Medications causing weight gain?

Options
Hiyas everyone!

I'm from the UK, but wanted to put this out there. How many of you think that your meds cause you to gain weight?

I have suffered from fibromyalgia for the last 11 years, and during that time I have put on 5 stone in weight! I don't know if it is comfort eating, eating because of the depression caused by fibromyalgia, the meds, or a combination of all the above!

What do you think?

Replies

• rysprincess94
    rysprincess94 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I most definitely believe that the meds can cause weight gain. I have always been overweight. But since I have been on this roller coaster ride of fibro, its been even more difficult weight wise. With trying different meds, on and off I have gained almost 25 lbs. in the past few years. Up until I started this MFP program almost 2 weeks ago I weighed the same as when I delivered both of my kids. And I also agree that the depression part of this illness impacts the weight. Comfort eating, wanting to sleep the day away, etc. I would recommend talking to your doctor about using a med where weight gain is not a prominent side affect or just push yourself hard to get out of your comfort zone. Make sure you get up, shower and get dressed, everyday...make sure you are getting some form of exercise everyday...its all about establishing good habits and routines. Stick with it! I wish you the best!

Nicole
  • rysprincess94
    rysprincess94 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I most definitely believe that the meds can cause weight gain. I have always been overweight. But since I have been on this roller coaster ride of fibro, its been even more difficult weight wise. With trying different meds, on and off I have gained almost 25 lbs. in the past few years. Up until I started this MFP program almost 2 weeks ago I weighed the same as when I delivered both of my kids. And I also agree that the depression part of this illness impacts the weight. Comfort eating, wanting to sleep the day away, etc. I would recommend talking to your doctor about using a med where weight gain is not a prominent side affect or just push yourself hard to get out of your comfort zone. Make sure you get up, shower and get dressed, everyday...make sure you are getting some form of exercise everyday...its all about establishing good habits and routines. Stick with it! I wish you the best!

Nicole
  • ethelhodg73
    Options
    There are many medications that are proven to cause weight gain, blood pressure meds and the fibro meds as well. I am on 2 that are known to cause the weight gain. I was on 3 but I did take myself off of one of them because they had me on 2 blood pressure meds and I didn't see the point in taking both of them. I have lost a little weight since but I'm not sure if it's because I stopped the medication or if it's the dieting.
  • FibroFit
    FibroFit Posts: 5
    Options
    Some medications will really make you gain a ton of weight. I was on Nerontin for a few years and BAMN I gained like 40lbs. Its brutal!

Good job for all of you trying hard and working on tracking your food. If you need a cheerleader, or just someone to talk to feel free to add me. I totally get it! I'm sorry that you all have to deal with fibro but I hope that it will get better with time and commitment
  • StripeyJenn
    Options
    I've been on Cymbalta for about 5 months now and while it certainly helps my fibro, it has made weight loss impossible.