Camelbak.....best.purchase.ever!

Options
ebaymommy
ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
I've had a Nathan 4-bottle hydration belt for about 3 years now and I've hated it for about 2.75 of those years. LOL! A few weeks ago I was running a 15-mile run and wore it for the first time in a while. Got back from my run and my hubby said, "How was your run?" to which I replied, "Awful! I spent 98% of my run thinking about/hating/fiddling with my water belt and the other 2% thinking about how bad I needed to pee." (I did stop to do that during my run, by the way). That was it, I decided no more runs with the belt.

But I'm in training for a marathon so my mileage is going up and the weather is getting warmer, so I need something for water during my long runs. I had a gift card my mom gave me for my birthday to Scheels so I was browsing there and decided to buy a Camelbak Rogue. It holds 70oz (way more than I need, but hey, whatever) and has a couple pockets/pouches as well.

I got it the day before my 18 mile run last weekend. I've done 4 marathons, so I know the whole routine of "try new stuff on shorter runs" but I threw caution to the wind and decided to take it out with me anyway. It was WONDERFUL! It fit so well, barely moved while I was running. I only put about 24oz of water in so there was some sloshing but my water bottles on my old belt sloshed, too. In the one pocket I put in some Kleenex, a tube of chapstik and my cell phone. I get tired of wearing my iPod on my arm, so I put that in the upper pocket and just strung the earbud wires out.

I found it very easy to drink out of on the run and at the end of my 18 miles I had no rubbing or chafing from it. I'm so glad I finally have something that works for drinking on long runs. I have 21 miles to do this weekend, so it will be going out with me for road test #2. :)

Replies

• leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Good deal! I am looking at getting one for this summer when the temps and humidity hit high 90s here in Georgia. I'm thinking of going with the 50 oz version. Let us know how test trial #2 goes! :)
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    For long trail runs - cycling I use a Camelbak Octane XT, very snug doesn't rub at all and has a couple of pockets too. I would highly recommend it. It's 3ltr - 100 oz

http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recreation/Packs/2012-Octane-XCT.aspx

I also use an Innov8 12ltr (capacity) that has the benefit of the hydration pouch sitting on your hips. I tend to use this for days in the mountains
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/inov-8-race-pro-12-rucksack-aw10/
  • blantonjm1
    blantonjm1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am training for my second marathon, my first one was in 2006 and then i took some time off running. But now that i am getting to my longer runs and am need much more water, I too have been considering a camelpak. Because 2 weeks ago I started a 16 mile run with the temps at 60degrees and ended with them in the high 70's. I was used to running in 20's- 40's so i think i drank about 100 oz of water on that run. It shouldn't be so extreme as my body gets used to the warmer temperature but i am curious how the pak works for you on your longer run as well.
  • renkath
    renkath Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I use a camelbak for runs longer than one hour. Pop a nuun in there sometimes - especially if it is warm. Can be hot and sweaty.
  • ebaymommy
    Options
    I am training for my second marathon, my first one was in 2006 and then i took some time off running. But now that i am getting to my longer runs and am need much more water, I too have been considering a camelpak. Because 2 weeks ago I started a 16 mile run with the temps at 60degrees and ended with them in the high 70's. I was used to running in 20's- 40's so i think i drank about 100 oz of water on that run. It shouldn't be so extreme as my body gets used to the warmer temperature but i am curious how the pak works for you on your longer run as well.

Woah, I'm impressed, you drank 100oz on a 16 mile run? I seriously need to work on drinking more, I think. Three weeks ago I did a 15 mile run and drank about 10oz, the week after I did a 17 mile run, temps were in the 60s and humid. Didn't carry water with me but set a water bottle out on the front steps of my mom's house (was away on spring break visiting) and ran by once to take a swig out - maybe drank 4oz the entire run. I was proud that last week on my 18 miler I drank probably 16-20oz, that's good for me. The weather last week was mild, in the 50s I think.

Digesting my breakfast a bit then headed out for a 21 miler today and taking my pack. It's cool this morning (34 degrees) so I don't anticipate being very thirsty but do want my pack for some food, kleenex, ipod and cell phone.
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I love my camelbak!! I even bring it on shorter runs over 3 miles because its so convenient and hands free.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    How do you drink that much without having to stop for bathroom breaks all the time? I have a hard time going without a bathroom break at least every hour of my runs, and I drink very little.
  • ebaymommy
    Options
    Just a quick report, took it out for it's 2nd run today and I'm still thrilled with it. Today's run was 21 miles, again no chafing or rubbing anywhere.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    hearing this review has really helped me. I'm looking at doing a 1/2 marathon in october, and have obviously thought about hydration. I have thought of a belt, but i know it would annoy me. I like the idea of the camelback. i've put it on my wish list now. going to get it after I pay off my shoe/skins layby.
  • faithog
    faithog Posts: 76
    Options
    I wear my Osprey for long runs as well. After longer runs (10+ miles) my back gets a little sore =/

Was your back sore from the extra weight the next day?

-F
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Been using my Camelbak Octane since last summer, for runs that are longer than 90 minutes.
  • ebaymommy
    Options
    I wear my Osprey for long runs as well. After longer runs (10+ miles) my back gets a little sore =/

Was your back sore from the extra weight the next day?

-F

Not sore at all. But the pack only weighs about 9oz and I put 40oz of water in plus my few other odds & ends (phone, kleenex, chapstik, iPod....probably only totaled up to 3-3.5lbs of extra weight I was carrying.
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend got me one a few days ago as an early birthday present (if he waited til after my birthday I wouldn't be able to use it to train for my marathon). I love it!
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Both me and my husband carry a Camelbak when we run. I had the same issues with waist belts. Wish It hadn't taken me so long to switch over.

You were talking about the sloshing?
    When you fill your pack with water, turn it upside down and suck the air out of the pack. Later, when you pull a drink from it, dont blow back into the tube to push the water back down. Those two things will keep the air out of the bladder, thus, no sloshing:-)

exercise.png
  • ebaymommy
    Options
    Both me and my husband carry a Camelbak when we run. I had the same issues with waist belts. Wish It hadn't taken me so long to switch over.

When you fill your pack with water, turn it upside down and suck the air out of the pack. Later, when you pull a drink from it, dont blow back into the tube to push the water back down. Those two things will keep the air out of the bladder, thus, no sloshing:-)

Thank you, I will try that next time.....I have 18 miles scheduled for Friday, so I will give it a go then.
  • yokurio
    yokurio Posts: 116 Member
    Options

exercise.png

I'm exmilitary and my number one concern for the camelbak was the sloshing. I never in the 8 years I served had this cross my mind. What a brilliant idea! Now I think I'm going to use that camelbak on my long runs. Awesome!
  • polar135
    polar135 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I love my camelbak, i wouldn't do a training run over 5 miles without it.
  • jbrinda1
    jbrinda1 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Never been a fan of hydration belts....the FUEL belts require way too much work to get out or put back in. The only one I kind of liked was the holster style Nathan because it was a hard plastic holster you could easily slide the bottles in and out of with one hand. But I never liked the added weight on my hips. Felt like I was being held captive. I have a really old camelback rocket that I used for a tough trail run last year. I filled it too much and used very little, it just weighed me down and sloshed around too much. They make much better ones now. I might consider one of the newer models mentioned below for trail running, but prefer to just have a water stash somewhere for long road running. Definitely not needed in most races that are well supported. But I do LOVE having a camelback on the bike. Hardly notice it at all and makes hydration so much easier...no worries about dropping bottles or fiddling to get them open.
  • ezramedic
    ezramedic Posts: 119
    Options
    Thanks for inspiring me to re-examine the idea of a camelback - I've been just carrying a 24oz bottle as I run...
    I (foolishly) borrowed my husband's camelback once and it chaffed my neck so badly, I dismissed the idea of one of my own...

...but obviously it wasn't fitted to me. I'm off to do some shopping!
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I agree! I have the mini-mule and I love, love, love it!!!