Good camp site recommendations?! :)

Options
Doreen_Murray
Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
Hi all,

Last year I took my son camping for the first time in Linville Falls and we had such a great time! I'd love to take him again before the summer heat hits. Any recommendations? Would love to hear from some locals! Cheers, Doreen

Replies

• scubagoil
    scubagoil Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if the Outer Banks would interest you, but we have stayed at the Frisco Woods campground so many times...

It is on the sound side and has a lot of wooded sites which is very nice in the heat of the summer! We liked it because we could bring our kayaks and just head out right from the campground. Also, when the kids were younger, it was nice because the sound was shallow for a long distance and very calm.

We would head to the beach on the ocean side for a few hours each day. We would also do some site seeing (Kitty Hawk for example) and take the ferry to go shopping on Ocracoke Island.

Frisco Woods has bathrooms, hot and cold running water and shower facilities. There are a couple of cabins that can be rented out and an area for motor homes and other campers. Some of the tent sites have electricity.

There are some campgrounds on the ocean side, but they are a distance from the water and no shade. Also, just cold water...

I look forward to hearing about everyone's favorite campsites in the Carolinas!
  • Doreen_Murray
    Options
    That sounds like a win! Christopher loves the water, but the beach site we have here in Wilmington (Carolina Beach) is usually packed with college students, so I didn't want to camp there. :flowerforyou:
  • Lauraph
    Lauraph Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    We went to Hunting Island State Park in SC years ago and remember it being very nice.

We have done most of our camping in the Smokies... so not sure how far you want to drive. Cades Cove in TN is over an 8 hour drive for you... but it is really nice.

If you ride bikes the Virginia Creeper Trail is fun... it starts in Abingdon, VA and I am sure there is campling. You can do day rides down the trail. Again... a 6 hour drive, but very fun.

Sounds fun!
  • Doreen_Murray
    Options
    I haven't heard of either so thanks...I don't mind a day's drive. My little guy is an excellent travel partner! :)
  • chadopatterson
    chadopatterson Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What kind of camping do you plan to do? RV, Car camping, backpacking? We do a little of all three, so I can recommend a few based on which type.
  • Doreen_Murray
    Options
    Well right now since I'm kind of new to it, I started out in a tent cabin (I know, such a cheater!), but I think I'm ready to graduate to a real tent! I love hiking and the water and my son keeps up pretty good on hikes and is learning to fish so open to anything that doesn't require an RV really! Thanks:)
  • psmith_five
    psmith_five Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Karr lake on the Virginia border in the fall is amazing. I stayed there when I was a boy scout so I'm not sure if there are any other camp grounds open to the public but I would hope so.
  • mike667grace
    Options
    Lake Hartwell camping and cabins is awesome. We live just around the bend and my wife works there. I can honestly say it's a really nice place to visit and the fishing's not too bad around here.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    We love Yogi's Jellystone Park Camp and Resort at River Bottom Farms

http://www.riverbottomfarms.com/