I hate my elliptical

Options
carholl
carholl Posts: 44 Member
Just joined MFP last Friday, not sure why I joined this group cause from reading all the posts I don't seem to be feeling the love from my machine...all it's missing is a pair of horns and a forked tongue!

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    The elliptical, like most machines, takes time to develop a talent/skill at.

The first is muscular. You need to build up your muscles to be able to work the machine effectively. I travel, so I end up on a different elliptical machine on a regular basis. They are all a little different (stride length, resistance, arm swing, etc.). You may just need to find a machine that fits you better.

The second is mental. Doing a repetitive thing for a long time can get very boring. Find things that keep you motivated to complete your workout. Watch TV, listen to music, challenge yourself to beat a prior best.

The elliptical is an effective and efficient tool to get fitter. But, it is not the only one. Find what works for you. Mix in various different machines (stair master, treadmill, bike, row machine, etc.). Make a program that will keep you motivated and improving.
  • KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I swear in the beginning the elliptical would make me cry... I would WEEP (emotional stuff) on the machine...! I'd just say that was my fat life trying to break free and I would move forward!

I understand hating the machine, but then falling in love with it too. Good Luck!
  • HalloweenGirl7
    HalloweenGirl7 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Why?
    What do you hate about it?
    I am curious cuz I wanted to love mine too.
    But, it bit me.
  • carholl
    Options
    It just wears me out. I guess I just hate to admit how out of shape I am, cause it kills me! But I make myself get on it every morning, was doing ten minutes but this last week I got up to 20 minutes. I think part of it is cause I'm so pressed for time when I do it. I do some stretches, take the dog for a 30 minute walk and by the time I get back home I'm already running late (showering, eating breakfast, make up, etc.). But the morning is the only time I can get it in. By the time I get home in the evening I can't even think about time on the machine. When I hit the 20 minute mark you would have thought I had won the lottery...it was such an accomplishment for me!
  • kumarprabhat
    Options
    Not long time back, I too was not a elliplical guy. Would prefer running any day to it. Then one day, I hurt my knee. Pain would just not go away. Had to leave it out for almost a month...it still hurts if I run even moderately fast (earlier I used to run upto 12/13 kmph)...

Rather than being depressed, I had to do something. That is when I discovered benefits of elliptical.
    - Better returns for time invested. Helps me burn more in same time as running - sometimes 450 Cal in 30 mins
    - Almost no stress on joints. Boredom aparts, I think I can go on and on...
    - As soon as I am done, I am able to recoup and do some serious strength training. Not possible earlier with running.

To handle boredom:
    - I listen to my favorite music.
    - bring variations - 3 rep of 10-11 mins each, alternate forward and backwards; different tarrain for each rep.

At teh end, I am sweating like pig, :) but, recovery is fast too...

Looking ways to bring more variations to my very basic apartment gym elliptical machine. All tips are welcome.

ATB.
  • jengelbell
    Options
    Ohhhhh...don't tell me that! Mine was just delivered!
  • carholl
    Options
    Ohhhhh...don't tell me that! Mine was just delivered!

Since I posted that the elliptical and I have kind of reached an understanding. I'm still not overly in love with it, but I get on it everyday for about 30 minutes. I still sweat up a tsunami, but since I started using it regularly I've lost 8 pounds. I've been watching what I'm eating, but I know the elliptical has played a large part in the weight loss. I've had it for about 4 years and used it as a clothes hanger until about 6 weeks ago.
  • Terrizgoal
    Terrizgoal Posts: 5
    Options
    I purchased a elliptical trainer. I used it for 3 weeks and returned it. It was a much cheaper version from what is at the gym so I found it very uncomfortable to use. Don't get me wrong, I love the elliptical trainer and exercise on it every day at the gym for 45 minutes and have lost a lot of weight. I would recommend trying the trainer at the store for at least 30 minutes or more before buying it and also to invest in a better quality elliptical trainer.
  • hype28
    hype28 Posts: 1
    Options
    I used to use the machines at the gym, then cancelled the gym membership and bought a nice elliptical of my own instead. It is gym quality, and while it cost about $2,000 new, I don't pay $40 every month for the gym anymore so it has paid for itself, and I don't have to worry about wiping the last person's sweat off of the handles! Currently, my garage is my workout room, with the elliptical and a TV with my Wii - I watch TV shows on Netflix during my workouts to pass the time, and when possible I treat myself to my favorite shows as motivation.

When I started back up again after being horribly out of shape (I ignored the poor thing for WAY too long), I thought I hated it too! But I started with 5 minutes a day, and increased it by 1 minute every day until I was at 40 minutes a day. I do the interval training, and now I've gone up to level 2. If I do 20 minutes or fewer, I take it to level 3, but I HOPE as I get into better shape I can increase the levels overall for more calories in less time. I am now remembering why it was the thing I always used at the gym and what a great investment it was :-)

Some days I'll do shorter time on the elliptical and then do a yoga/pilates workout on the Wii. Other days, I just do my 40 minutes and watch a good show or start a movie.
  • emkohler77
    emkohler77 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am getting better but I struggle with mine as well. In general I'd rather exercise outdoors (walking) any day, but having a little baby to care for doesn't always make that possible.

It's the initial stage for me too, the machine just plainly reminds me how out of shape I am I guess. Today was a hard day, but at least I am still within my target range for weight loss and I got on the elliptical and did a fitness DVD. I am just going to follow your examples and try to keep at it!
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I hate it soo much too. I don't have one at home so I have to rely on the gym to use it. I'm just getting back into losing weight so my time on the elliptical is small but i'm up from 10 minutes to 14. Not too far but i'm making some progress!
  • bannan74
    bannan74 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is a great machine, though can be dull sometimes. I used it in the past to drop 45 lbs (before I found out I was pregnant with my son), and hope that now it will help me to lose 60 lbs. I listen to my favorite music, watch television,etc. to help me through my workouts. The fitness will come, just don't give up yet!
  • carholl
    Options
    OK, thanks to the elliptical I have lost 23 pounds. The one I was using was an older NordicTrack. I decided I had made enough of a commitment to it that I was gonna splurge and buy a new one, so I sold the NordicTract, bought the new fancy one. Had it delivered and set up 2 weeks ago. Got home that night to try it out and it was dead as a doornail. Right now I'm just ready for them to come pick it up and give me my money back, so needless to say I havent been on an elliptical in 2 weeks. But I'm doing other things in the morning, not nearly the workout the elliptical gives, but at least I'm not laying in bed til the last minute, right? I'm hopeful and optimistic that this issue will be resolved soon and I'll be back to burning those calories!
  • ASDavis72
    ASDavis72 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I use to LOVE the elliptical at the gym but ever since we purchased one I have lost some of my excitement. I use to dream about the elliptical at the gym staying on it way too long, but now I have to make myself get on the one in my basement. I don’t hate it I guess the thrill is gone, or I maybe I’m taking it for granted.
  • MelBristol
    Options
    I purchased a elliptical trainer. I used it for 3 weeks and returned it. It was a much cheaper version from what is at the gym so I found it very uncomfortable to use. Don't get me wrong, I love the elliptical trainer and exercise on it every day at the gym for 45 minutes and have lost a lot of weight. I would recommend trying the trainer at the store for at least 30 minutes or more before buying it and also to invest in a better quality elliptical trainer.

Same here! I bought one over a year ago for 200 pounds and have probably used it less than 20 times. I love the ones in the gym, lifefitness they are called and quite pricey - 2-3k
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I love mine but hate it while using it unless I am just putzing around. Trying to do some HIIT training on it and that kicks my butt thoroughly! I do think I get a better workout on the ellpitical than almost anything else though, so even though it can be tough, still have to say I love it.
  • mjkpe
    mjkpe Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I bought a NordicTrack e7.1 after dumping my expensive YMCA membership, (I was one of their best customers as I hardly ever went). So far it works well. Best bang for the buck and closest to gym quality without breaking the bank, (under $1000 including 3 year in-home maintenance contract).

I have many arthristis issues with a hip replacement in 2005 and the opposite knee was starting to hurt. Diagnosis: Replacement. Under doctor's appoval I was taking an 800 mg ibuprofen and a Tramadol just to get some sleep. Got on the elliptical and now I have cut out almost all meds, (only 2 ibu's in the last 2 weeks). I was also taking glucosomine, condroiton ans MSM but have stopped! Knee pain is almost gone.

I'm 53 years old with for the most part a sedentary job but occasionally have to climb near vertical ladders, (on ships). I gained about 100 pounds in the 21 years I've worked here. But after using the machine the pain is greatly reduced, I have more energy and find I don't sweat tsunami's any more, (love that analogy).

Hang in there!
  • berntom71
    berntom71 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i bought a precor brand elliptical.i love it.i have degenerating hips lower back and knees
    it doesnt hurt me at all.i started at 5 minutes and had to take breaksi am up to 20 minutes now and am planning to add more minutes next week .
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    i bought a precor brand elliptical.i love it.i have degenerating hips lower back and knees
    it doesnt hurt me at all.i started at 5 minutes and had to take breaksi am up to 20 minutes now and am planning to add more minutes next week .

Love, love, love Precor!