Introductions

Options

Replies

• FammaMel
    FammaMel Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I am new to Stronglifts and have been reading intently and watching YouTube videos in order to understand more. I have only worked with free weights and TRX so I have no knowledge of this type of weight lifting. I am a bit worried that I am doing something wrong. I am planning on asking the trainer at my TRX if he can help me get familiar with the weights so I can get started soon. I have been a cardio buff for years but am now really gearing my life weight goals towards being healthy and fit not so much on the scale per se. That being said I have about 10-15 pounds I would like to either lose or tone up.

Open to all tips and suggestions.

Melanie
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I am new to Stronglifts and have been reading intently and watching YouTube videos in order to understand more. I have only worked with free weights and TRX so I have no knowledge of this type of weight lifting. I am a bit worried that I am doing something wrong. I am planning on asking the trainer at my TRX if he can help me get familiar with the weights so I can get started soon. I have been a cardio buff for years but am now really gearing my life weight goals towards being healthy and fit not so much on the scale per se. That being said I have about 10-15 pounds I would like to either lose or tone up.

Melanie

the articles and videos that are posted on the strong lifts blog are really informative and helpful. Also anything from Rippetoe (like go to youtube and google rippetoe + whatever exercise and watch that)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I am Mary Beth, I used to lift A LOT when I was in high school and early in college. Found that as I started losing weight by eating better and running that I wanted to start lifting more often. Initially I started with Jamie Eason's Live Fit Trainer. I made it through 8 weeks and got kind of tired of all of the complicated and seemingly random lifts. I had heard good things about Stronglifts so I figured I would check it out! Thankful there is a ladies group now :)

I am 9 pounds from my goal weight, but am pretty happy where I am. I love how I haven't really lost a pound in a few months but people I see regularly are constantly flipping out saying how much leaner I look. They all say, "How have you done it?" I say, "Lifting weights!" Love the surprised looks on their faces!
  • lucyhoneychurch
    lucyhoneychurch Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm just following Gemi, Tameko2 and probably GlaDOS as soon as she joins here. :laugh:

I'm 39, 5'2", CW: 126lbs. I lost my weight last year and reached goal in September 2011, and my main focus is to get rid of my muffin top, barring any genetic restrictions. I'll give it my best shot! I'm in week 5 of NROLFW Stage 1, but am eyeing Stronglifts to either replace it in the fall or to do after finishing NR.

I'm a newbie to lifting weights, but know that it is the key to burning fat. I have an older sister who is The Runner/Marathoner and a younger sister who is a Powerlifter, so I might as well work on being as fit and as athletic as I can to keep up with them.

Glad to be here!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm Rae.

I also did New Rules but didn't like the weird-ness after Stage 1. I switched to a more body building split routine over the winter, then switched to Strong Lifts 5 weeks ago.
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Hola, great group! I just started this, will do workout 4 tomorrow. I love to lift, used to powerlift in high school but got lazy and very very weak. I thought I was doing pretty good lately but this tiny girl kicked my *kitten* in the gym a few weeks ago so I realized I needed to up my game big time and my current "just wing it" routine apperantly wasn't cutting it so I thought I'd take the leap of faith of a 3 exercise routine... here is hoping!

I think my fave part so far is the timer on the ap... simple things!

Question - the other day the ap for some feedback and it said I'd get a free gift, but I accidently clicked out before I accepted... did anybody do this and what did they get?
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Excited to be in this group! :)

I started with just DB lifting last July but finally got some good equipment and start NROLFW about 3 weeks ago. It's only been ok. I realized there are a lot of extra lifts I'm not really interested in and seem unnecessary, so I switched to SL. It has all the necessary and more fun lifts I want to focus on, and it's a much shorter routine.
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

Melanie
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I started with a trainer and he showed me how to get my form down. I also worked out a lot with TRX and that will help you greatly with the squats in the program! I'm in the same boat--about 10 pounds left and I'd love to get my body fat and inches down as well.

Melanie
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I've got around a hundred pounds to lose but honestly I'm not really bothered *that* much by my weight- I want to get stronger. I'm recovering from brain injury that had me in a wheelchair full time for a few years. Getting recovered daily and have always loved lifting weights so am modifying the 5x5 program to what I can do.

I don't really have super high goals yet- more of just getting gradual improvements in strength. I'm not afraid to get LadyBuff :D

My weights so far aren't much to speak of. Just on week two and I started out empty hands and bodyweight only. I added a regular (15lb) bar and am hoping to be able to do ten pounds tomorrow.

YOU TOTALLY ROCK!! And yeah what you're doing weight wise is something to speak of when you're rehabilitating. WAY TO GO!
  • Janda06
    Janda06 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Amanda!!

I'm on my 4th week of SL and really enjoying it. I finished all of NROLFW and really loved what it did for my body...so I knew I wanted to continue lifting. My upper body is way weaker than lower so I'm adding pullups to a workout and dips to another. Lifting and EATING friends feel free to add me :)

Oh and I'm eating at maintenance for now @130lbs. I would like to try to cut a few lbs of fat eventually....maybe even do a bulk for fall/winter. :/
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Hi, just started SL today. I've been lifting already for 3 months so I figured I'd jump into this. What got me on this was a topic posted by Rae subject "Jamie Eason's LiveFit Trainer kind of sucks." I had just started on phase 3 of Jamie's 12 week trainer and had seen some ok results. But as I kept doing the workouts the "kind of sucks" part was stuck in the back of my head. I started searching for other programs, and I was seeing a lot of different ones with compound movements. The part that sucked about her LiveFit trainer was that there was too many isolation movements. So right in the middle of Phase 3 I quit the trainer and started SL workout B. I have seen NROL4W recommended over and over again, but I'm going after all the FREE stuff I can get before I get the book. Money is tight right now, and I'm cutting down costs where I can.

I didn't start with the bar though, I already added the weights, I am really comfortable with where I'm at right now. I'm not worried if I have to stay at the weights for a few weeks. Right now it's
    Squats: 100
    Overhead Press: 60
    Deadlift: 100
    Not sure where I'm at on the bench press. Last I checked I could do about 8@60lbs and probably 50lbs on the barbell row. We'll see on Friday :) Glad I found this group. I've heard so many good things about this program and I've been recommending it to a friend who is trying to bulk up (wasting her time on Jamie's program!)
  • tameko2
    Options
    Hola, great group! I just started this, will do workout 4 tomorrow. I love to lift, used to powerlift in high school but got lazy and very very weak. I thought I was doing pretty good lately but this tiny girl kicked my *kitten* in the gym a few weeks ago so I realized I needed to up my game big time and my current "just wing it" routine apperantly wasn't cutting it so I thought I'd take the leap of faith of a 3 exercise routine... here is hoping!

I think my fave part so far is the timer on the ap... simple things!

Question - the other day the ap for some feedback and it said I'd get a free gift, but I accidently clicked out before I accepted... did anybody do this and what did they get?

It was a little pamphlet on bench pressing. It was very meh, you didn't miss anything. I can dig it up if you want it.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Hi, just started SL today. I've been lifting already for 3 months so I figured I'd jump into this. What got me on this was a topic posted by Rae subject "Jamie Eason's LiveFit Trainer kind of sucks." I had just started on phase 3 of Jamie's 12 week trainer and had seen some ok results. But as I kept doing the workouts the "kind of sucks" part was stuck in the back of my head. I started searching for other programs, and I was seeing a lot of different ones with compound movements. The part that sucked about her LiveFit trainer was that there was too many isolation movements. So right in the middle of Phase 3 I quit the trainer and started SL workout B. I have seen NROL4W recommended over and over again, but I'm going after all the FREE stuff I can get before I get the book. Money is tight right now, and I'm cutting down costs where I can.

I didn't start with the bar though, I already added the weights, I am really comfortable with where I'm at right now. I'm not worried if I have to stay at the weights for a few weeks. Right now it's
    Squats: 100
    Overhead Press: 60
    Deadlift: 100
    Not sure where I'm at on the bench press. Last I checked I could do about 8@60lbs and probably 50lbs on the barbell row. We'll see on Friday :) Glad I found this group. I've heard so many good things about this program and I've been recommending it to a friend who is trying to bulk up (wasting her time on Jamie's program!)

I kind of feel bad and happy at the same time! Glad you switched though. I bet you'll see much better results.
  • STurbs33
    STurbs33 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm Sara, 21, and I'm on my third week of SL. I've never really done any major weightlifting before. I have dumbbells at home but I was doing a lot of that high rep, low weight nonsense until MFP showed me the light and I realized how little that was helping me reach my goals. Prior to this program, I think that the last time I picked up a barbell was 5 years ago in my grade 11 fitness class, so this is definitely all very new to me. But I'm enjoying a lot so far, especially since I didn't realize how quickly I would be able to make such great strength gains.

Some highlights from the past 2 weeks on the program:
    -consistently adding weight to both squats and deadlifts. Also realizing that I could do deadlifts at over 100lbs with good form.
    -having my cousin gawk at my "bulging biceps" in our cardio kickboxing class last week. She said my arms were "seriously jacked". I took it as a huge compliment.
    -testing out the strengths of those "bulging biceps" on Monday just to see what I was able to curl. The last time I attempted to curl with 20lb weights, I failed after 3 reps. On Monday, I did 3 sets of 6-8. Sweet!
    -just the progress in general. I'm stuck at 50lbs for my overhead press, but last week I was only able to do 5,5,3,3 and didn't even get to the last set. This week I did 5,5,4,3,3. Huge improvement and hopefully I can bump the weight up after the next workout.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I've got around a hundred pounds to lose but honestly I'm not really bothered *that* much by my weight- I want to get stronger. I'm recovering from brain injury that had me in a wheelchair full time for a few years. Getting recovered daily and have always loved lifting weights so am modifying the 5x5 program to what I can do.

I don't really have super high goals yet- more of just getting gradual improvements in strength. I'm not afraid to get LadyBuff :D

My weights so far aren't much to speak of. Just on week two and I started out empty hands and bodyweight only. I added a regular (15lb) bar and am hoping to be able to do ten pounds tomorrow.

YOU TOTALLY ROCK!! And yeah what you're doing weight wise is something to speak of when you're rehabilitating. WAY TO GO!

aww shucks ma'am. Twern't nothin! :D Thank you for the compliment- now give me a year and I'll be benching 200lbs :D

THEN WE PARTAY!
  • tameko2
    Options
    Ladies, don't feel like starting with the bar (or a 50% deload from your 5 rep max if your weights got quite high) is a step backward - its really not, you'll be blasting past your old weights in a few weeks because adding 5lbs per workout is really really aggressive.

like if you were squatting a 120 5 rep max before and you deload to 60, you're going to be back at 120 in 12 workouts - that's only 4 weeks. Its actually LESS than 4 weeks becuase that was your 5 rep max and now you're doing 5x5 -- 25 of those over the course of 20-25 minutes or whatever.
  • Cathy7794
    Cathy7794 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Cathy and just started the stronglifts program yesterday. Other than a few machines that I've been using for the past couple weeks, I've never done any kind of weight lifting before. And, my first day proved that I'm a much bigger wimp than I thought I was so, I will not be posting how much I lifted. :tongue: Speaking of how much you all can lift...are you counting the weight of the bar also, or just the weights themselves?
  • tameko2
    Options
    Hi, I'm Cathy and just started the stronglifts program yesterday. Other than a few machines that I've been using for the past couple weeks, I've never done any kind of weight lifting before. And, my first day proved that I'm a much bigger wimp than I thought I was so, I will not be posting how much I lifted. :tongue: Speaking of how much you all can lift...are you counting the weight of the bar also, or just the weights themselves?

always count the bar. the bar weighs 45 pounds. That's a lot.
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Just make sure it is a good quality solid bar, if you are at a gym, don't be shy to ask somebody! There are some cheap ones out there that weigh less :( Though the cheap ones tend to be a good 10lbs off so you should be able to tell quite quickly :)