw vegan sometimes have issues with skin troubles/dry skin due to changes in food composition that they're eating... so I guess that making a jump from omni to vegan is quite a shock to the system.

In the mean time, I'm lucky I can work at home and if I go out have to double up on make-up :/ haha

H :)
  • Meganalva
    Options
    Yeah that would be a little easier, huh? I have my kids to cook for and they love cheese, yogurt, etc. I quit buying cow's milk and they are complaining as to why I'm buying almond milk now, lol. Oh well. I'm gonna make little transitions for them and of course, keep cooking yummy vegan food for them. The sad thing is they usually eat at the sitter's for dinner so I can't control what they eat there :o/ I have LOTS of meat in the freezer, I stocked up right before I chose to go veggie, haha. I gave the red meat & pork to my mom and now I have turkey, chicken, shrimp and salmon....I'll have to give her some a little at a time and maybe just keep one pack in case I cook something for the kids with meat.

I hope our skin clears up soon, that's for sure! lol
  • hbunting86
    Options
    Weirdly my skin seems heaps better today - no soreness!

I've not used any particular product (any at all in fact) just a little natural aloe vera in the morning and before going to bed at night. Maybe my body is beginning to adapt to my new way of eating :)

Shame you have so much meat in the freezer - maybe just save it for the kids etc. I guess if it's in the freezer it's not really going off or anything. The beauty of vegan food is it's so fresh and not a lot of frozen stuff out there (well there isn't in NZ that's for sure).

What sort of stuff have you been cooking vegan? Why not try the kids out with soy cheese - if you're in the US they have Daiya, or sheese and I think cheezly. Way more than the choice here anyway!
  • MemphisMarly
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! I'm also 26 and started eating vegan a week and a half ago. Even though I was vegetarian before, my acne intensified last week. It also made my rosacea worse. My skin was bright red, and my neck / under my chin, which had been mildly broken out, suddenly broke out in large painful zits.

Luckily, it's been much smoother the past few days. And the redness is a little more orange / pink, like it's calming down. It seems like it should get smoother over the next couple of weeks. At least, I hope so -- I'm getting married in 2 months!

I just wanted to let y'all know that you're in good company, and I've read of others' having the same issue. They say it's because your skin is detoxing from all the hormones and antibiotics from dairy and other things that you aren't eating anymore.
  • hbunting86
    Options
    Awesome thanks MemphisMarley! Feel free to friend me if you like :)

Yeah I guess it's all the hormones and crap in meat and dairy that the body withdraws from. That said I already have heaps more energy which is only a good thing!

Good luck on wedding prep! :)
  • MemphisMarly
    Options
    I've read of others' having the same issue. They say it's because your skin is detoxing from all the hormones and antibiotics from dairy and other things that you aren't eating anymore.
    http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?22175-Has-anyone-got-acne-since-turning-vegan