same old same old

Hey. I was wondering if any vegan people find what works well into their restrictions and then just eat the same few things over and over again. I'm specifically asking vegans because I know that we ALREADY have dietary restrictions on top of our diet.

I find that I eat PB2, wasa, hummus, and pickles all the time, and I'm not bored or anything. I love those foods but I know the reason why those are the most common are because they are low in calorie so I can eat them more and I get pleasure knowing what I'm eating won't ruin my eating habits for the rest of the day.

Does anyone else do this?

Replies

• sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 549 Member
    Yes! Cashews, fruits and veggies for juicing, olives, hummus, and my two favorites in season right now (can't get enough) -- avocados and artichokes!
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,319 Member
    I eat a crap ton of avo! Also, I have found that both the husband and I enjoy bibimbap and lentil tacos so those are pretty much a weekly (or more) meal in our house
  • claram5415
    claram5415 Posts: 512 Member
    Most of us, both meat eaters, vegetarian and vegan all eat the same 6 or 7 recipes all the time. My mom had the same dinner for us every monday (hamburgers), Tuesday was fried chicken, and so on. It's just easier unless you have a weekend day to try something new.
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    I do this - in a way.

I will make a pot of soup on Sunday and eat it for lunches every day for the rest of the week.

But I do have my "go-to" foods. Fries and a boca chickn are the fastest dinner, so I fall back on that a lot. And there is a great Japanese place 5 minutes from my house so I was ordering from there 2 times a week at one point.

I think it's okay to do this though. As long as you are happy and satisfied I see no reason why you shouldn't eat the "usuals" when you want to.
  • kate_n_pjs
    kate_n_pjs Posts: 86 Member
    hummus, Sprouted grain tortillas, carrots and cucumber, coffee are my daily vegan foods, oh and some sort of granola bar on the weekdays.

Every week I eat basically the same dinners: taco night, giant salad night, vietnamese take-out night, snack plate night (olives, crackers, hummus, loads of veggies, maybe some cheese), homemade sushi (veggie/tofu rolls), New foods night, yummy bar food night. Each week this is my dinners. It makes going to the grocery store super fast. I just buy the produce that is on sale, and then other usual stuff to go with that.

Today is Wednesday and I am making a Seitan and veggie stir fry at home, using seitan for the first time. Oh, I am also going to try the weird tofu noodles :/ I'm not so sure about them? Yesterday was Taco night, and I get the leftovers for lunch :)
  • Lately I have been trying new recipes cuz the same old was getting my diet down, I make my own granola bars and every week try something differant in them, add the spice.
    1/2 cup peanut butter or almond butter
    1/2 cup vegan marg earth balance
    melt them together in micro
    then in another bowl, 2 and 1/2 cups oatmeal, 2 mashed over riped bananas
    mix every thing together put in glass pan (flatten) then bake for 20 min at 350
    you can add what ever you want, cocanut, nuts, coco, spices
    every week is a new taste test......I count a square as a cookie.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    When I went vegan (7 years ago), my food choices expanded greatly. I eat so many types of cuisines than I never tried as a meat eater. Like Indian, Thai, Ethiopian, Vietnamese, and Korean. I also broadened my mexican and chinese choices.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Nah I try to mix things up as much as possible.

Mainly because I get horrendously bored with things and have a short attention span!

Whatever I do make though, I make plenty of and end up freezing it, forgetting about it - and then it's a nice surprise whatever I find in the freezer a few weeks later (particularly before pay day!).

I guess I do keep essentials in from week to week - avocados, hummus, tortilla wraps... general salad stuff. I just vary what I do with it somewhat.

Plus, I've yet to find something that I CAN'T put sriracha on and enjoy haha
  • Stephanie198907
    Stephanie198907 Posts: 163 Member
    I know a lot of exiles but for the sake of my diet I usually stick to the same few recipes and foods because I know what I can mix and match to meet m calorie needs. It's just easier. I eat a lot of bell peppers, quinoa, kombucha tea, melon, raw food bars, progresso soup and popcorn.