learning from our little ones

thomo71
thomo71 Posts: 20 Member
I dont know how other moms feel, but having started weaningmy little one:sad: about a month ago I'm beginning to realise how much I overeat. My little one will stop eating when he is full!! Simple, but how many of us carry on eating when we're low, happy, excited, depressed etc. I am or have been an emotional eater and have had to overcome this to lose weight. I actually stopped eating when I was full last night which for me a a big milestone. I also haven't had any chocolate for about a week now. Although I will admit to drooling over the thorntons eggs in the shop yesterday!! Where's my bib?:laugh:
How about you guys?
SarahX:flowerforyou:

Replies

• jessica1901
    jessica1901 Posts: 5 Member
    Hi - I'm new here:) But I agree. Our kids eat when they are hungry and stop when they are full. My kids are almost 6 and 9 and are thin as rails. I don't know when food becomes an emotional thing. I would guess for some earlier than others. I've been battling the emotional eating for half of my life now and it is amazing how I manage to sabotage myself at every turn.

Oh - and I remember when I weaned both of mine. It is hard to lose that attachment. The babies seem to do much better with it than we do:)
  • thomo71
    thomo71 Posts: 20 Member
    I started the emotional rollercoaster when I was about 10 years old. I'd get home from school and eat to cover up the feelings of failure and hurt when I got bullied for being overweight. 31 years on, its still hard but I'm in control now. Returned to work today, mentioned the website and one of the girls got the biscuits out. I resisted. I feel really strong at the moment.:happy:

Thanks for your reply.
  • jessica1901
    jessica1901 Posts: 5 Member
    Stay strong!! And mine started at the age of 12. Ironically, it was because I was made fun of for being too skinny. I would come home and eat ice cream every day. I didn't actually gain a lot of weight until after college and ever since then the emotional eating has gotten so much worse. I eat because:
    1. I feel bad and it will make me feel better
    2. I accomplished something and I deserve it
    3. or any other sick justification my mind can come up with.

I so want to be that person who eats because she's hungry, only eats what she needs, and doesn't think about food except when preparing a meal or eating it.

We'll get there. Just stay strong together. :smile: