Hydration / Nutrition during long runs advice please

Options
2»

Replies

• millionsofpeaches
    Options
    Eating makes me want to throw up on a run. I like a protein shake with a bit of banana and some spinach added in the morning of. The night before, Carb load and drink all the water I can hold. During, I typically stick to water, with a honey stick or something for emergencies. I don't enjoy gels. Camel baks are fantastic!

Honestly, carb loading the night before is not necessary for a 15 miler... Just eat healthy and make sure you eat some carbs about an hour before your planned run. For example: whole wheat toast w/ peanut butter, half of a turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread w/ some avocado, some almonds with a glass of milk, or a bowl of oatmeal topped with dried fruit and nuts. I am a huge fan of the whole wheat toast w/ peanut butter.
  • Reikofs
    Reikofs Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    For those of you that don't like bulky belts, etc. I use a spibelt. U hardly know it's there. It shrinks as u take your nutrition out of it.
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    Also... Nuun is an electrolyte tablet that you can add to your water. It will hydrate you and keep your from cramping... You can get them at REI, online, or at may cycling shops.

Sorry for all of my responses... Nutrition is important. I have been an avid runner for 5 years and have completed multiple half marathons, full marathons, and triathlons.

GOOD LUCK!
  • renkath
    renkath Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Also... Nuun is an electrolyte tablet that you can add to your water. It will hydrate you and keep your from cramping... You can get them at REI, online, or at may cycling shops.

Love nuun. No worries to calculate carbs - just water and electrolytes...
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    GU packs makle me want to puke. I haven't tried anything else artificial.

My best results come with eating a mainly Carb packed dinner the night before. Coffee for breakfast the day of, 1/4-1/2 a peanut butter Cliff Bar while Im gearing up and the remainder of the bar around my half way point. This is for my 7-11 milers. When I run further in the next couple weeks I plan on trying some Orange juice around mile 10-12. That stuff gives me quite a spike for a few miles.

I have heard of many different things to try but haven't found the need yet. My next experiment will be slightly cooked potato chunks with lots of salt. I hear they help keep you hydrated and give you energy.

Happy Runnings!

exercise.png
  • nermal6873
    nermal6873 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Bump for additional info. I'm going to start training for a half soon and I know hydration/nutrition will be especially important over the Florida summer.
  • ezramedic
    ezramedic Posts: 119
    Options
    Bump for reading later :-)