stronglifts and what else?

Options
Are you doing any workouts in addition to stronglifts?

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I was but now I am saving all my muscle strength for lifting (I don't mind failing because a weight got too heavy but I would hate to fail because I was too tired from running the day before). I just do easy low impact cardio when I want to burn soem extra cals, I use the elliptical at low resistance or i use a stationary bike -- actually I could probably go back to jogging, for a while I found the strain on the muscles aroudn my knees was too much to keep up both but my knees don't bother me anymore (I also had to adjust my stance a little) so maybe i could.

Occasionally I'll jog a mile . Also I try to walk a lot and keep my NEAT up (I am the queen of NEAT because I am super lazy and hate exercising)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I probably do 20-30 minutes of low-moderate cardio on a machine 2-3 times a week. I might sneak in a Turbo Fire video 1-2 times a week, and since it's summer I'm hoping to get in at least one mountain bike ride a week. I don't do any extra lifting.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I started SL and C25K this week. I'm hoping I can keep up with both, even as a noob to lifting and a super noob to running. I think they key will be making sure I eat enough and get enough rest. So far, so good. I was super sore yesterday though and decided to take my rest day early, but it was worth it.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I probably do 20-30 minutes of low-moderate cardio on a machine 2-3 times a week. I might sneak in a Turbo Fire video 1-2 times a week, and since it's summer I'm hoping to get in at least one mountain bike ride a week. I don't do any extra lifting.

I'm pretty much the same. 20-30 minutes of low-moderate on the treadmill after lifting. I throw in Insanity 1-2 times a week on my non-lifting days. Sometimes I go rollerblading with my dogs as well.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I walk also, sometimes I walk right afterward, otherwise, if I'm pooped I just lift. But on my off days I walk on an incline at a decent pace...
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. Summer. It's a little ways away for Seattle, but when it comes, I will also be adding kayaking to the mix when I can. :happy:
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I also just started C25K and I may space those days out so I'm just doing two running days along with the 3 SL days. I'd have TWO rest days which might be weird. We'll see though. I was *really* sore this week which may have to do with me lowering my calories under maintenance this week, too.
  • Lena1967
    Lena1967 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I am planning to do 30-45 minutes of elliptical or other cardio (maybe Zumba dvd) on my off days. I really enjoy the mood boost I get from cardio, plus I'm still looking to lose some more weight so I want to burn calories.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    My plan right now is to continue doing CF WOD's 2-3x week, run 2-3x a week and do SL to help my strength. Maybe a little lofty -we'll see how it goes.
  • ktbia
    ktbia Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I just started stronglifts (Love it! day 3 today) and I am getting back to running 3 times a week. I just trained all winter and ran a half in March.

My husband and I are amping up to do our second half marathon this sept. So we are gonna have to figure out a way to get it all in. The running is very important, but we are loving stronglifts so far. So we will have to find a way to do it all this summer!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I am just doing Stronglifts until June. Wanted to see what others are doing. I want to add something in June to cut a little fat before some events.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I need to lose about 50 lbs, so on non-lift days, I'm alternating swimming and walking to get some cardio.

I was doing 20-30 mins on lift days, too, but as I increase the weight, I just don't think I can handle it.

Ishtar
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    On my non-lifting days I do cardio. My cardio stuff varies just because I like to change things up a lot to keep it entertaining.

Thing I enjoy are: Running (no more then 3 miles), Turbo Fire, Insanity or elliptical. On Saturday I usually do both a run plus a DVD.

I was previous doing HIIT workouts, but they can potentially hinder lifting recovery so I've stopped doing them.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm new to this board. I'm currently reading through the Stronglift stuff. I'm contemplating starting weights soon. I've been needing to do it for awhile. I even went once in March, but haven't been back since...lol! Part of it is that I've been focusing on my running. I really enjoy running and I've been doing a 5k training program. My 5k is in June. After my 5k I plan to train for a half marathon that's in September. So for me I will only use Stronglift twice a week. Once my half is over with I will likely flip my running and strength training so that I'm strength training more days and running less.

I want to strength train for the obvious benefits of health, weight loss, and metabolism. But also, it's a goal of mine to do an obstacle 5k and even a longer one at some point. Right now I have pretty much 0 upper body strength. I used to lift years and years ago and was so strong, so it's going to be a journey getting back to it and I think Stronglifts sounds like a great place to start.
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I do SL 3x a week and run 3x a week, have a 10 mile race in 2 weeks so maintaining my training from my half marathon I ran on April 1st