Is wrist size an indicator of being "big boned"?

Options
Hi,

I haven't been here for a while but I'm tracking my eating habits once again and was happy to read some posts by other tall women. A couple posts made me think and generated this question: How can a tall woman determine whether she is closer to having a smaller frame or a larger one? Obviously if you have a very tiny frame or a large one there would be no question, but I'm not sure what extreme I'm closer to. Is a wrist measurement an indicator somehow? And if so, what are some measurements that coincide with tiny, average, large?

Replies

• mslindsay
    mslindsay Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I believe you measure you elbow and wrist or something like that.

I googled it: http://www.medindia.net/patients/calculators/framesize1.asp
  • MystiqueASAP
    Options
    Wrist Measurements - Take your thumb and index finger and wrap them around your wrist.

- Small body frame - Fingers overlap
    - Medium body frame - Fingers meet/touch
    - Large body frame - Fingers do not meet/touch

Hope this helps.
  • TraceyR68
    TraceyR68 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Darn ... so much for my 'big bones' excuse :sad:
  • MystiqueASAP
    Options
    I know the feeling... small wrists, big thighs. :sad:
  • visiri
    visiri Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Darn ... so much for my 'big bones' excuse :sad:

Yeah - I though I was medium build, then I lost 15 lbs and was playing around with my spinning rings and remeasured my wrist - I'm "small boned" who knew. I strongly recommend remeasuring as you lose weight if you are not small boned/framed as you might discover you are after some weight loss.
  • sharistime
    Options
    Thank you for the link! I guess I fall into the medium frame category. I measured both my wrist and my elbow. I'm not quite 5'10', more like 5' 93/4". When I calculated the wrist measurement at 5'10" I was small, but when I measured it at 5'9" I was large. The elbow came in at a definite medium so I'm going with that one! And so much for my "big bones" excuses too! :)
  • Rachiewoowoo
    Options
    What if I'm disproportional!! My hands and feet are both smal for my height... so my fingers don't touch, but my wrists look TINY in comparison to the rest of my body. And I have extremely wide shoulders, confusion!!
  • sharistime
    Options
    That's a good question. Try out the link that was posted in the first reply to my post. It talks about an elbow breadth measurement that might be more accurate?

The elbow measurement is tough to do alone, but I placed my elbow down on a piece of paper with my arm in the suggested position and then marked the paper with a pencil, staying as close with the mark as I could to where my elbow bones were. Then I just measured the marks I made on the paper. If you need a better description of how to measure elbow breadth I used this link: http://www.etoolsage.com/Calculator/Frame_Size_Calculator.asp But I saw a few others that could be used too.