How do you log CF WODs? Exs not in database...

Options
LisaCFSF
LisaCFSF Posts: 258 Member
Seriously, there are no box jumps, squats, etc. let alone Turkish get ups, tire flips, or sledge hammer slams!!! How do you log a workout for semi accurate caloric burn when the database just doesn't cut it as far as CrossFit is concerned?

Replies

• jenaissance
    jenaissance Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    i use an HRM and log it under cardio. They need to fix that!
  • jenaissance
    jenaissance Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    oh or look it up on fitclick, but that's extremely time consuming.
  • zenJes
    zenJes Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    i use my hrm but i used to work out what i had done in the wod n go from there.. box jumps etc.. id count as calisthetics.. n id put in kb swings as they are pretty different too
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    HRM user as well, then I just add a new WOD to my database.
  • BrendarB
    BrendarB Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    I originally didn't have a HRM - so I logged exercise as Cardio and broke it down into components -
    mild stretching for about 5 minutes,
    calisthenics - home light (for the warm up)
    and then based on what the wod was, I would do either strenght training and estimate time,
    circuit training general for a more cardioy wod, or calisthenics - vigorous effort for like Cindyish type workouts.
    and then if we had rowing or jumproping, I would take that time out and do that separate.

I now have a HRM and use that - easier, but what I learned was that I was not that far off logging like I described up above vs what the hrm says.
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I've been using Beyond The Whiteboard for a few months to log workouts, just started loggin nutrition here. It would be nice to have them together but I LOVE BTWB, it was has the mainsite WOD and all the moves and you can create your own from the moves if your box doesn't post their WOD (some do) . It's $3 a month but totally worth it, lots of great report and summary features. I get a kick out of posting new PRs.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I don't really eat back my exercise calories as a rule so I just throw it under cardio for the calorie burn - I just do an estimate based on what we did...and usally skew it low for weights and then anything that is more cardio I will break it out...I will go in under strength training and put in what the lifts were

I have a HRM and use it on occassion to see if I am about right...
  • pruden6
    pruden6 Posts: 2
    Options
    hey ladies what is HRM?:smile:
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    hey ladies what is HRM?:smile:

Heart rate monitor.

We just did lifts tonight - cleans and front squats. I used a basis of 10 calories for each lift I did to estimate my calorie burn. I somehow wound up doing 2 extra sets of front squats though for a total of 21. My thighs are going to hurt tomorrow
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I log only what cardio I do in a WOD or afterwards in my skill training or endurance training. I don't worry about the rest of the WOD on here, I just sleep easy knowing I burned even more calories than this site says that I did.
  • Jentheoriginal
    Jentheoriginal Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just created a new WOD under cardio (even though it isn't all cardio). I asked my box owner what people typically burn in 1 hour. His response 800-1000 calories, depending on the workout. I figured that for me, I'm doing less, still newer to it, and not to my full potential so I log 450. I usually always eat those calories, cuz I"m STARVING post workout! Especially on days I run too!!!
  • kvissy
    kvissy Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I google the exercises to see how much is burned in an hour and then divide it by the time that I'm actually doing it. Of course if you're using a weight that's higher or a higher box for BJ's, etc your calorie count should be higher but I figured let me log SOMETHING.

I also go for the lower number so as not to cheat myself.

I definitely need to get an HRM!!
  • DJStewie
    DJStewie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I use a less scientific approach(i.e. lazy). Workouts that shoot my heart rate up I just log as calisthenics(vigorous). Warm-ups i log as calisthenics(moderate/light) and strength days well, there is a category for that. I do log rowing and running WODs seperately if possible.

I don't use MFP as my workout log either though, just rough estimate of extra calories I can eat.