MASS EFFECT 3 ENDING LOL WARNING *SPOILER ALERTS*

Options
What are your guys thoughts on the Mass Effect 3 ending? I know there has been a lot of controversy about it. I feel it is justified seeming as BioWare stated before releasing the game, that your decisions would impact the endings and also they emphasized how different the endings were from each other. However, I did not see any of that. Hence why I think they feel obligated to give us the new DLC (thank god it's going to be at least free).

I enjoyed the story a lot, right up until you basically see the little boy again... That's where it all kind of went crazy for me. The story took some weird twist, like it seemed the writers just wanted it to be over with. I really think players deserved to see what happened afterwards and how it effected the other people in your game. I don't buy this indoctrinated bull****, even if that were true - it needed to be properly explained, not some frickin guessing game. I love the entire Mass Effect series, its my favorite game. However, this didn't do Shepard any justice. Dammit I died for Earth, I wanna see people crying!!

P.S. Thane L.I. was pretty awful, geez. Felt like I was visiting my grandma at a nursing home and I wasn't even romantically involved with him. Not to mention after he died, no one on the ship acknowledged it or anything lmao. Like he was some piss in the wind.

Replies

• llgeisz
    llgeisz Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I will let you know when I get to it.... I just started the series so I am a noob but so far it is great...
  • OMGLeigh
    OMGLeigh Posts: 236
    Options
    I felt like I was stabbed in the back. I lost the desire to play video games for a while, and I haven't started up the game again after that ending.
    I loved the game, and have no real gripes about it. I also loved how they spent time on teammate interactions. Just... that ending. Blech.
    They tried to force us to care about that little boy, and it didn't work. And to have it take the form of that catalyst thing was just stupid imo.

You Thane lovers really got ripped off.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Bioware has said they're redoing the endings for ME3, and offering them as free downloadable content. Not sure when it will be available (the new release just said "this summer"), but we'll see what they do with it.
  • jstur14
    jstur14 Posts: 30
    Options
    The game itself I enjoyed very much but the ending seemed very lackluster, It was like I did all this work for 3 games and all i get is a quick cut scene that explains nothing at all and some old dude talking to a kid about the shepard dude who did stuff a long time ago.

If you take the ending at is face value makes no sense either seeing as I had EDI with me on the final push and supposedly everyone but me and anderson died trying to make the final push but someone she is on the ship with joker at the end(Also why is joker running from battle?)

I want a ending that feels like I made some big choices for 3 games

Overall though I enjoyed the game :P
  • Iheartpsychosis
    Options
    Bioware has said they're redoing the endings for ME3, and offering them as free downloadable content. Not sure when it will be available (the new release just said "this summer"), but we'll see what they do with it.

Yeah I think it will be hard to please everyone - but if they at least give some more insight into what happens with the people you have created relationships with over these 3 games. Anyhow I appreciate them offering this extra content, it was necessary imo. I'll definitely be downloading it, just for replay value sake. I have a lot of ME2 saves that I haven't bothered finishing in ME3. I would love to see how that turns out.
  • i_dont_want_2_be_fat_anymore
    Options
    As long as this new Epilogue DLC clarifies what the writers were not able to during that ending sequence, then i'm ok with it. For as much as i didn't care for the ending, changing the actual endings that were included with the game to satisfy a bunch of cry-baby fanboi's is not the way to go. Make the product and deal with the consequences....which it sounds like they are doing albeit at the stupidity of it's fanbase.

Hmm, let's start a web petition. Hmm, let's do a toy charity drive. Hmm, let's contact the BBB. Hmm, let's contact the FTC. If only people got this motivated to try and make changes with the things in their life that actually matter, the world just might be a better place...

Having said that, there is no reason why they couldn't have included a brief description after the cutscene similar to the way Dragon Age: Origins did after you defeat the ArchDemon. I think that would have satisfied many people. The problem I have with all of this ending nonsense is the outrage it's created. If your life revolves around a Video Game that much...then i think you need to step away from the Console/PC and re-evaluate your life. And this is coming from me, who i would say is a Very Very Huge Fan of the entire Mass Effect Universe.

Here are my possible "reasons" the endings are what they are...

1. The Indoctrination Theory is accurate. (Google it, there is plenty of info on this)
    2. EA said, "Nope this is the deadline for the game and that's that. Make cuts where you need to, to get this game out on time."
    3. There is a rumor that the original endings were leaked, and ultimately changed because of that.
    4. Mac Walters is not a good of a writer as Drew Karpyshyn (or however you spell this name). Mass Effect's lead writer was Drew. EA comes along and Mac is the new writer. Drew also wrote the first 3 novels which are not only good, but coincide with the games perfectly. Drew didn't write the 4th book, and there are A TON of canonical errors in it so bad to the point where the publisher has stated they will correct the errors in the book's 2nd edition. IE book rewrite.
  • OMGLeigh
    Options
    Warning, I am a *****y fangirl.

I don't buy the indoctrination theory.
    The ending was so inaccurate to what was going on that I call BS.
    Even if they did a new cutscene to "explain things", they would have to remove that junky scene with the Normandy fleeing. That isn't accurate and you know it.
    I dislike the fans who refunded their copy of the game. I like Bioware, I really do, so that was a low blow. Also, you don't get to demand a refund if a movie has a bad ending. You can't ask for your money back after a day spent at an amusement park just because they shut down a ride or two early in the evening. The bulk of the game was great.
    If this was a single game it would have never gotten this blown out of proportion. But after playing through three great games, and then hitting the wall with that ending for the entire thing, was just rude. Even more insult to injury was when the screen popped up to keep playing and buy DLC. It could have only been worse if it was all a dream and you wake up as if nothing happened.
    As long as this new Epilogue DLC clarifies what the writers were not able to during that ending sequence, then i'm ok with it. For as much as i didn't care for the ending, changing the actual endings that were included with the game to satisfy a bunch of cry-baby fanboi's is not the way to go. Make the product and deal with the consequences....which it sounds like they are doing albeit at the stupidity of it's fanbase.

Hmm, let's start a web petition. Hmm, let's do a toy charity drive. Hmm, let's contact the BBB. Hmm, let's contact the FTC. If only people got this motivated to try and make changes with the things in their life that actually matter, the world just might be a better place...

Having said that, there is no reason why they couldn't have included a brief description after the cutscene similar to the way Dragon Age: Origins did after you defeat the ArchDemon. I think that would have satisfied many people. The problem I have with all of this ending nonsense is the outrage it's created. If your life revolves around a Video Game that much...then i think you need to step away from the Console/PC and re-evaluate your life. And this is coming from me, who i would say is a Very Very Huge Fan of the entire Mass Effect Universe.

Here are my possible "reasons" the endings are what they are...

1. The Indoctrination Theory is accurate. (Google it, there is plenty of info on this)
    2. EA said, "Nope this is the deadline for the game and that's that. Make cuts where you need to, to get this game out on time."
    3. There is a rumor that the original endings were leaked, and ultimately changed because of that.
    4. Mac Walters is not a good of a writer as Drew Karpyshyn (or however you spell this name). Mass Effect's lead writer was Drew. EA comes along and Mac is the new writer. Drew also wrote the first 3 novels which are not only good, but coincide with the games perfectly. Drew didn't write the 4th book, and there are A TON of canonical errors in it so bad to the point where the publisher has stated they will correct the errors in the book's 2nd edition. IE book rewrite.
    Options
    I am not sure if i buy into the entire Indoctrination Theory, at least if i do...only during the last game. I don't believe THE ENTIRE SERIES was in your mind. That is just so far beyond dumb i can't even fathom thinking about it.

You are right with the whole Normandy fleeing and in the cut scene, squad mates walk out that you know damn well were in London with you when the "slo-mo" sequence started. I can't answer that one.

Your example of the bad movie is exactly my point in regards to the masses complaining until they got their way. Don't get me wrong, i want answers just as much as the next guy, but i'm content in getting those answers through other means. Starting a charity, contacting the Federal Trade Commission and pressuring BioWare is the wrong way to go.

I didn't watch Lost, but i don't think everyone who followed it from beginning to end threw their TV's out their front windows when that series ended did they?

Maybe it's just me, but i would rather they made a new game that took place after the events of this one...where your character has to work on putting the galaxy back together. Given the extreme event that just happened at the end of 3, regardless of the ending you choose, there is going to be TONS of chaos and turmoil....all perfect scenarios for a game.

It's been stated that while this may not be the last Mass Effect game, it was Definitely the conclusion of Commander Shepard. My fear is that all this backlash will prevent any future games from being made, or at the very least their creation will be compromised because now the developer has to conduct opinion polls to make sure the game is being made to "consumer standards"....

That for me is where the greatest problem lies.

Warning, I am a *****y fangirl.

I don't buy the indoctrination theory.
    The ending was so inaccurate to what was going on that I call BS.
    Even if they did a new cutscene to "explain things", they would have to remove that junky scene with the Normandy fleeing. That isn't accurate and you know it.
    I dislike the fans who refunded their copy of the game. I like Bioware, I really do, so that was a low blow. Also, you don't get to demand a refund if a movie has a bad ending. You can't ask for your money back after a day spent at an amusement park just because they shut down a ride or two early in the evening. The bulk of the game was great.
    If this was a single game it would have never gotten this blown out of proportion. But after playing through three great games, and then hitting the wall with that ending for the entire thing, was just rude. Even more insult to injury was when the screen popped up to keep playing and buy DLC. It could have only been worse if it was all a dream and you wake up as if nothing happened.
  • OMGLeigh
    Options
    My fear is that if people refund their games, and go about this as jerks, that we may lose Bioware. Game companies lose funding for far less. They make good games, and countless times I tell myself "this game would be way better if Bioware made it".

The current problem I see with a game about rebuilding, is that the current ending has the relays destroyed. So now, on Earth, there are members of every alien fleet, stranded, no way to get home. The galaxy has been cut off from itself. How would our solar system maintain the needs of all of those fleets? How do we rebuild when that ridiculous post-credits scene makes it sound like people don't really traverse space anymore?

I really don't mind people letting Bioware know how they feel. If I went out to a restaurant and didn't like something I would certainly be Yelping about it. And if that Yelp stopped people from going, so be it. If that Yelp post and those of others help the owner realize that something needs to be changed, then even better.

It boils down for me that this should have been avoided. Those developing the game should have foreseen this. Maybe they did and no one was willing to listen, but it was a glaring mistake.

I would also pay for a new ending. Nice if they want it to be free DLC, but if I could get what I want, I would expect to have to pay at least something for it.
    Options
    My fear is that if people refund their games, and go about this as jerks, that we may lose Bioware.
    I have to believe this started when EA acquired BioWare, with the ME3 events only adding fuel to that fire. Doctors are supposed to be smart right? Why on earth would they do that?
    The current problem I see with a game about rebuilding, is that the current ending has the relays destroyed. So now, on Earth, there are members of every alien fleet, stranded, no way to get home. The galaxy has been cut off from itself. How would our solar system maintain the needs of all of those fleets? How do we rebuild when that ridiculous post-credits scene makes it sound like people don't really traverse space anymore?

I don't claim to be a great writer so who knows. Long distance space travel would still be possible, it would just take FOREVER. Mass Relays made it instantaneous.
    I really don't mind people letting Bioware know how they feel. If I went out to a restaurant and didn't like something I would certainly be Yelping about it. And if that Yelp stopped people from going, so be it. If that Yelp post and those of others help the owner realize that something needs to be changed, then even better.

It boils down for me that this should have been avoided. Those developing the game should have foreseen this. Maybe they did and no one was willing to listen, but it was a glaring mistake.

I would also pay for a new ending. Nice if they want it to be free DLC, but if I could get what I want, I would expect to have to pay at least something for it.

I can't argue with any of that. With all that's happened, i would still happily pay to get some DLC that clearly let's me find out Exactly What Happened based on my decisions that i've been importing since the first.
  • OMGLeigh
    Options
    EA isn't really the best when it comes to preserving the integrity of those that they acquire.

After spending $80 on the game, I doubt I'll spend anymore until they offer up a fix for the ending. I'd still pay for a new ending, but nothing else until that is available.
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    DIDN'T READ ANYTHING IN THIS THREAD BECAUSE I'M WAITING FOR MY SCHOOL SEMESTER (3 WEEKS!) TO END. AGHHHHH. I JUST WANT TO SAY THAT I'M EXCITED AND I HEARD THE END WAS BAD BUT I WILL PLAY IT ANYWAY.
  • OMGLeigh
    Options
    DIDN'T READ ANYTHING IN THIS THREAD BECAUSE I'M WAITING FOR MY SCHOOL SEMESTER (3 WEEKS!) TO END. AGHHHHH. I JUST WANT TO SAY THAT I'M EXCITED AND I HEARD THE END WAS BAD BUT I WILL PLAY IT ANYWAY.

It is still worth playing, maybe by the time you get to it the ending will be better.
  • Iheartpsychosis
    Options

It's still an awesome game. Enjoy! I know I will take pleasure in another run through in the future. Maybe people are just sad because it's the last one with Shepard - I am :( lol.
  • azuria518
    azuria518 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've been reading all these different theories about the end of the game and honestly I do feel bioware messed up. I'm a freaking mass effect fan girl for life and I felt robbed. The ending just felt really incomplete and too many things were left up in the air. That being said other than the ending I loved the game- easily one of my favorite games. So I really don't understand why people are freaking out and returning the game. They know bioware will add DLC no way I would give up my game.
  • Iheartpsychosis
    Options
    I've been reading all these different theories about the end of the game and honestly I do feel bioware messed up. I'm a freaking mass effect fan girl for life and I felt robbed. The ending just felt really incomplete and too many things were left up in the air. That being said other than the ending I loved the game- easily one of my favorite games. So I really don't understand why people are freaking out and returning the game. They know bioware will add DLC no way I would give up my game.

^This.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I didn't mind the ending, for what it was. It sure wasn't what I thought it would be. Nor was it how I would have ended it. But I didn't hate it.

However, some parts in the story took me aback. Like when Tali died for me, Shepard just kinda watched and then turned to the others, "Right. Shall we carry on, then?" Like, wtf?

I still loved the game, even though I never got to play the first one since I don't run Windows and I don't have an Xbox 360.
  • BreakingOath
    BreakingOath Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    The ending didn't make any since and was just plain horrible in my opinion. They can do all of these codex entries throughout the series talking about jelly fish economics and weapons that we only hear about twice, but they give us a lackluster ending like this? It doesn't make any sense.

Also, it makes it so some of the decisions that you thought were important, weren't that important. So what if Quarians got Rannoch back? THEY ARE STUCK IN SOL MUHAHAHAHA.

And the Rachni were just there to help build the Crucible apparently? That's amazing. I'm so glad I helped them out.

But in the end none of it really mattered because there are three endings. And having three endings would be a big deal if they weren't ALL THE SAME. Bioware just gave us all a middle finger!

Also, why was the Normandy in the middle of a jump anyways? That doesn't make any sense.

But of course, they will try to make it better by explaining everything in this epilogue DLC....The game was going so good until the end. It was set up to succeed in so many ways!
  • Iheartpsychosis
    Options
    So many opinions about the ending. Love the Mass Effect community!! They are so passionate, that alone is a credit to BioWare.
  • BreakingOath
    BreakingOath Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Too bad Bioware has so much pressure by EA to release games at a fast pace and they seem to become worse and worse...