Quit using Allen Carr Book & Oil Pulling

Options
As the man says in the book, if you are torturing yourself using will power to stay off the Cigs/Nicotine, then you are reinforcing your belief that you are denying yourself something you enjoy and you will eventually return to old Nic.

Replies

• I'm not sure what you're trying to say but this group is all about support and encouragement for those of us who have quit smoking and are now struggling to lose weight. We are well aware that nicotine is a very addictive drug and the cravings for it never go away, I still have them after 10 years but we are strong and will defeat those cravings. Same thing goes for losing weight, the cravings suck but we'll overcome them too!
  • stage5
    stage5 Posts: 12
    Options
    I wrote something that you clearly understood and as you clearly explained, you are still living and dealing with your craves after 10 years, know this, I find that sad and in my humble opinion and in the interest of support and encouragement, I would encourage you to seek professional help with your unresolved Nicotine addiction, as you are looking at it from the very angle that Allen Carr describes and given your final statement,"Same thing goes for losing weight, the cravings suck but we'll overcome them too!" mention this too, it speaks volumes.
    PS. I find the Oil pulling either suppresses my appetite in the morning or adds some extra factor to my breakfast, resulting in the feeling of not needing any more food right up to 10 oclock, when I usually have my tea break.:flowerforyou:
  • motherbetty
    motherbetty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I think you are the one in need of professional help, Goldbeater. Just sayin'.
  • Some people lash out in anger because they had to quit for whatever reason but thats ok. As for you goldbeater I simply mentioned about the cravings to help others who might be going through the same and if you were really interrsted in support, you would have congratulated me on being smoke free for the last 10 years. I haven't picked up a cigarette since I laid them down and thats all that matters to me.
  • stage5
    Options
    The below quote is your reply to a question by some one who merely asked if any one had used Chantix
    Not anyone successful. My personal point of view is that in order to quit, you have to want it more than anything in the world. At that point, you can go cold turkey which in my humble opinion is the ONLY way to quit. But everyone has they're own way. Just like weight loss, some people have to go for the surgery but I feel weight loss is about dedication. Any ways, good luck my friend you can do this.
    You say, no one has successfully quit using Chantix, seriously get help.
  • Come on dude, the question was do you know anyone, I said no. Meaning noone I know. Lets put this to rest.
  • stage5
    Options
    Glad you said it, this is going no where any way.
    Now back to what to eat or not to eat having given up the Cigs in order to stay healthy and loose weight (203ibs/beer belly for me).
    A part from Oil Pulling and taking raw ginger and raw garlic grated into a juice drink as a detox for my Lungs, I have'nt a clue.
    As far as exercise, I started long walks and am now going swimming (so I don't bust my joints)
    All advice greatly appreciated.
  • I'm not familiar with oil pulling so I can't comment on that. Just make sure you intake of calories is less than your burned calories. It's kind of a simple concept but it really works. If you're not already, track everything you put in your body and that will give you a good idea if your diet is on track. remember diet and exercise are the key to weight loss. Good luck
  • stage5
    Options
    Cheers LH,
    I am filling in my Food & Exercise diary and have identified the 2 or 3 pints of Guinness I am having every night, as the 1st to go in order to hit or be below my target intake of calories.
  • Gotta start somewhere.
  • stage5
    Options
    Talking about starting some where, I got the below Article from the BBC News website. Believe Oil Pulling may be the answer to combating the Mouth Ulcers Ex Smokers get in the first weeks of their quit.

Ex-smokers face ulcers and colds

The side effects are little known

Smokers should be warned they face higher risks of developing mouth ulcers and colds when they quit, warn experts.
    Doctors found smokers developed the unpleasant side effects up to two weeks after quitting.

And they say many ex-smokers could be deterred from staying the course unless they are told what to expect.

The study, published in the British Medical Journal's Tobacco Control, studied 174 smokers at one, two and six weeks.

Symptoms

After one or two weeks' abstinence the quitters were more likely to have cold symptoms, including sore throats, coughing and sneezing.

During the first week of stopping around a third of those studied had three or more symptoms.

It is an unexpected side effect of giving up smoking

Amanda Sandford
    of ASH

They found mouth ulcers were significantly more likely during the first fortnight. After six weeks all the symptoms had subsided.

The authors say the increase in mouth ulcers could be related to the loss of the antibacterial effect of smoking and the rise in cold symptoms could be linked to a short-term depression in the immune system.

Positive move

The scientists, from the Department of Psychology, at St George's Hospital Medical School, said they did not fully understand the impact of the symptoms on the relapse rates, but said they might be linked to people taking up smoking again.

Dr Michael Ussher, said: "This study is the first to provide clear evidence for an increase in reports of cold systems and mouth ulcers following smoking cessation.

"Being psychologically prepared for these effects may reduce their impact on the attempt to stop smoking."

Amanda Sandford, research manager for ASH, Action Smoking Health, said people should not be discouraged by the temporary side effects.

"It is an unexpected side effect of giving up smoking.

"It is important that people are warned about it.

"You just need to give smokers a reassurance that it is a positive thing to give up smoking."

But she said that anyone whose symptoms lasted for a long time should contact their GP.
  • Interesting article, thanks for sharing.