Chantix

Options
Has anyone used Chantix to stop?

Replies

• Not anyone successful. My personal point of view is that in order to quit, you have to want it more than anything in the world. At that point, you can go cold turkey which in my humble opinion is the ONLY way to quit. But everyone has they're own way. Just like weight loss, some people have to go for the surgery but I feel weight loss is about dedication. Any ways, good luck my friend you can do this.
  • boylec
    boylec Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I did it back in October 2010. It was my second time but I can say I am still smoke free. My weight went up but my Doc said that was better then smoking. Good luck in your venture. Good luck to all that have quit and using my fitness pal.:smile:
  • dinovino_59
    dinovino_59 Posts: 1,700
    Options
    Thank you both...I have not smoked in a week and I know I have a long way to go.
  • mon696
    mon696 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I used Welbutrin but whatever it takes to quit is what it takes. Remember, you will never have to quit again if you never start smoking again. That has kept me from picking up another cigarette for the past few years. I quit in 2007.
  • dinovino_59
    Options
    That's great...thanks for the post!
  • goofyrick24
    goofyrick24 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm on Chantix Right now.. This is my 2nd time on Chantix in 5 years.. I will say that I failed last time because I didn't continue the pills for all three months.... and because I didn't change my habits (hanging out with smokers..)

8 days, 4 hours, 8 minutes and 57 seconds smoke free.

180 cigarettes not smoked.
    $26.40 and 1 day, 9 hours of your life saved.

No real problems except wanting to sleep all day to continue the dreams and the stomach gas pain after I take the meds..
  • Maverick0216
    Options
    Hi, so glad to be here with all of you! I am 9 weeks since I stopped smoking! Feels great! I smoked for 25 years. Both of my parents smoke(d).

My father passed away last year of lung cancer/metz to the brain. He suffered. My mother, still smokes.

Sharing his story here because he tried Chantix, Patches, Gum, and will power...but couldn't kick the addiciton.

8 years ago they found the dime size tumor in his right lung. They told him that the location of the tumor, they would not be able to get it out...now I am not surgeon, but this still doesn't sit right with me, but anywho...I will continue. The docs told him to take Chantix to stop smoking, gave him the patch, and the gum too.

Watching him go through all of that, still did not prompt me to stop smoking.

Nothing worked, and he continued to smoke. Literally to death...as he progressively worsened over the years, the COPD cut off his will to survive and the tumor eventually sent metz to other parts.

September of 2010 the docs said that he had a stroke, but that was a misdiagnosis, it was brain tumors. Lots of them.

This STILL did not prompt me to stop smoking.

He got a little better, but that was just a short period. He was dying and we all knew it. But we smoked in spite of knowing and we "let" him smoke too. Thinking back, we let him because it was what he wanted, and we didn't want to deprive a dying man his last wish.

He was a smoker to his dying breath as he "fake" smoked an invisible to us cigarette, as he would exhale, he would grin.

So, it was January 3, 2011 and I knew he was going to die that day, because that was the first day in 25 years that I woke up and did not want a cigarette. I went to work, did not smoke on the way in, did not take my normal smoke breaks...didn't smoke after lunch. I knew it in the pit of my stomach, that I was going to say good bye to my dad that night.

I arrived at the Hospice House at 5:15 pm. Held his hand, gave him a kiss on his forehead. And watched him leave for heaven at 5:30 pm.

I had not had a smoke in 18 hours. 2 hours passed and I finally sat down to cry. I cried hard too. I smoked one right after another for the next three, maybe four hours. I woke up crying, and smoked like I had to.

We planned the funeral. I smoked.

Soon, after all the stuff gets back to normal, it was as if I lived in that cloud of smoke, until February 5, 2012. I drowned two packs of cigarettes put on a patch and said, "today is the day I stop smoking". It was Super Bowl Sunday. I missed my dad a lot that day, and thought of him a lot too. As I was filling the kitchen sink up for the ceremony, I kept thinking of him and his battle to stop smoking. He couldn't beat that addiction no matter how hard he tried. I drowned them, each and every one of them.

So, my legacy will include the day I reclaimed my life on my terms. February 5, 2012.

Now, nine weeks in since I stopped smoking, I stopped thinking about it too. I stopped beating myself up for over the wasted 25 years worth of money, poor health, and obesity. I stopped blaming myself for my three sons that smoke now, and now when I even think I am going to have a craving for a cigarette...I remember how it feels to wake up.

My goal is to be a stopped smoker. I am a stopped smoker. When you say you stop something, it is empowering because it is a choice in your head to start or stop something.

My fitness and weight loss goal is to stop shoving feelings down with food and experience the blessing of life through a different lens.

I hope this helps someone.
    Kim (Maverick0216)
  • dinovino_59
    Options
    Touching and inspiring....Thank you!
  • aesimonton
    Options
    I'm using Chantix currently and it's awesome so far. I'm one month in and haven't smoked in 2 weeks. The thing that made me try Chantix was the success stories I've witnessed. 2 different people in my office (smokers for 13 and 20 years) used Chantix successfully and have been non-smokers now for over 1 and 2 year.

The instructions say to continue smoking like normal for the first 2 weeks (I think). But I had been advised not to follow the instructions and just keep smoking (past the instructed 2 weeks!) until you physically do not want to smoke anymore. The pill will make you want to quit. It did for me anyways.

So far I haven't noticed any real side effects -- and honestly I'm a little bummed out that I haven't had some awesome/trippy dreams!
  • dinovino_59
    Options
    Aesim, I did the same thing as you, I smoked for almost one month after I first started to take it. I was not taking the full dose am/pm just one per day and I felt that I was going to lose it, so I started taking both doses and even though it upsets my stomach, I stuck with it and have not smoked at all in more than a week.

Stay strong!
  • motherbetty
    motherbetty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey in October 2009 after a lengthy illness (not smoking related but I took advantage of not having the strength to go outside to light up a smoke). I miss it every. single. day. I have gained about 10 - 12 pounds. I sometimes wonder if smoking would help curb my appetite again, but I am not willing to give up my non smoking status just yet. I'm trying other ways first.

Good luck to all of you.
  • Maverick0216
    Options
    oh motherbetty, please don't start smoking in hopes of curbing pounds...it is not an answer!

I was a fat smoker. Sugar tasted better with a cigarette chaser.

Don't give up or give in!
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    i used zyban about 5 years ago to help quit smoking....ive also used the inhalers, patches, gums, pretty much andy NRT u can imagine without success. the zyban gave me some majorly trippy dreams and i only lasted 4 weeks before i lit up again (new years eve). the problem i found with it was that its an anti anxiety medication and i am not someone who suffers from anxiety, im also very sensitive to medication.....so i was really like the walking dead for that month. i hated the feeling (or lack of feeling, that is) that it gave me. BUT that was the longest ive ever held out, untill this time around!!! this most recent time around i wend COLD TURKEY and have been smoke free since Marcch first!!! 40 DAYS so far!
  • dinovino_59
    Options
    Good for you...keep it going!
  • boylec
    boylec Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That is great!
  • Cathy7794
    Cathy7794 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    If you can stick it out, and the side effects aren't bothering you, Chanitx can be a miracle drug! I started taking it in February; smoked for the first week and then just quit. February 21st was the last day I smoke a cigarette, and I have had no desire for one since! I was a pack a day for, 22 years, smoker. I bet I tried to quit at least 50 times...well it felt like 50. lol Nothing ever worked. I still was constantly thinking about how much I'd love to smoke a cigarette. Not this time. I don't want one at all...can't stand the smell of them and can't stand to walk pass someone in the store who smokes. I can't believe I stunk like that for the past 22 years!!

Good luck to everyone who's trying to quit and congratulations to those who have been successful. :)
  • MotherBetty for God's sake don't pick up that habbit again just to curb an appitite.
    It's been over 10 years since I went cold turkey and I can't say I don't still think about having one every now and again but I know the health bennifits outweigh any pleasure I'd get. Stay strong ya'll.
  • goofyrick24
    goofyrick24 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Ok I've been on chantix for like 3 weeks now and haven't smoked Since April 1, 2012. The dreams are pretty cool, but I have woken up the past two days with muscle pains (cramping type) and was wondering if anyone else has experienced these?
  • dinovino_59
    Options
    Yes, I have been getting a lot of muscle cramps...calves and feet!