Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Meeting People?

tfbrave77
tfbrave77 Posts: 29 Member
Upon getting divorced It became apparent how few friends I actually had. Now I'm trying to make friends along with hoping to start up a new relationship. However, living in this small town it seems like there is so little to do and so little disposable income that it just makes it difficult to meet either. I have my kids 5 days a week so I also have limited time which I can go out. What are some ideas for getting out there and making friends and meeting people?

Replies

• mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    I have done activities on MeetUp.com some are free or with very little cost. Last event I did was play pool for 5 hours for $10.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Sometimes there are local clubs (for adults 20/30 or 40/50), I met a gentleman through POF who also has his son 5 days a week. We hang out whenever he has time. It is very hard to put yourself out there especially in a small town. I feel your pain. You could maybe also volunteer on weekends for something you enjoy or support?
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    I"m from a small town so it's really hard to meet people here too and all my friends are married--and they choose not to go out with friends on a social basis. Fortunately, my daughter is 22 so I don't have the younger kids at home to contend with...but nontheless, finding something to do on a Friday or Saturday night is close to impossible. I wish I was one of those people who could go to a bar by themselves--that's out of my comfort zone.
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    I"m from a small town so it's really hard to meet people here too and all my friends are married--and they choose not to go out with friends on a social basis. Fortunately, my daughter is 22 so I don't have the younger kids at home to contend with...but nontheless, finding something to do on a Friday or Saturday night is close to impossible. I wish I was one of those people who could go to a bar by themselves--that's out of my comfort zone.

I feel the same way....small town, married/involved friends and the single friends I have are younger.......which is okay to a point :) Even looking on meetup...it is all on the other side of the state...........
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,307 Member
    Not even in the small town but out in the middle of nowhere with the small towns 7-8 miles away from home.
    It does make it difficult,if I do a search on Match and restrict it to 10-15 miles I will get maybe 15 results.

Another reason I want to move over and above hating NY.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Keep your eyes open on MFP. I've heard some good stories!
  • tfbrave77
    Thank you all for your responses. Unfortunately there is not a decent club within 50 miles of here. That would not be a big deal if I had more free time but currently I have only Sundays and Mondays to myself. I live in South Georgia and we still have no sale laws on Sunday alcohol. I did look on meetup and it is the same as the club nothing going on closer to my area.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    for meetup you can also try starting your own group. something like a book club or anything food related would be nice.
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Lately Ive been going to a restaurant that has a a bar and sitting at the bar and I'd order food and a drink and usually people would talk to me since they know that Im not with anyone. But I wouldnt have the courage to eat by myself at a booth. Maybe try creating a group.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Do you have coworkers you are friendly with? If you ever end up talking about relationships, you could always ask them if they know any single females they'd like to set you up with?
  • tfbrave77
    Lately Ive been going to a restaurant that has a a bar and sitting at the bar and I'd order food and a drink and usually people would talk to me since they know that Im not with anyone. But I wouldnt have the courage to eat by myself at a booth. Maybe try creating a group.

I remember when I first started off I felt really awkward about going to restaurant by myself. Now I do it every now and then, usually where they have a bar. However, outside of the bartender I don't have too much luck with people talking to me. The only day I can do this is on Monday nights and outside of football season there is not too much usually going on at these places.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Do you have coworkers you are friendly with? If you ever end up talking about relationships, you could always ask them if they know any single females they'd like to set you up with?

That isn't as easy as it sounds if you work in a business enviroment. A lot of people don't like talking about their personal lifes even if you are friendly with them.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,252 Member
    Take a class....... Maybe martial arts or something along those lines. your in a room full of people who you will get to know rather rapidly.Then you can find out from them where to go hangout