Introductions

Options
Quasita
Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
Since every group seems to have one of these... LOL

Name: Lynn
About Me:
I'm a queer identifying female, born and raised in Nebraska. I came out on the Day of Silence 2005, on the steps of our state capitol. At the time, I identified as "not straight" but now am comfortable with the term queer, though sometimes I will use bisexual to "simplify" the situation.
I graduated from Univ. Of NE-Lincoln with a degree in Ethnic, Cultural, and Gender literature in December of 2005. My main area of study was in GLBTQA literature and Native American women, though I also studied many regional areas of folklore as well as classics. Even with all this, my favorite authors are Clive Barker and Christopher Bramm, both gay men, but I only found that out after I read them :)
I had the blessing of meeting and discussing activism with the venerable Dorothy Allison, as well as be embraced by lesbian slam poet Stacey Ann Chinn as her sister. I never felt more part of a loving family as I did the day that I came out, and I've fought with all my heart ever since.

As for my blood relatives, out of the 8 members of my immediate family, 3 of the 6 kids are "out".

I'm on MFP because I am a recovering anorexic/bulimic/binge eating sufferer, and trying to lose the weight I gained due to my disorder in a healthy way. I created this group because I wanted to open a door to people where they could ask their questions, speak their minds, seek strength, learn, and prosper in their identities as we all succeed on our fitness paths.

Please feel free to contact me about anything, anytime. I am almost always around somewhere :)

Peace and Love,
Lynn

Replies

• Smiler106
    Smiler106 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thanks for making this forum Lynn!

Ok my turn:

Name: Claire
    About me:
    I am a lesbian and currently live in Cardiff with my partner who is also on MFP (TinyTee106). I work in the oil field and spend half my life on an oil rig.
    I've never been very good at controling my weight. At my heaviest I was 220 lbs, and at my lightest (as an adult) I was 165 lbs. I currently tip the scales at 185 lbs, which is borderline obese for somebody of 5'6".
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Name: Mike
    About Me:
    I live in Seattle with my husband and our dog, cat, and bird. I've never been athletic, but at some point I decided I should not let my issues about sports while growing up gay in the Midwest prevent me from having a smoking hot body :) It's a work in progress.
  • repoman150
    repoman150 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hey all, Im Dave 41 from Chicago, Illinois.

G/W/M who stepped out of the shower one day, got a real good look in the mirror and realized my weight was getting out of control, partly due to job stress, partly due to depression, and partly due to being just plain LAZY. I started working out at the gym oct 2011 weighing in at 250lbs, found my fitness pal at 234 lbs and am now down to 207. Im looking and feeling much better!!! Ive actually come to love my workouts so much, that im actually going for my ACE certification to become a personal trainer. To me, the idea of helping someone loose weight, workout, and watch their body transform is incredible. Always looking for new friends :)
  • Quasita
    Options
    About Me:
    I live in Seattle with my husband and our dog, cat, and bird. I've never been athletic, but at some point I decided I should not let my issues about sports while growing up gay in the Midwest prevent me from having a smoking hot body :) It's a work in progress.

Dang man, who'da thunk, another Nebraskan?? You're like, the first person I've found on here that was remotely connected to the state! LOL Where did you grow up?
  • MikeSEA
    Options
    About Me:

Dang man, who'da thunk, another Nebraskan?? You're like, the first person I've found on here that was remotely connected to the state! LOL Where did you grow up?

Suburb of Omaha. I got my undergraduate degree from UNO.
  • Quasita
    Options
    About Me:

Oh snap son, is it still a suburb or has it been absorbed by now? lol I live in Benson, used to be in Dundee though... Always been midtown girl.
  • MikeSEA
    Options
    About Me:

Oh snap son, is it still a suburb or has it been absorbed by now? lol I live in Benson, used to be in Dundee though... Always been midtown girl.

I believe Ralston is still technically its own city for the moment. I always think of it as a suburb of Omaha.
  • Quasita
    Options
    About Me:

I believe Ralston is still technically its own city for the moment. I always think of it as a suburb of Omaha.

Yeah, Ralston is still technically separate, but it's getting surrounded. Omaha has basically reached Gretna. Takes longer to drive across the city than it does to go from city limit to Lincoln now hahaha :)
  • ronninator
    ronninator Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Name: Ronnie
    From: Western Kentucky, originally. Many places, now Salt Lake City area.
    About me:
    I live in northern Utah with my husband, 5 dogs, 2 cats, and 2 lizards. No kids. I'm not Mormon (which most people ask). I work with enterprise systems for my day job and write books for my sanity. I'm a huge comedy nerd and podcast fan.
    I am lazy as can be and I have issues with epic binges. I ended up about 100 pounds overweight, so I'm here to get it under control.
    I would characterize myself as being gender-neutral when it comes to dating relationships, but married to a man now. So, I am straight, but a huge fan of Lynn and would like to join the discussion.
    Not that it's significant to my point. I am here, and so are we all.
  • Quasita
    Options
    Name: Ronnie
    From: Western Kentucky, originally. Many places, now Salt Lake City area.
    About me:
    I live in northern Utah with my husband, 5 dogs, 2 cats, and 2 lizards. No kids. I'm not Mormon (which most people ask). I work with enterprise systems for my day job and write books for my sanity. I'm a huge comedy nerd and podcast fan.
    I am lazy as can be and I have issues with epic binges. I ended up about 100 pounds overweight, so I'm here to get it under control.
    I would characterize myself as being gender-neutral when it comes to dating relationships, but married to a man now. So, I am straight, but a huge fan of Lynn and would like to join the discussion.
    Not that it's significant to my point. I am here, and so are we all.

D'awww you made me blush! Thanks so much, and welcome. This is why I openly invited allies as well. You're awesome!
  • caroleslaststand
    caroleslaststand Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    What is the difference between message boards and forums? I found this group or board and later I found an "official" group (or board?) that appears to have been set up by the site owners. Bugs me that way I can never find a travel guide for negotiating things like this online. It's like people are expected to just have some kind of genetic predisposition that allows them to just know it all. Well, I was born in 1953. It's a lot of years and I only feel it at times like this when I can't figure out what's going on.

Once I figure out this message board and forums thing, is there anything else I should know? Geez, I'm sorry that this is kind of off topic, but I stumbled on this board and the "official" (bunch of letters) group and I don't want to go anywhere else now that I've found out that there are groups and boards (again....) for my people. I promise that once I figure it out I'll post an official introduction. I just hate feeling like I'm the only one who ever gets confused.
  • BanjoKd
    BanjoKd Posts: 150
    Options
    Hi you guys...i'm finally getting around to this....I'm Kim or Kd
    I grew up in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Asheville NC currently i live in Charlotte NC.

I'm a science geek. I work in a clinical laboratory...my degree is in Medical Techonology/Clinical Laboratory Science. Super boring to most people. I stay on the go and i'm very social. The odd thing is to be so social i loathe talking about myself...unless asked....so ask me anything.
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Name: Tony
    From: Ardmore Oklahoma, but live 20 mins south of Nashville, TN
    About me: I am a gold star gay guy. I came out to mom and sister when I was 17 and everyone else when I was 18. This year marked my 10 year anniversary.

I am a masc guy - some people wouldn't know about me unless I told them. I don't hide it- But I don't wear baby tee's and eye liner either. LOL.

I take pride in my appearance and was getting lax in that - so when my overweight roommate decided she was going to start dieting and trying to change - i decided I needed to do it with her to keep her motivated. 3.5 months later I am seeing a major difference in myself and still trying to keep her motivated even though it's tough sometimes.
  • ncast139
    ncast139 Posts: 59
    Options
    Hey all
    Name: Nicky

I noticed this group was created on my birthday so I HAD to join :-)
    I don't really know what to say about myself....um I'm a lesbian, I like to hike, camp, hang out with my amazing girlfriend, ride my motorcycle, go to METS games ( yeah I said it I'm a METS FAN!) . I'm really hoping to lose weight and keep it off. I have a tendency to fluxuate :-/ and I'm extremely competative so if anyone is involved in or knows of a challenge hit me up :-)
    Anything else you want to know just ask.
  • Rocky_isa_gnome
    Options
    Hey pals!
    Name: Rocky

Hey everyone, I'm a genderqueer punk rawk lesbian from Northern California, Sacramento area. I consider myself to be androgynous, but my curvy body betrays that androgyny and people just treat me like a bubbly girl... when I really see myself as a bubbly boi. That's why I'm here, mostly to lose the spare tire, and also the boobs.

Um, so yeah. Hi there.
  • ncast139
    ncast139 Posts: 59
    Options
    Welcome to the group! Add me if you would like :-)

~N~
  • rumandreason
    rumandreason Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi! I dunno if anyone still uses this forum but I'll introduce myself anyway :) Could use some queer allies on here!

Name: Anna
    From: Edinburgh, Scotland (but currently studying in Leeds, England)

About me: I'm a student midwife, I live with my partner and our two ratties in Leeds, but looking forward to moving once I graduate (only 1 year to go!). I'm vegan, trying to stay off the vegan junk food and keep plant-based. I just joined MFP but have been a member in the past. I last weighed in at 225lb. I'm 6ft tall so aiming for around 170lbs. I'm really looking forward to being fit more than anything, feel really shy about going to a gym or anything like that so I'm doing C25k in the park and a fair amound of cycling. On rest days I do Davina McCall workout videos. Love her so much!

I really like going to gigs, walking around the countryside and cooking. Thats it!
  • wait_loss
    wait_loss Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Raymond I am originally from Etobicoke a suburb or Toronto. Currently living outside Merlin, Ontario on the North Shore of Lake Erie. Across from Cleveland. yet to see betty white there though. We have ancre property that I live with my partner and Husband of 23 yrs. Since moving to the country we find it difficult to evercise as it is mostly drive everywhere. So we packed on the pounds. I hope to get out of the Overweight area and into the healthy weight area and maintain. For me Helathy is in the 180' to 140's lbs. I am 6 ft tall and thin frame. So my belly fat looks like I cary a preterm infant. I used to call it twins. My partner and I are trying to sell our country home so that we can go off and travel.
  • lifewithmikey
    lifewithmikey Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hey peeps! I'm Mikey! I'm 30 years old and live in L.A.
    About me: I'm a happy go lucky cutie that everyone should love :) LOVE ME! *breaks down and sobs* why won't you love me.... END SCENE!
    Um... wow lol I'm just a fun guy who is trying to shed some pounds and make some friends while doing so,
  • redrose129
    redrose129 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    I'm kind of nervous about introducing myself because I've faced a myriad of reactions but... I am an out happily married bisexual. I didn't realize how bad my weight had gotten until I couldn't fit any of my clothes. However, at that time, I still didn't think I was "that big" so I wasn't really motivated enough to do something about it. It was until my (now) ex-gf & I went on a weekend retreat and I felt awkward without clothes that I realized. And although she swears she didn't break up with me because of my weight, it was an abrupt, awkward, unforeseen break up I was completely shocked about that happened the day after we returned home from the retreat. We dated for almost 2 years and we broke up abruptly via text msg!! I was shocked & devastated!! That heart break jump started my desire to get fit and do something for me! I've almost lost 30 pounds and I'm feeling pretty good (I still have a looooong way to go :/ but I just keep telling myself one step at a time ;)