10K PR....or not!!!

Options
leadoff
leadoff Posts: 136 Member
I ran a 10K in the pouring rain this weekend, and was pumped as I was on a PR pace at mile three with plenty of juice left in my tank. I usually run races using my Virtual Partner on my Garmin 405 to help gauge my pace better, so I never really checked the distance until the four mile marker....my watch read 3.79 miles. I finished strong, but my total distance on my watch read 5.64 miles. That, along with the fact that I beat my best 10K time by 5 minutes, seemed a little suspect to me.

I checked with some other runners on their mileage, and they confirmed the distance on their GPS units. Arrghhh!!! Very frustrated to say the least!!!

On a positive note, though, I placed first in my age group! :)

Replies

• emzley
    emzley Posts: 11
    Options
    well done! thats great to place first in your age group!

I find it so fustrating when races aren't the length they are supposed to be (whether its too short or too long)
    I ran a half marathon in Feb and it measured 13.52 on my garmin! was really fustrating as I was on target for a sub 1:30!
    I always look at the average pace per mile on my garmin and then work out what my time would have been for the correct distance, I find this helps me to see how my training is going as I do find course measurements can be out quite often!
    I ran a 5 mile race on saturday and it worked out as 5.3 miles on everyones watches! Damn course measurement people!

Big pat on the back for you though!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you placed first then it is a success, even if the PR is suspect.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    I did a 10 miler on Sunday that read 10.25 mi on my GPS. I'm pretty sure they are all off a little because they try to begin/end in the same place. It's nearly impossible wind through street to do that and have exact distance.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    GPS on an accurate course should almost always measure long.

If your GPS is short, then the course is short.

Here is an awesome article on GPS technology. I post whenever people think Chicago or Boston or London is "long" because their GPS reads 26.5

http://hamptonhalf.com/hamptonhalf-GPS.html

ETA: enjoy the hardware but don't count the PR!
  • leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    GPS on an accurate course should almost always measure long.

If your GPS is short, then the course is short.

Here is an awesome article on GPS technology. I post whenever people think Chicago or Boston or London is "long" because their GPS reads 26.5

http://hamptonhalf.com/hamptonhalf-GPS.html

ETA: enjoy the hardware but don't count the PR!

Very cool article! Thanks for posting!

Definitely not going to count my time as a PR. I enjoy participating in races more for the competition against myself. :) While I am disappointed that I was on pace for a PR and wasn't able to "log" my time as a PR, I enjoyed the race (despite running the last two miles in a downpour) and, more importantly, enjoyed contributing my time and race fee for a good cause. :)