Hydration / Nutrition during long runs advice please

Options
Weathers58
Weathers58 Posts: 246 Member
Hi.

I'm training for a marathon and went out yesterday to run 14 miles. I really struggled for the last 3 because I didnt take any liquid or eat before I left.

Please could you guys give me some advice as to how to preapre before a long training run and what to eat before and during and what to drink please

Thanks Tim

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I recently discussed this with some friends and here's the advice I was give for during a run: water belt or camel pack and gel packs. It's not like you're going to stop and eat a sandwich in the middle of your run, so apparently the gel packs are great because they give you what you need during the run with little digestive effort.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Wow, no wonder you struggled, I'd pass out after an hour with no food and drink!

I have a high-carb meal the night before and porridge for breakfast (usually two portions of Oats So Simple made with milk sweetened with hone) with a cup of tea and a pint of water.

I take a Hilly bottle belt with a 500ml bottle and take energy gels (I like Science in Sport GO gels and High5 energy gel), enough for one every 45 minutes. They make a huge difference!

If you find you can't stomach any type of food on the go, try sports drinks, but personally I prefer to eat my food and drink water.

If I run out of water, I carry cash to buy a bottle en route to top up my bottle.

Watch your electrolytes - I use a High5 Zero electrolyte drink mix when I get home, and if it's warm, I either put one in my bottle or carry one with me to pop in a top-up.

Eat within an hour of getting in, something with carbs and protein - a reheated jacket spud with tuna or peanut butter on toast etc would be a good choice.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    *duplicate*
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Eating makes me want to throw up on a run. I like a protein shake with a bit of banana and some spinach added in the morning of. The night before, Carb load and drink all the water I can hold. During, I typically stick to water, with a honey stick or something for emergencies. I don't enjoy gels. Camel baks are fantastic!
  • Dragonfly1996
    Dragonfly1996 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I would largely ditto Berry H advice.

I also use SIS Go gels & take a zero tablet in 500ml of water with me along with a Nakd bar chopped up. Beforehand I have jumbo porridge oats with a spoonful of chopped almonds & a banana. Have just started sipping 250ml of water with maximuscle Viper Active about an hour before I go. This seems to keep my hunger at bay.

I carb load for two days before anything over 10mi. Then after I get home I have another 250ml viper active or a protein shake plus a good carb / protein snack.

It does seem to work as yesterday I didn't carb load as much plus didn't take enough fluid (or any money) so I ran out & got thirsty as it was hotter (& struggled) - not clever!!

Would try a few products out as it does seem to be trial & error!! Good luck with the marathon though :flowerforyou:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Here's a guide to nutrition and using gels on the run. Obviously it's by a manufacturer plugging their wares, but there's some sound advice in there:
    http://www.highfive.co.uk/pdf/marathon-guide.pdf

As Dragonfly says, there's a strong element of trial and error involved. If you're doing London or another Lucozade-sponsored race, for the love of God don't try their drinks and gels for the first time, they have one of the worst records for stomach upsets and are really sticky!

BTW in the only other Marathon I did I arranged for a friend to meet me on the course with pretzels and an ice-cold Coke. I really needed some real non-sweet food and a refreshing drink by then! Someone else I knew had a gin and tonic at mile 17 - each to their own!
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Awesome job for training for an endurance run. I am training as well, but for a 30 mile race. I ran 18.1 miles yesterday.

My limit for a fasted run is about 10 miles, I drink lots of water before and after. When I say fasted, I mean like eating Supper like normal, skipping breakfast and lunch the next day, and then just run. I do this allot for my 5-6 mile runs because I hate having much of anything solid in my gut while running.

Gatorade ties my stomach in knots like nothing else when used while running. So if I carry fluid, I opt for straight H2O.

I have been playing with various fuels for inter race to find a combo that works for me, I went to sports authority and bought a wide assortment of Gu gels and Gu chomps. I also have tried raw almonds and Gummy bears and boiled potatoes.

I got no recovery when eating the gummy bears or the nuts. And BEST recovery when using the Chomps. on each of my last 3 long runs I have toyed with spacing of gels/chomps to see which helps me peform the best, each run I spaced intake at 45 minutes, 1 hour, or 30 minutes. the 25-30 minute spacing works the best for ME, gotta try each for yourself. I boiled a small potato, chunked it up and dosed it heavily with salt and threw it in a ziploc bag to eat at the 2 hour mark yesterday, tasted great no cramps and I felt that my energy from it was about equal to a non caffinated gu-gel.

Make sure you start carrying water, I ran short yesterday and the last .5-1 miles my leg muscles started to spasm and it was all I could do to keep moving to get into my house.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Honestly the very short answer is that pre- and during-long run eating and drinking is totally different for everyone. I've never met another runner who has exactly the same outlook on it that I do.

I have, however, run 4 full marathons and am training for my 5th, so here's my advice....experiment. Find what works for you. Stick with it. Do not under any circumstances change what works for you ESPECIALLY on race day.

I sort of echo nicksolomon, though....10 miles is about my limit on an empty stomach. I also don't care for Gatorade and generally opt for just water.

I can't eat during a run, though....just does bad stuff for my tummy. I have a pretty set pre-long-run or pre-race breakfast of 2 slices of wheat bread with peanut butter and a banana. Sometimes with chia seeds and I'll drink a glass of milk if I'm at home....just water on race day.

I ran 15 miles yesterday and took with me a 10oz bottle of water and didn't finish it. I had drank over 1/2 gallon of water in the morning before my run (didn't run 'till afternoon) and I drank a lot when I was done, too. Last time I ran a 1/2 marathon I didn't drink anything the entire race. Of course if it was super hot/humid I'd have to modify that a bit.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    As already stated this is a very individulaized process. I have found I do well not eating at all the morning of a long run. Drinking is heavily dependant on tempurature.
    This weekend I went 18. I had a gatorade pre-run packet about 10-15 mins before starting, then a gel at miles 8 & 13. That was it, besides water.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    If I'm running 14 or more, I'll eat something like a cliff bar or bagel beforehand, but just carry water during the run. Anything less and it'll probably be just a protein shake or fasted. I won't eat during the run unless its 18 or more, mainly because my training volume is less than optimal, and I don't think its a good thing to always have your glycogen stores topped off in training because you might not be so lucky towards the end of your race. But I'll have maybe 2 gels during a 18/20-miler just to make sure I don't have problems digesting them.
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Bump for later... as I'll begin training for my first 1/2 marathon soon.... this is all good info!
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I boiled a small potato, chunked it up and dosed it heavily with salt and threw it in a ziploc bag to eat at the 2 hour mark yesterday, tasted great no cramps and I felt that my energy from it was about equal to a non caffinated gu-gel.

I'm running 21 miles this weekend and I'm going to try your boiled potato idea. I really cannot stomach GUs, gels, gummy candy or anything else I've tried. But I'm at the point with running long distances where water is just not cutting it and I'm so hungry by the time I'm finished. I thought about taking a banana along but I figured it would get all smooshed and gooey. Blech.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I personally do not like the waist belts so I have a fuel belt hand held that I will use when running in more remote areas or on hotter days.

As for food, I can do a 10 miler on a empty stomach but don't like to. On the weekends, I will always eat before my run but I do allot for about 90 mins for it to settle. My go to food is toaster waffles and morningstar sausages.

During a run, I have some issues eating as well. I don't stomach gus very well. gummy bears work better but are harder to carry. I am currently training with some options to see what I can deal with. My biggest issues in my marathons have been fuel issues. I will do up to 18 miles no prob with no additional food during.

Boiled potatoes rock. :) roll in salt too for extra yummies
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I've done one half and have another next weekend. I don't use anything special on runs up to 8-9 miles but do have a bowl of mini-wheats in milk about an hour before (my standard breakfast). On my longest runs, I do carb up a bit the day before and drink plenty of water, but none in the morning. I carry a Nathan belt with four bottles (each are 7 oz, so pretty small) and one or two packs of Sport beans (jelly beans). I sip when I need to, usually it's all water but if it's really hot I do two Gatorade and two water, and eat a pack of beans around mile 6 and if I need to again around mile 10. This is what I've tried so far and has worked for me but I want to try the Clif shot blocks that I've heard about, I may even pick them up today to try tomorrow.

I will say, at my race last fall, the tables every couple miles had water and Gu drinks and I took both at each table and did really well. I have a notoriously strong stomach, so I don't know if that's why or if I just was lucky. I had brought my beans with me, but didn't feel like getting them out!!
  • johnlatv
    johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    i normally have toast or something light for my meal. I carry my fuel belt, and i carry a product call Infinit and it is awesome, it's everything you want in a gel/sports drink. It has all the calories, electrolyte, protein you need bet of all you can customize this based on your taste, you want it more sweet you can do that, less sweet you can do that, are you a heavy sweater and need to replace more electrolytes you can do that, and the customer service is GREAT. Comes in a power so you can make it into a thick gel and put it into a small plastic bottle and hit it every 30-40mins. That's what i do and it has worked
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I'm not experienced (running my first 1/2 at the end of this month), but I have been using a little homemade snack during my long runs, and find that it works for me (and is easy to store, transport, and eat/digest when running).

They're called "Honey Milk Balls" -- sounds gross, but it's just a combination of peanut butter, honey, nonfat dry milk and oats. They're rolled into little balls, and are not sticky to the touch, so when you store them in your pack, they don't get gooey. They're also chewy and easy to eat on the run. I usually take 3 or 4 of them with me on a 12 mile run, and eat them after mile 5 or so. Keeps me going.

If you want the recipe, let me know.

As for hydration, I don't think I've found my magic formula yet, either. I'm still experimenting. I do know (so far) that I HATE carrying a water bottle. Then again, I have a crappy waist pack that's clunky, too. Good luck!
  • Reikofs
    Reikofs Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have ran over 17 half marathons over the past 5 years as well as 9 marathons, 3 half ironmans and a full ironman last year. In doing these endurance events, nutrition is key, especially the longer you go. I agree that you have to find out what works for you because everyone is different. I have a sensitive stomach and can only drink water and have gels during my runs. It is also dependent on the weather, the warmer it is, the more fluid and electrolytes you need to take in. Carb loading is an interesting topic. The week leading into the marathon you should actually eat more protein and less carbs but by mid week this should be switched. The most important carb meal is 2 nights before a marathon. Two days before my races, I eat a lot of carbs for all of my meals and eat larger than normal portions(if I'm running a half marathon, I don't eat larger portions...don't need to). The reason is to top off my glycogen stores in my muscles. The day before I eat regular portions but also still eating carbs. I make sure not to overeat. If it is going to be hot out, I also take in a lot of fluids with electrolytes (gatorade, pedialyte, etc). The morning of the race, I usually eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich at least 2 hrs beforehand then maybe a banana at least an hour before. I also take in a bottle of water starting 2hrs before and done 30min before the race. I drink some water at every water stop even if it a small sip, I also take in a hammer gel or power gel pack every 45 min. Find what works for you. Some people take in the electrolyte drinks on the course. Make sure u do this during training so u know your stomach can handle it. Do not take in gels and electrolyte drinks together, u will probably get sick. If it is really hot out, I do alternate water with electrolyte drinks to prevent cramping in my calves.
    During your training, I would make sure to bring water with u if it's hot out or if going on a run longer than 10 miles. If u don't like carrying water with, you can always leave water beforehand on your route if it's possible to do where there isn't a lot of people around to tamper with your stuff. I carry my water in a fuel belt if I need to and put my gels in there too. Remember to train how you are going to race. It also makes a difference if you are running for fun and just to finish or if you are racing for a specific time. Also, as others have said, make sure you are replenishing your glycogen stores with a ratio of 4:1 carbs to protein (chocolate milk works great!) Good luck and happy running!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    You know, I HATE carrying things with me. Absolutely hate it, because I feel like I'm a pack animal or something. Drives me bonkers.

Anyawy, what I've done for runs over 10 miles, is I plan out my route beforehand, and then go ahead of time and strategically hide water bottles along my route. I usually like to do trails along the river here, so I'll drive down and stick bottles in the trees every few miles, along with gel packs, and then head back and get them later. Which can be annoying, because I have to go back and get them, but it saves me the trouble of trying to cart them along with me, so for me, I'm happier doing it that way.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I don't bother taking anything with me on runs less than8 miles or so. 8-12 miles I carry a water bottle (which I hate, but it's better than wearing the water belt). For the long runs( 12 miles and more) I wear my camelback. It's not comfortable for me, but it's the best option I have. And I only drink water. I tried the sports drinks but find them far too sickly sweet.
    During races I wear my water belt but use it to carry my gels in. I use leppin gels. I take them after about 90 mins in approx every 45 mins to an hr.
    For the 3 days prior to a race I start taking immodium. I also watch what I eat- nothing spicy, nothing new, and generally pretty plain. I eat carbs like white rice, pasta, and stuff like that. I also drink as much water as my body can hold! Then race day I usually have a peanut butter and banana butty 2hrs before the run, and a glass of water.
    But it's taken me a year to figure out what works best for me. We're all different. All you can do is give things a go and see what suits you best. Good luck.
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    I personally have tried camel backs and water belts... I didn't like the camel back because it caused me to overheat and I did not like the water belt because I was constantly aware of it and it moved around a lot. This is just my personal opinion... If you run for more than an hour you should plan on having water with you at least... and some sort of nutrition in case you bonk.

With that being said, I have settled on something like this... http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-402352/pgid-402352&cp=USNS_KW_0611081618

The strap helps me to hold on it without thinking about it and the pocket is good for keys/cash/nutrition. If I am doing a long run often I will plot the run to loop back by my house. I will have another water waiting for me by the mail box. I dump the empty and pick up a new one and continue on. Another thing I have done to refill my water is plan on running past a gas station or 7-11 store. They have water fountains... And bathrooms! I will just veer off and refill my water. It only takes a few minutes... I am not that hard core so if I stop for 5 min it doesn't bother me.

As for nutrition... I will carry Jelly Belly sport beans, Cliff Shot Blocks, or honey packets with me as well for a long run... If I run for more than an hour I need to have something to re-fuel. I find the individual honey packets to be particularly good because they taste better than gu's and have quick sugar and long lasting carbs in just 1 tablespoon. You can walk into any KFC and steal a handful or two... I have done this many times.