Riding and exhaustion

Options
sillygoose1977
sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
I need some suggestions from you guys. Every time I ride about 40 miles or more, I am struck with major exhaustion and can't function the rest of the day. I rode 46 miles yesterday (1800 feet elevation gain) and by the time I got home, it was all I could do to shower and stay awake. I had to force myself to stay awake until 9:30. I plan on riding about this amount or more all summer but I don't want the rest of my day ruined by my fatigue. I drink plenty and eat on my rides, and usually eat a good meal as soon as I'm done riding. Ant suggestions? Do I need to start using some sort of recovery drink when I'm done?

Replies

• fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Are you eating gels or bars along the way
  • sillygoose1977
    Options
    Are you eating gels or bars along the way

Both
  • fatboypup
    Options
    Hrmmm
  • sillygoose1977
    Options
    I usually drink a mix of water and gatorade and I use Nuun tablets too.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    As far as refueling goes, it's all about replenishing the bodys Glycogen stores. When you finish a long ride your glycogen stores are exhausted and you are very likely to have low blood glucose. Your body responds to the glycogen debt by going into overdrive to replace the missing glycogen. Excess glucose in the bloodstream is converted to glycogen and stored in the muscles and the liver. Under normal circumstances insulin is used in this conversion process. However, after an extended period of exercise when the muscle glycogen stores are exhausted an abbreviated and accelerated glycogen-storage process kicks into gear that converts glucose into glycogen and stores it in the muscles without the need for insulin. This period of intense glycogen production and storage lasts for 30 to 60 minutes - normally referred to as the "Glycogen Window" - to get your muscles refuelled for another days riding, this is where you need to be getting the good stuff down you! Problem is, it's really the first 30 minutes that are critical, food you eat in the second half hour could well still be lying in your stomach when the window shuts!

If you are going to fully replenish your glycogen stores for the next day’s ride, you must ingest enough carbs during those first 30 minutes to flood your system with glucose. If you don’t, it doesn’t matter what you eat for the rest of the day; you will be building on a weak foundation and you won’t have the glycogen reserves you need to ride with strength day after day. This cannot be stressed enough; you have to reload your system with carbs during the first 30 minutes after you get off the bike.

How many carbs do you need to eat during the critical 30 minutes? Current thinking holds that you should aim to ingest one half gram of carbohydrate for each pound of lean body weight during the 30 minutes after you get off the bike. There is also some evidence that combining these carbs with protein may facilitate the glycogen production and storage process. The recommended ratio of carbs to proteins is 4 to 1.

So - in my case - I weigh around 278lb, but according to caliper readings once a month, I'm carrying 25% body fat - so call it 210lb for ease of maths (278*0.75=208.5lb). This means to properly refuel I should be looking at 105g of carbs and 26g of protein... I don't do anything NEAR that, which is probably why after 3-4 days riding, my average speeds have tailed off badly, and I'm completely cream-crackered!!

(most of this is shamelessly nicked from a bunch of stuff given to me by the nutritionist at the hospital when I told them I wanted to ride the bike SERIOUSLY as part of my weight loss regime)
  • getoal
    getoal Posts: 8
    Options
    Just don't stop. Keep moving. Once I stop its hard to start again.
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Do you eat breakfast before you go out?
  • sheclimber
    sheclimber Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I find for me, assuming I've done all the great advice above, it's just a matter of my body accepting this new level of performance that I'm expecting. After a few at a new distance it's okay and instead struggling with whatever my new "long" ride is. Hopefully until I reach when I can sit on my *kitten* with a beer in my hand for the rest of the day and don't care about moving!
  • sillygoose1977
    Options
    I have been doing everything right (breakfast, calories, carbs and electrolytes during the ride, good meal directly after) so I think I am going to take the advice of a friend and try the Hammer Recoverite and see if it helps.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel the need to force yourself to stay awake? Maybe what will help is letting your body have that extra sleep its craving. That could help with your body's ability to recover stronger so you become stronger. Also, when do you ride, and what's the weather like? If you're biking in the heat of the mid day with lots of energy sapping humidity, well that says a lot right there.

Past that... Sleep!
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    The one bit I didn't address in my last lengthy message was the rest part. I pretty much walk in the house,grab a pre-made recovery shake from the 'fridge, remove my cycling kit, get a shower, and go lie on my bed - legs elevated above my head/heart - it's certainly not unusual for me to have a good 30 minute "nap" at this point... I've earned it, I've worked for it, and by god I'm gonna enjoy it!
  • fatboypup
    Options
    whens the last time you had a physical and blood work? ... I can do 40 miles after work with no food and about 32oz of water and not feel that tired after.