Black Bean Beer Chili (Alive Magazine)

Options
WARNING: I play a bit fast a loose with spices-I found this came out a bit bland, so I added thyme, basil, dried chili peppers and oregano until I felt it tasted better. Also, the recipe calls for dry beans-I used canned beans to save lots of time. I did make the tomato stuff (you will see what I am talking about), but I reckon you could use canned diced tomatos if you'd prefer. I believe fresh is better, but reality is reality and saving time sounds good to me! Oh, I used gluten-free beer, if that matters to anyone. Happy Cooking!

INGREDIENTS
1.5 cups (350 ml) dried black beans (I used two cans of black beans)
4 medium tomatos (chopped)
1 tbsp (15ml) apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp (15ml) minced chipotle chili pepper in abodo sauce OR 1 tsp (5ml) ancho chili powder (I just used hot sauce here because I cannot cut hot peppers without burning my eyeballs)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp grapeseed or extra virgin olive oil
1 large yellow onion chopped
1 large carrot chopped
3 garlic cloves minced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 cup (250 ml) frozen corn
2 celery stalks (sliced)
1 cup porter or stout beer
2 tbsp tomato paste

OPTIONAL GARNISH:
Avocado
CIlantro

INSTRUCTIONS:

BEANS (if from dry):
Place beans in a large bowl, cover with water, and let soak for several hours. Drain beans, place in saucepan, and add enough water to cover by 2 inches/5cm. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer covered for 40 minutes, or until slightly tender. They will soften further in the chili.

MAIN:
Add tomatoes, cider vinegar, chipotle chili in abodo sauce, cumin, thyme, and salt and pepper to blender or food processor and blend until smoothe.

In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and carrot; cook for 5 minutes. Add garlic, red pepper, corn and celery; cook for 2 minutes. Add black beans, beer, tomato paste and tomato mixture. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.

Serve garnished with avocado and cilantro.

It says it serves 6, but I wrote it serves 5 and have already entered the nutritional info into the database and included it below as well. Enjoy!

Calories: 271

Carbs: 48

Fat: 2

Protein: 12

Replies

• becca112493
    Options
    Thank you for this group! I just went vegan about a week and a half ago (although I've been dairy free for a while because I'm lactose intolerant) and sometimes it's hard to eat vegan in my school's dining commons. I really appreciate this group!!
  • Vegan75
    Vegan75 Posts: 2
    Options
    I've been vegan for two years now and love it. I tried to be completely raw, however, I have difficulty when it's cold outside. I do fine in the spring and summer. But, in the winter I need to eat hot food for dinner. I concentrate on bean soups, vegan chili, etc. I have loads of delicious recipes if anyone is interested.
  • Leesseebee
    Leesseebee Posts: 216
    Options
    Yay! And yes, PLEASE share!
    I have access to vegan raw deserts if you would like-I try not to do much in the way of deserts-so I have not tried them, but let me know if you want them and I will pass them along!