Half Marathon Training Advice

Options
maura1110
maura1110 Posts: 171 Member
I have been training hard for my first half marathon on April 21st (so about 2.5 more weeks until race day). I have been following my training plan and completed an 11-mile long run last week (my longest distance so far). I felt a lot of muscle soreness after that because I did a 10 mile run only 2 days before, so I took 5 days off before running again.

Then last night, I did a regular 6 mile run. I'm very comfortable with this distance, did not push myself at all or feel any pain/discomfort during or after my run.

Then this morning when I woke up, my right knee was in so much pain! It hurts to walk! It almost feels like its in the back of my knee and it hurts when I straighten my leg out or walk. It's not swollen or anything.

It's so weird because I felt no pain during or immediately after the run but woke up with pain the following day. Has this happened to anyone, or does anyone have any idea what could have happened? Also, can I afford to take a few days off from training when I just took 5 days off before this AND my race is less than 3 weeks away? Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated, I have no idea what to do. Thanks!

Replies

• LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Well, I've read in several running articles that it's okay to take up to a week off, without having any major effect on running. After that point, though, it's probably going to effect your speed and endurance to some degree, though to what degree would be individual. I know I can take up to about a week off, and not have any issue getting back into it, and when I've taken more time off, it just means that my long runs are a bit slower, but I don't feel like I've "lost" too much.

If you did something to your knee that hurts badly enough to not walk, I don't know that there's anything else you can do but ice it and rest, maybe try to cross-train with some other activity that's less painful, like swimming or biking. You definitely don't want to push it to a point that you could really injure it.

I would give it a few days, and see if the pain eases up. If it doesn't, and it hurts just as badly, then I'd go have it checked out, if you can, because that could be something more serious. Sorry I don't have anything better to offer, but good luck!
  • angiek941
    angiek941 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Definitely rest it. I think that was too close together for those long runs. I usually try to give myself at least 5 days. I did 11 miles today in prep for my second half, and I'll give myself at least one day off and only do shorter runs for at least a few days after. I hope you're feeling better soon. Congrats on your training!
  • johnlatv
    johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    No problems taking some time off. I would say give it a few days see how you feel if you feel good pick up where you left off, if not take another day and ease into it again. Like the post above me, maybe cross train. good luck keep us posted