Introductions

Options
Carolyn_79
Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
Hi ladies,

I'm Carolyn, 32 years old. I use to lift a few years ago and I have recently gotten back into it. I was doing NROL4W but decided to start the Stronglifts 5x5 program because the moves are more basic. NROL4W have some odd moves after stage 1 and I can see it being a challenge to get done at my gym. Basically I want to get strong. I still have about 15 pounds to lose so I'm not looking to eat above maintenance yet but once I lose the excess fat that is definitely the route I'm going to take.

Replies

• theredcliche
    theredcliche Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

I'm April and I'm 24. I love Jillian Michaels and I'm currently in week 7 of 12 of Body Revolution. I don't really have a goal weight at this point, but I want to be fit and muscular. I have probably 5-10 lbs of fat that I'd like to lose, but I can't imagine ever weighing 10 lbs less so I'm looking into strength training to blast the fat and build the muscle. I plan to begin this program in 6 weeks and I'd love some support and advice!
  • RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies!

I am Lauren and 27 years old. I was starting the New Rules of Lifting, but found the simplicity of this program more enticing. I am looking to get strong and have that fit, athletic look.

I'm still in weight loss mode and would like to lose another 10 - 15lbs of fat, but I'm not too concentrated on what the scale says any more.

I do have to admit I'm still a little intimidated by lifting weights and the weight room in general, so I'm hoping to overcome that as well.
  • Pebbles536
    Pebbles536 Posts: 199
    Options
    Hi! I'm Jen. I have 100+ to lose before my wedding in Oct 2013. I was told to start lifting NOW and that Stronglifts was a good place to start. I have found the routine easy to follow. I am on week three so the weight isn't that heavy yet. I think I may run into a problem in the next few weeks as I have been having a hard time finding a spotter. I have done the bench so far with out one but it won't be long before I will need one.
  • krista896
    krista896 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Krista, I'm 24 and today marked the start of my second week of the stronglifts program. I'm currently 124lbs and an hoping to cut some weight, about 10-15 lbs and get toned and improve my overall fitness.

I decided to try stronglifts for the simplicity of the program, I have the app on my ipod and it makes everything so easy to follow. I have been making steady progress with everything except the overhead press.

My weights are currently at:
    squats - 60
    overhead press - 45
    bench press - 50
    deadlift - 75
    row - 50
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm Cindy. Some guy, I honestly don't remember who, here at MFP started a thread about Stronglifts 5x5. I was looking for a way to refine my form and avoid pain and did a search for weightlifting. He suggested googling the program, so I did. And I read the PDF from beginning to end and was impressed. I dropped all my made up compound moves and moved to stronglifts, though I didn't' have an Olympic bar, so I started with a standard bar (15lbs).

After about a month or two my hubby dropped doing his useless body builder routine and took up stronglifts after seeing my results. I'm 51 and I had some unrelated injuries that made it difficult to work out for several weeks and I slacked off too much during the holidays.
    My current stats are squats 100lbs, dumbbell presses ( shoulder injury so I'm doing these till the crunchies go away) 10lbs, Rows 75, Bench 80 and Deads 110.

I'm going to try ignoring the scale completely and go off measurements instead, was supposed to measure Sunday but it was our anniversary so will do this Sunday instead. Watch your form very carefully! On Squats, try to sit back on your heels, you should be sore in your butt and hams , not so much your thighs, If your quads are hurting you aren't on your heels enough. Don't collapse forward, instead stick your butt out as you reach the bottom.

that's all I can think of at the moment.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I've got around a hundred pounds to lose but honestly I'm not really bothered *that* much by my weight- I want to get stronger. I'm recovering from brain injury that had me in a wheelchair full time for a few years. Getting recovered daily and have always loved lifting weights so am modifying the 5x5 program to what I can do.

I don't really have super high goals yet- more of just getting gradual improvements in strength. I'm not afraid to get LadyBuff :D

My weights so far aren't much to speak of. Just on week two and I started out empty hands and bodyweight only. I added a regular (15lb) bar and am hoping to be able to do ten pounds tomorrow.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    **** YEAH! STRONGLIFTS GROUP! Where have you been all my life!?

(Hi Gemi!)

I just got home from the gym in fact -- I think it was session 16 or so?

Squat 115 (I just deloaded to that, failed at 130 5-5-5-5-1 so not bad but just could never break through that for the whole 3 days)
    Bench 80 (didn't complete all 25 but I did 5-5-4-4-3 so that's pretty awesome)
    Overhead Press 65 (on Thursday so I'll report back)
    Deadlift 145 (only managed 3 last time so doing that again to push to 5)
    barbell row 80 (gonna redo this weight next time, not happy with my ROM even though I do get the bar off the ground)
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone. I'm Krystal. I started SL because I needed something simple and quick. I didn't realize that I'd enjoy it so much. I have found that I have to fight my mental sticking points more than my physical ones. Friday I did 100 on squats and for the week leading up to it, I just KNEW I wouldn't be able to do it, lol. It's nice to prove myself wrong sometimes. Cindy, thanks for the tips on the squats. I just realized I had shifted to the balls of my feet the last few workouts. Hopefully, I can get it straightened out Wednesday without having to deload.
  • tameko2
    Options
    Hi, everyone. I'm Krystal. I started SL because I needed something simple and quick. I didn't realize that I'd enjoy it so much. I have found that I have to fight my mental sticking points more than my physical ones. Friday I did 100 on squats and for the week leading up to it, I just KNEW I wouldn't be able to do it, lol. It's nice to prove myself wrong sometimes. Cindy, thanks for the tips on the squats. I just realized I had shifted to the balls of my feet the last few workouts. Hopefully, I can get it straightened out Wednesday without having to deload.

you SHOULD find it easier although the movement is quite different, but when you drive through your heels you are using your hips to push teh weight instead of your knees and your hips are a LOT stronger than your knees. just make sure you do your warmup sets and practice that motion before you put your work weight on.
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone!

My name is Diana you can call me D. I have been flipping through lifting routines the last two weeks and am going to stick with Strong Lifts for the next 12 (until my first goal date YAY) I have just recently upped my calories as well an am super nervous about it! Went from net 1600 to net 2000. I love to lift, I lifted in high school on the schools team and loved it and I cannot believe in the 6 years since then my strength has completely left me!

My starting lifts were

Squats 65
    Bench Bar
    Barbell Row Bar

I cant wait to bump that up and be back where I was in high school at champion status!

I am 23, have two boys and started my lifestyle change Oct. 2011 and added exercise and got serious about it in Feb 2012, I ride 12 miles 3 days a week on my Treck, I wog (walk/jog penguin runner style) 5 days a week and am in training for my first 5K (April 22nd 2012), lift 3 days a week, and take 1 or 2 classes a day at my Y 5 days a week. Ususally Zumba and Kickboxing/Kombat. I am a WAHM and am self employeed. I have always been over weight but am not going to be any more. I love training, love life and cannot wait to see a new face in the mirror! I am very head strong and motivated oh and I coupon! :happy:
  • Weaz66
    Weaz66 Posts: 1,846 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm 46, 5'6 and started mynew journey at 254lbs on 3/29/12. I haven't done serious lifting since Junior High when I threw shotput and discus but am very interested in starting back up. I haven't began a program yet. I just received word of going back to work tomorrow (laid off in winter) so over the next few weeks I hope to have the funding to join a gym. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! I will be researching on the internet these programs I see people posting about: 5x5 program and NROLFW, sorry I didn't do that before posting on here.
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options

you SHOULD find it easier although the movement is quite different, but when you drive through your heels you are using your hips to push teh weight instead of your knees and your hips are a LOT stronger than your knees. just make sure you do your warmup sets and practice that motion before you put your work weight on.

Warm up sets are good. I think that's why I realized so quickly that I had shifted forward. I'm trying to do checks each rep but keeping track of everything ( elbows in, feet right, back right, etc) still doesn't quite come natural yet.
  • tameko2
    Options

Warm up sets are good. I think that's why I realized so quickly that I had shifted forward. I'm trying to do checks each rep but keeping track of everything ( elbows in, feet right, back right, etc) still doesn't quite come natural yet.

I find from week to week you end up focusing more on various things, so like one week its on the bar position and then your knees start to hurt and you notice you let them buckle so you work on that instead, and then you've got the stance down but the increasing weight is making you more aware of how you hold your torso, and so you fiddle with that and then the bar position gets messed up, etc. Eventually you just get used to the checklist I think but there will probably alwyas be something that isn't quite right - at least for the first few months.
  • Lauraph
    Lauraph Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I am looking forward to swtiching things up. I have never done a program like this before but I know I need to get stronger to improve my performance. I am a runner and recently started cycling and swimming with the goal of competing in triathlons. I am not built for speed but my endurance is good... I just need some strength!

I just downloaded the 5x5 App and going to get started tonight!
  • tameko2
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I am looking forward to swtiching things up. I have never done a program like this before but I know I need to get stronger to improve my performance. I am a runner and recently started cycling and swimming with the goal of competing in triathlons. I am not built for speed but my endurance is good... I just need some strength!

Hiii! Be careful with this program, its fine in the beginning but once the weights get heavy you might find that running + cycling + squatting 3x a week is too much.
  • Lauraph
    Options

Hiii! Be careful with this program, its fine in the beginning but once the weights get heavy you might find that running + cycling + squatting 3x a week is too much.

Thanks for the tip! I need to read more about the program I guess! Maybe I will take some more time to review before I start.
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm going to start this program on Monday! I'm going to post my starting point with progress along the way so hopefully some of you just starting will track with me so we can see our results! Glad I found this program. I worked with a trainer on form for a bunch of different lifts and my weights are around the same as the starting weights suggested, so I think it's a good fit for now! Huge fan of keeping things simple. Thanks for starting this group! Cheers, Doreen
  • tameko2
    Options

Thanks for the tip! I need to read more about the program I guess! Maybe I will take some more time to review before I start.

I don't think the exercise plan is bad at all (in terms of what exercises you do), but you might want to plan to take it a bit less aggressively - like I said once it gets heavy, you are not going to be able to do that AND put in a lot of miles per week. But I'd think you could modify it a bit, drop the weights back or plateau them deliberately for while when your training plan for the tri increases, or drop squats to 2x/week or even 1 instead of 4 when your training increases.

Whats your training plan like for your tri? Or any big races you are running? When I got up to 130 lbs (where I failed) I'd get to my 5th set and my legs would just flat give out. I'd squat down and then i'd stay down (and fall onto my *kitten* generally) and my legs would just be TRASHED --- they'd be totally used up with nothing left to give. I can't imagine I'd have been able to go out and put in 5 miles of running the next day
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options

I don't think the exercise plan is bad at all (in terms of what exercises you do), but you might want to plan to take it a bit less aggressively - like I said once it gets heavy, you are not going to be able to do that AND put in a lot of miles per week. But I'd think you could modify it a bit, drop the weights back or plateau them deliberately for while when your training plan for the tri increases, or drop squats to 2x/week or even 1 instead of 4 when your training increases.

Whats your training plan like for your tri? Or any big races you are running? When I got up to 130 lbs (where I failed) I'd get to my 5th set and my legs would just flat give out. I'd squat down and then i'd stay down (and fall onto my *kitten* generally) and my legs would just be TRASHED --- they'd be totally used up with nothing left to give. I can't imagine I'd have been able to go out and put in 5 miles of running the next day

Good to know. I'm doing the Spartan Sprint on June 2nd so I'll have to see how I feel. Perhaps I won't increase the weights as fast until then so that I have some juice left in me for cardio.
  • Lauraph
    Options

I so appreciate the advice. I am going to get started at it and scale back as needed. I am training for a 60K bike ride in a couple of weeks then my first sprint tri towards the end of June. I have a solid base so looking for strength to increase my speed and get up those hills! I like the simplicity of this program. I am looking forward to getting to know all of you!