Nerd/Geek?

Options
kapeluza
kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
As a gamer, do you consider yourself a geek? A nerd? A socially inept person?

Replies

• BrendarB
    BrendarB Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    I consider myself nerd, but that's only part of the story right? - just one aspect of your personality doesn't dictate who you are as much as what you do to make yourself awesome.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I'm a geek who happens to enjoy gaming.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Sadly... Yes lol.

I'm not ashamed off it. I love collecting and playing new and retro games. I have also started collecting retro consoles.
    I enjoy watching anime and read manga every so often.
    I'm studying C++, DirectX and Algebra which I am enjoying.

I plan on getting it reading old literature, I will starting off with books published by J.R.R Tolkien. I have also considered started reading some old Greek, Arabian, Japanese and Chinese literature and tales.

I've also considered getting into amateur astronomy.

To me, that sounds pretty nerdy lol
  • BreakingOath
    BreakingOath Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'm considered a nerdy and a fitness fanatic by other people which I think is completely wrong, but I don't deny it or correct people. Yes, I love video game, magic the gathering, dragons, and anything fantasy. Yes, I love to exercise, eat healthy, and strive to be an overall athlete. Why do I have to be put into those categories? lol

I just do what I like and don't care what people categorize me as. :)
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    idk, either a geeky nerd or a nerdly geek, im not sure which...
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I've always considered nerdy to be more heavily into academic pursuits, especially the sciences and history. And geeky to be more into science fiction, animation, and more offbeat pop culture like pursuits. And games can fall onto either side or neither depending on the subject matter

By those standards I am a huge nerd, but hate almost everything geeky. My small delving into geek culture is limited to pathfinder and a handful off rpg computer games.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Most definitely a nerd. And my social skills are not up to par. :/
  • melneh
    melneh Posts: 25
    Options
    Sadly... Yes lol.

I'm not ashamed off it. I love collecting and playing new and retro games. I have also started collecting retro consoles.
    I enjoy watching anime and read manga every so often.
    I'm studying C++, DirectX and Algebra which I am enjoying.

I plan on getting it reading old literature, I will starting off with books published by J.R.R Tolkien. I have also considered started reading some old Greek, Arabian, Japanese and Chinese literature and tales.

I've also considered getting into amateur astronomy.

To me, that sounds pretty nerdy lol

LOL now this is hilarious! I have never really considered myself a nerd or a geek - but all of the above (excluding the C++, ect) are exactly what I do with most of my free time!
    BTW as for the amateur Astronomy, I highly highly recommend it! It is probably one of my deespest passions I have developed :)
    hmmm that did sound a little nerdy didn't it?
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I consider myself a nerd, but that is not in direct relation to the fact I like gaming. Gaming is common for Asian girls of my generation.
  • librarygoddess2
    librarygoddess2 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm a geeky nerd.
  • annrum
    annrum Posts: 144
    Options
    I'm definitely a geek &/or a nerd. :smile: I love games, computers, science-fiction/fantasy/books in general. Someone else mentioned astronomy - I was thrilled with the Venus/Jupiter visibility in the last few weeks, it was so much fun watching Jupiter move - I'm not a proper astronomy geek but my Dad taught me to recognise various constellations & if I lived in a less light polluted area I'd probably spend evenings just staring into the sky.

I think the perception of gamers as basement loners is gradually fading as gaming becomes more mainstream, there's no longer such a stigma as there used to be, but, in alll honesty, I don't really care. My enjoyment of my hobbies & work (sometimes, when it's not stressy!) are part of what makes me who I am. If that doesn't fit with someone else's perceptions of who I should be, that's their problem, not mine. I'm (mostly) happy with who I am & the bits I'm not happy with are in no way related to gaming or nerdiness :smile:
  • shady81x
    shady81x Posts: 290
    Options
    Neither. I'm a gamer. That's all :flowerforyou:
  • Iheartpsychosis
    Options
    Neither. I'm a gamer. That's all :flowerforyou:

Exactly. I don't agree that playing games automatically throws you into the geek/nerd corner. I'm a straight gamer. However, I do have social problems lmao. But I would say I'm more of a freak than a geek or nerd. I always thought the difference was, geeks were just an underpaid, less intelligent sub class of nerds lol.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I'm a geek and a nerd, but not because I game. I work in IT and love, love computers (geek). In school, I was the quiet book smart kid (nerd). I even collect comics.

I feel socially awkward at times, but that's more from my childhood. I moved a lot, so was always the "new kid" in school, plus my sibling is disabled, so we stuck out like sore thumbs at school.

I do have an active social life as an adult and play a lot of sports. I hang out with jocks, now. :laugh:
  • adamtall
    adamtall Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Most definitely a nerd. And my social skills are not up to par. :/

wow are we the same person? lol
  • mandi2r
    mandi2r Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I am...I'm just odd....
  • KingRoaVa
    KingRoaVa Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I consider myself 65% nerd and 35% geek. But really geeky and nerdy go hand in hand with each other.

Nerdy stuff I have done or currently doing.

Really big into PC gaming. For example take a look at my steam account worth. http://www.steamcalculator.com/id/nexious316
    Owned every major console/handheld. Everything from Atari 2600 to the PS3. Even some lesser known ones like the Sega Nomad.
    Anime - everything from Ranma 1/2 to Bleach. I even been to some conventions(Otakon, Katsucon, and Nekocon). Shhh, I even have cosplayed. I haven't been to a con in several years due to "a 35 year old male looks strange going to an anime convention" type of attitude.
    Tv/Movies: Really like good scifi, fantasy, animation and comedies. I also I have been known to watch subtitled foreign films (Pan's Labybrinth, The Troll hunter)
    Pen and Paper - Dungeon and Dragons, Whitewolf's Mage. and such.
    I did some Larping in the past(younger years) but didn't care to much about it. To much work and I hate acting. White wolf's Vampire.
    Books - Just got done reading "Ready Player One". Fantasy and Scifi is mostly what I read. If I am at the gym on the elliptical machine or cycles, I am usually reading. :-)

Geeky stuff.

I am a computer tech at a financial institution, Unix Administrator. Citrix guru. :-)
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Maybe late 90's / early 2000's Yes.

Now of days, No since gaming has gone way too mainstream.
  • scunningham2012
    scunningham2012 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm a band geek but I have my nerdy tendencies and I'm proud :D
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I'm a geek AND nerd. I'm C+ certified, had a 3.25 GPA in college, love dealing with audio/video equipment, huge Star Trek fan, and I USE to dabble in hacking electronics and in D&D. Marriage and my kids now don't give me time for hacking, nor D&D. And yes, just cuz you're a gamer doesn't mean you're a geek or nerd. But that's only cuz your friends are the same and see you in the same light as them. Let's see you spit dragon knowledge from the Forgotten Realms to someone who isn't into it, and see what they think of you. LOL!!!

PS- No social problems here. I'm more of an extrovert. My wife is the introvert who see's me as her geek/nerd.