LGBT fiction

Options
2»

Replies

• treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Val McDermid (or sometime VL Mcdermid) is a Scottish author who has written a vast number of murder mystery/thrillers. She is herself lesbian and one of her serial characters is a lesbian PI called Lindsay Gordon:

My city's library only had Kate Brannigan books, not Lindsay Gordon. I'm enjoying those even without a lesbian PI!

I did run across a sentence that I can't make heads or tails of, though. Two peoples separated by a common language. :wink:
    It's a myth about it always raining in Manchester--we only make it up to irritate all those patronizing *kitten* in the South with their hose-pipe bans.

I guessing a hose-pipe ban is a legal restriction on when you can water the garden during a drought. Am I close?
  • Smiler106
    Smiler106 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yes you cannot use a hose pipe at all, to water the garden, to use a sprinkler, to wash the car, nothing. I'm one of those patronising *kitten* from the South East (although I live in Wales now) and hose pipe bans have pretty much been the status quo (in the SE) for the last 10 -15 years or so. Actually the rainfall in the South East is sufficient, but so much housing has been built there in recent years... they have failed to provided enough reservoirs and infrastructure to support it.

BTW where did you get that quote from? Whoever wrote it was obviously a fraud.... no self respecting British person would ever spell patronising with a z. :-p
  • treetop57
    Options
    Thanks! It's from Crack Down: A Kate Brannigan Mystery, (c) 1994 by Val McDermid. The Kindle edition I'm reading was apparently published in 2006 by "Bloody Brits Press," an imprint of Bywater Books, Ann Arbor, Michigan.

I searched the text and found color, jail, realize, customize, and sympathize. They even Americanized the spelling of something as British as "Honors List"!
  • kskroch
    kskroch Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    It’s been a while since I’ve read any of these and these really date me…. Can’t say I’ve really looked for or found any good ones lately but I'd recommend all of them. Would be interested in anything new also.

Rita May Brown – Rubyfruit Jungle/Bingo and there were a couple others – hilarious Lesbian fiction haven't read them in probably 30 years but there are still some passages that come to mind that make me laugh from time to time.

Mary Renault wrote a number of books with gay characters/subjects – historical and historical fiction. Late teens and my twenties I read every one I could find. The one I liked the best was The Persian Boy.

I read Samuel Delany’s Dahlgren during my senior year in high school and that really helped make it clear for me that I really liked guys. Wore out a few pages of that one! He's written some other Gay SciFi also.

Farm Boys by Will Fellows - well, I'm a Wisconsin Farm Boy myself, so that works for me.
  • treetop57
    Options
    I loved The Persian Boy back in the day!
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Not all "lesbian" based, but some of my favorite Gay Books :)

Middlesex By Jeffrey Eugenides
    Tipping the Velvet By Sarah Waters
    Tommy's Tale: A novel By Allan Cummings
    Running with Scissors By Augusten Burroughs
    Disco Bloodbath (also published as "Party Monster") by James St. James
    and you must read Sanctuary by Paul Monette - it's about a female fox and a female rabbit who fall in love - it's adorable.

Running with Scissors is AWESOME. Middlesex is also brilliant.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Thanks! It's from Crack Down: A Kate Brannigan Mystery, (c) 1994 by Val McDermid. The Kindle edition I'm reading was apparently published in 2006 by "Bloody Brits Press," an imprint of Bywater Books, Ann Arbor, Michigan.

I searched the text and found color, jail, realize, customize, and sympathize. They even Americanized the spelling of something as British as "Honors List"!
    How could they do this to poor Val :sad:

I've never read any of Val's Kate Brannigan books. The hubster has, but he's not a big fan of those, preferring the Tony Hill/Carol Jordan and stand-alones as they seem to be more gruesome :laugh:
  • crocheted_ladybug
    crocheted_ladybug Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love to read! I have so many lesbian fiction books it's embarrasing. I love the classics, by Rita Mae Brown, Audre Lorde, Jane Austin :wink: But my favortie "gay" book is a series by Mercedes Lackey called "The Last Herald-Mage" It's just young adult, but it just makes me ache.