Adding back breastfeeding calories- thoughts?

Options
Nursing moms or just moms in general....do you or would you add back the breastfeeding calories to your diet? In theory, I burn 500 calories from nursing/pumping and have been adding them but not sure if I should? Should I be making sure I eat the 500 extra and the workout calories?

My son is 6 months old and just starting baby food. I've got a pretty solid supply so I'm wondering do I risk losing it if I don't give myself that extra 500? (I pump and save what he doesn't eat).

( I'd rather be able to nurse without losing weight than lose weight and lose the ability to nurse)

Thanks!

Replies

• Megmiranda23
    Megmiranda23 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    No answer but hopefully others will weigh in on the subject. I am nursing a 2 month old and adding 500 calories into my daily intake. Seems like it defeats the purpose of weight loss, yet that is what everything on here says to do!
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should add the calories. I have read different info on how many calories to eat when nursing, but generally most resources say to add 300-500 calories or eat around 1800 calories for weight loss while maintaining supply. MFP gave me a goal of 1200 a day but I add the 500 to make my goal 1700. If I am hungry I will eat a bit more but don't stress if I am under my 1700-1800 goals once in awhile if I am not hungry.

Also wanted to add that if your MFP calorie goal is determined based on calories needed for weight loss. So, you would already be at a calorie deficit if you were not breastfeeding. Adding the 500 calories you burn through breastfeeding ensures that you are still eating enough to maintain supply while still being at a calorie deficit. Hope that makes sense. There is lots of info on the boards about eating at or above your BMR, etc, which gets a bit confusing. But, basically, you don't want to eat too few calories that your metabolism starts to slow down, which defeats the purpose in the long run.

Edited again to add that I don't usually eat back my exercise calories. I don't do strenuous exercise, though (just your usual gym workout for now). IMO, MFP overestimates the calories burned through exercise. Again, if I was super hungry and had no more calories left I would eat something healthy, but in general I don't eat those calories back.
  • hpound
    hpound Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks! That does help. I think i'll continue to eat back the BF calories but try to keep off the exercise ones unless i'm really hungry.
  • sar123bear
    Options
    For simplicity, if you do the math, the average female needs let's say 2000-2100 cals/day to survive/maintain - if you have roughly a 20-30% deficit (which BTW you should not dip below very often) of 400-600 cals/day lets say, multiply that by 7 it's roughly a pound a week (2800-4200 less cals/week). think about it... the typical 1200 cals is 8-900 cals less/day - almost half of what you should be eating... your body will likely think you're starving if u keep that high of a deficit regularly and furthermore if you're breastfeeding and exercising and not adding that back??? OMG!!. :) To start, what I did was go to http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm and figured out how many calories I need: for example: 34 years old, 5'4" @ 188 w/ little exercise (I don't add the exercise to the calculator since the calories burned vary) it says I need the following: for Maintenance 1847 CALORIES/DAY, for Fat Loss :1504 CALORIES/DAY and for Extreme Fat Loss it says it's TOO LOW. Taking that into consideration, I have set up MyFitnessPal to match that 1500 goal and try my hardest to get 1500 net calories per day. BUT... I am breastfeeding... typically if your little one gets most or all of their calories from you, it's roughly 500 cals / day burned (20 cals per ounce x 24-30 oz on average- plus if I pump and store, I add those calories back too- say 3 oz x 20= 60 extra), so..... normally I add 500 calories / day via the food section for a whopping 2000 calories to eat and then if I get exercise, say 200 calories burned, then I eat those back for a whopping 2200 /day... bottom line is I aim to get at least 1300-1500 net calories/day so I don't go into starvation mode. It's hard because I'm "satisfied" with 1000-1200 calories/day with how much healthier I'm eating, so I have to remember to eat enough. My typical day consists of 400 cals for breakfast, 400 cals for lunch, 4-600 cals for snacks, 5-800 for dinner. I aim to get protein in at every meal... goal for the meals is to have protein, a starchy carb, and a veggie or a fruit at every meal and I try to get enough water and healthy liquid fats so my milk supply doesn't dip too. I'm limiting packaged foods... hardly adding any salt or sugar to my meals I make (when I do, it's morton's light salt along w/ some Mrs. Dash salt free seasoning or honey for sugar- and I've replaced butter w olive oil/italian dressing. Oh, and I try to eat every 3 hours. :) If you want to look at my food diary on MyFitnessPal, it's open to my friends, just add me. :) Exercise is minimal right now, but as much as I can, usually 3x a week for 20-30 mins is my goal- some crunches, leg lifts, arm workouts, walking, dancing... nothin too heavy. :-) I'm losing anywhere from 1-3.5 lbs/week and have lost 62 lbs since 12/14 (and only 25-30 of that was baby). Hope this helps! I run a free post pregnancy weight loss group on FB - if you'd like to join, it's a really great group & we'd love more active/supportive members - let me know! :)

17881265.png
  • kristinL16
    Options
    I am 5' tall, 150 lbs. Very sedentary job. BMR is roughly 1350-1400 depending on which method is used. Freedieting.com has me at 1620 for maintenance plus BF cals, 1320 for fat loss. Adding the BF calories would put me at about 1800, which is roughly what I shoot for. I have the goal in my diary listed at 1700 but some days I am over, some days under. The first two weeks I workd out 3 times each week and lost 2.5 and 1.5. The last two weeks I haven't worked out at all (although I have gone for some walks around the neighborhood with the kids) and have lost .5 over the two weeks. When I work out the machines at the gym say I have burned between 100-200 calories for a 45 minute workout, but MFP gives me over 250-300 when I enter it, which is why I think it is too high.
  • Sondras09
    Sondras09 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Great explination! Im at a standstill and i HAVE to lose weight. Im military and have my fitness test in 2 months. Im having a hard time figuring out how many calories I really actually need daily. Id love to be added to your group!

For simplicity, if you do the math, the average female needs let's say 2000-2100 cals/day to survive/maintain - if you have roughly a 20-30% deficit (which BTW you should not dip below very often) of 400-600 cals/day lets say, multiply that by 7 it's roughly a pound a week (2800-4200 less cals/week). think about it... the typical 1200 cals is 8-900 cals less/day - almost half of what you should be eating... your body will likely think you're starving if u keep that high of a deficit regularly and furthermore if you're breastfeeding and exercising and not adding that back??? OMG!!. :) To start, what I did was go to http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm and figured out how many calories I need: for example: 34 years old, 5'4" @ 188 w/ little exercise (I don't add the exercise to the calculator since the calories burned vary) it says I need the following: for Maintenance 1847 CALORIES/DAY, for Fat Loss :1504 CALORIES/DAY and for Extreme Fat Loss it says it's TOO LOW. Taking that into consideration, I have set up MyFitnessPal to match that 1500 goal and try my hardest to get 1500 net calories per day. BUT... I am breastfeeding... typically if your little one gets most or all of their calories from you, it's roughly 500 cals / day burned (20 cals per ounce x 24-30 oz on average- plus if I pump and store, I add those calories back too- say 3 oz x 20= 60 extra), so..... normally I add 500 calories / day via the food section for a whopping 2000 calories to eat and then if I get exercise, say 200 calories burned, then I eat those back for a whopping 2200 /day... bottom line is I aim to get at least 1300-1500 net calories/day so I don't go into starvation mode. It's hard because I'm "satisfied" with 1000-1200 calories/day with how much healthier I'm eating, so I have to remember to eat enough. My typical day consists of 400 cals for breakfast, 400 cals for lunch, 4-600 cals for snacks, 5-800 for dinner. I aim to get protein in at every meal... goal for the meals is to have protein, a starchy carb, and a veggie or a fruit at every meal and I try to get enough water and healthy liquid fats so my milk supply doesn't dip too. I'm limiting packaged foods... hardly adding any salt or sugar to my meals I make (when I do, it's morton's light salt along w/ some Mrs. Dash salt free seasoning or honey for sugar- and I've replaced butter w olive oil/italian dressing. Oh, and I try to eat every 3 hours. :) If you want to look at my food diary on MyFitnessPal, it's open to my friends, just add me. :) Exercise is minimal right now, but as much as I can, usually 3x a week for 20-30 mins is my goal- some crunches, leg lifts, arm workouts, walking, dancing... nothin too heavy. :-) I'm losing anywhere from 1-3.5 lbs/week and have lost 62 lbs since 12/14 (and only 25-30 of that was baby). Hope this helps! I run a free post pregnancy weight loss group on FB - if you'd like to join, it's a really great group & we'd love more active/supportive members - let me know! :)

17881265.png
  • zukkiz
    zukkiz Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    All of these explanations are wonderful and just what I have needed. I have lost 27.5 pounds since joining and a total of 30 since %December. I know I must be doing something right, I just stress that lil man won't get enough. He is 10 months, eats with us at the table, and still nurses up a storm.

So this what I have been doing:

1750 for regular calories
    1250 net calories

I was going off the lightly active recommendation. I made a change though and put in 1750 for my base. I tried to get their recommended 1250 with adding in breastfeeding and exercise. I also have diverticulitis, so I eat a high fiber diet, which also helps. I get at least 35 grams a day, and I eat every 3 hours also. I also work out M-F, doing the 10 minute trainer by Tony Horton. I still added in my bf and exercise.

Sometimes though I get stagnant so I thought maybe I haven't been doing it right. So this week I switched to sedentary and put my goal to 1580. I will be Adding in all my exercising and bf and making sure my net is 1580. Does that seem right? Or should it be 1200?
  • kristinL16
    Options
    zukkiz--have you figured out your BMR or TDEE? If so, what are those numbers?
  • zukkiz
    Options
    I had to look up what TDEE is 1822. I got that from 2 different sites.
    Freedieting: TDEE 1761 (little or no exercise)
    Then I found a basic formula that shows my TDEE to be 2625.

My BMR from here is 1461
    My BMR from freedieting for BF is 1552

I dion't know why I am letting these numbers stress me out. I have already lost 28 pounds in three months. I believe it is my OCD that is just stressing me.

I bought a HRM and used that today and for my 33 min workout I burned 419 calories.

I think what I am getting hung up on, is what to set my goal as. I want to get enough calories for feeding lil man, but also to lose about 1.5 pounds a week.

Any help is appreciated.

Before I forget here are my stats.

Height: 65.5 inches
    Weight: 175
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    i added mine back for the longest time, then i stoped and just set my daily goal to 1644(my tdee), i have read that if bfing full time you prolly should keep your cal goal around 2000 daily.
  • kristinL16
    Options
    Everything that I have read says that when breastfeeding you should stay around 1700-1800 (at least) calories per day. I have also read that you should add 300 or 500 (have read different things) calories to what you would normally need to eat to lose weight. I agree that the info on the boards can be crazy-making. MFP had me at 1200 calories. My BMR is either 1214 or 1416 depending on the method used to calculate it. The breastfeeding calculator at freedieting.com. It says only in the 1500's (don't remember exactly). I think that took into account activity (sedentary), not just BMR. Anyway, I took the 1200 and added 500 to put me at 1700 cals per day. If I exercise I may or may not eat some of those calories. I have been really inconsistent with my workouts but have lost more when I got to the gym 3 times per week.

How long have you been at a plateau? If you are doing well, I would just stick with what you are doing. I am confused about your question regarding 1750 total calories but 1200 net. Do you mean that you would eat 1750 but burn 550 through exercise?

My understanding from reading threads is that you should take your TDEE (make sure you add breastfeeding calories to that) and then subtract by 10-20% to get your daily calorie goal.

Another thing to be aware of is that as baby gets older your calorie needs will go down. After each of my pregnancies I started gaining weight again between 10-12 months. Even though I was still breastfeeding baby was not getting/needing as much milk and I was apparently eating more than I needed to. So you may need to only add 300 calories instead of 500. Or maybe even less as he gets closer to a year old.
  • zukkiz
    Options
    To be honest my plateau wasn't very long at all. I just wanted to stop it before it got too bad.

I only count 300 calories for breastfeeding, since he is 10 months. Though he still nurses just as much as before and eats regular food like a champ.

I would eat 1750 and burn 200 for exercise and 300 for breastfeeding. I was doing it all wrong.

So I put my MFP goal at 1565 and didn't count my bf as exercise I put it in my food diary instead. Then I exercised and ate back those calories. My net eating was 1565 yesterday. I still think I have this wrong.

I have seen your 40/30/30 thread and I am going to do some more research. You see this time around I want to make a definite
    lifestyle change.

Thanks for all your help.
  • kristinL16
    Options
    I do know that after my other children I would lose for awhile, then nothing, then all of a sudden lose again. I wasn't doing anything to lose weight it just happened. I wish I would have been paying more attention to what I was doing so I knew what to do this time! :)

I think as baby gets older something changes in the amount of calories that we need to keep breastfeeding, even if the number of times nursing remains the same. I nursed my second and third children until they were 3 and 2 1/2 and still had the weight gain happen around 10-12 months of age. But, I know that when I tried to pump a few times after they were a year old I didn't get nearly as much milk as I had before.

Why do you think there is such a difference in the two TDEE's that you calculated? Have you used the calculator on fat2fitradio? You should at least be netting your BMR plus 300 for BF, I believe.
  • sar123bear
    Options
    Think of it this way - the average woman needs 2000 cals to survive/maintain their current weight, average breastfeeding burns 500 cals for the first 6 months of life. 500 cals x 7 days = 3500 cals = 1 lb / week. You really could do nothing more than breastfeed and lose plenty of weight. I am losing anywhere from 1-2 lbs/week consistently, not plateauing since I started this way of eating, and I've recently even bumped my calories up even further, and I started losing FASTER still after slowing down a tad!!

The thing to keep in mind is your body adapts and adjusts / catches up to what you're doing- it's job is to keep you alive. You need to re-evaluate your goals if you're stuck. Sometimes that means UPPING your calories, not decreasing them... and lightening up on your exercise unless you've eaten a ton more than you should have. I'm not saying exercise is bad... I'm just saying don't get too much of a deficit. 1200 cals net is far too low and will VERY likely result in damage to your metabolism and possibly even your milk supply.

Yes, you will lose weight on 1200 calories a day, but it'll stop and you'll be confused and frustrated and then likely give up because nothing is working anymore... then when you give up, the weight comes pouring back on because your body has "ramped down" it's metabolism because you "told it" for so long that you needed less to survive.

Exercise will cause you to lose inches more-so than pounds, but strength training boosts your metabolism... as long as you're getting proper fuel to sustain that activity. If you are exercising, I can't stress enough that you should take before pics and measurements to gauge your success vs. the scale so that you remain motivated to stick with it. But please, get enough to eat... a double deficit doesn't help you in the long run unless you plan to keep that way of life up for the rest of your life. You'll see even better results by giving your body the calories it needs to build muscle.

Moderation is the key most times with everything in life. Keep that in mind. :bigsmile:

Best of luck in your weight loss journey!!

PS - don't be discouraged if you gain at first by increasing your cals... you may want to slowly ramp up to allow your metabolism time to adjust, or just go for the gusto and understand this very likely will happen but only at first then the pounds start melting away.
  • zukkiz
    Options
    You both are wonderful thanks!!!

Let me give you the numbers I have figured out and see if I have gotten this straight.

First, Kristin, I think I found this site that had me multiply something against a certain number and that is why the TDEE was so high. Trust me I checked out other sites and wont be using that one.

So I went to fat2fitradio and this is what I got.

Entered information: 43 year old female, 65.5 inches tall, weighing 174.5 pounds.

From the information that you entered, you'd like to weigh 150 lbs.

Katch-McArdle Forumla
    The numbers above are fairly accurate, however they don't take into account your lean body mass. A more accurate formula that does take your lean body mass into account is the Katch-McArdle formula. Since many of us have scales that will tell us our current body fat, this formula may yield more accurate results. Based on the information you provided, body fat percentage of 33.1%, you have a lean body mass of 117 lbs., and your BMR is 1519 calories.

Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1696

My TDEE 1696 x .20 it is 2035 then add in my 300 it is 2335. So I won't go over that ever.

So I put my MFP goal as 1650, put my bf in foods added at -300, and will be eating all my exercise calories. I did something similar yesterday, but I had my calories at 1565, my net came to 1563, but I ate 2089.

Do I have the idea down correctly or am I way off base?

I do have to say that I have used the Mobile app the most and it doesn't automatically up your totals at the end like on the site. On this site it adds my exercise calories in.
  • kristinL16
    Options
    I;'m confused about why you are taking your TDEE x .20 and adding it to your TDEE. You should subtract 10-20% from your TDEE, not add to it. Then add your 300 breastfeeding calories. If you aren't accounting for your exercise when you calculated your TDEE then eat back some of your exercise cals if you want. If you already accounted for them then you probably shouldn't eat them back.
  • zukkiz
    Options
    I got it from this post:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/542144-40-30-30?hl=kristinL16#posts-7618847

The 20% added is for maintainence mode. According to sar123bear on that post.

I haven"t accounted for my exercise calories, I used the sedentary mode.

Aside from the confusion do you think I am doing it right?
  • kristinL16
    Options
    I'm not sure why sar13bear is adding 20% to her TDEE. Maybe she can clarify that. I haven't seen that anywhere and it doesn't make sense to me. If your TDEE is the amount of calories that you need to maintain your current weight, adding 20% to it would mean a weight gain, not a loss.
  • sar123bear
    Options
    zukkiz - you have it exactly correct - good job!
  • sar123bear
    Options
    I'm not sure why sar13bear is adding 20% to her TDEE. Maybe she can clarify that. I haven't seen that anywhere and it doesn't make sense to me. If your TDEE is the amount of calories that you need to maintain your current weight, adding 20% to it would mean a weight gain, not a loss.

I'm adding 20% to the recommended calorie deficit, which is equivalent to your "FUTURE" TDEE, not your current one.... It's important to understand the distinction between your current TDEE and your recommended TDEE at your GOAL WEIGHT. These are two very different things. Does that help?