Heads up - nutritional informaton for takeaways/restaurants

Options
I work in envronmental health, so just a heads up for you all...the law is changing next year in that all food outlets (including restaurants, cafes and takeaways) must make nutritional information available for their dishes/meals

Going to be a mammoth task for most of them, but should make it easier for you peeps

Plus, we are currently working with Indian takeaways and fish and chip shops to reduce fat, salt and sugar in their dishes. Indians are slowly replacing ghee as it's too expensive to buy now due to the recession, so saturated fat has gone down already! Every cloud! x

Replies

• theonly1iknow
    theonly1iknow Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    That's great to know, thanks :-)
  • lizzue
    lizzue Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Darn it... Now I feel depressed. lol:-)
  • Babieseverywhere
    Babieseverywhere Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up.

Should make eating out less of a nightmare. I like to look up menus and try and make choices before I go out to eat, but having the calories will help :)
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it'll come as a shock to most people exactly how many calories are in their curry, it's definitely a good thing and will hopefully make eating out a much healthier experience.

The changes are definitely a good thing, I only hope the information isn't hidden away behind a plant pot and shown in full view on the menus.
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up!

I noticed when I stayed at a Permier Inn the other day, it had the calories listed next to all the meals it sold in their restaurant. Very good idea I say and great news about takeaways too (I think?!)!

:smile:
  • Jaqfrog
    Jaqfrog Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When it happens, it will be just a guide, to be honest, as it's quite difficult to regulate exactly what goes into a meal. Fine for Wetherspoons who just microwave most of their meals and can afford to get each item on the menu calorie-tested, but not as easy for small restaurants.

Well, I know what I'm like in the kitchen - a dash of this, a dollop of that ... I find measuring out every single ingredient to create a recipe here on MFP a real pain!