Dress Shopping yet?

Options
MrsDouglas2U
MrsDouglas2U Posts: 38 Member
Hey Ladies,

Just wanted to know if anyone has been Dress shopping yet?

I'm waiting to reach my goal weight before I shop for a dress.. so hopefully I'll start shopping by the end of summer.

Tell me about your Dress shopping experiences!

Replies

• mrshughes0810
    Options
    I have been engaged for like a year, I went when I first got engaged, and I was 22 lbs heavier, clearly I wasn't happy in anything. Evan after the weight loss though, I went back again and still feel like I should wait until I hit my goal with is another 12 lbs to really look.
  • MrsDouglas2U
    Options
    I completely understand... I'm trying to lose weight before I go dress shopping, hoping that it would motivate me to lose my goal weight!

Keep up the good work!
  • 88perfect
    88perfect Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    yes, i already have my dress. i have $300 more to pay it off.
    but im waiting to do alterations, sense i want to lose more weight
    i will get those done a month or two before the wedding
  • Cravenamanda
    Cravenamanda Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am also waiting to dress shop until my weight is lost. Not planning on getting married until next fall so I have some time, but I would still prefer to get this weight off sooner rather than later.
  • sarabooth11
    sarabooth11 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm dreading the dress shopping right now. I'm supposed to go in May (2012) and the thought of it is stressing me out so much, that I keep eating!
    I'm not losing anything! That combined with the fact that we're going on a big family vacation in July and we're having problems planning it, I'm just one huge stressing, stuffing my face, wreck!
    HELP!!!!!!!
  • eskimozie
    eskimozie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm having a dress made for me since I'm so hard to fit...all hips and legs...not so much on top.

My fiancé is losing weight simply by eating my cooking instead of his sisters (lol) but if anything... I'm gaining. I'm so freaked out! I eat so carefully (most of the time) and try to stay active but I HATE to "exercise". I feel like I’m letting him down by not doing more….but after work and life…I’m so tired… I don’t want to get up early or stay up late just to hit the gym.

I have the wedding planning blues.....
  • asumma13
    asumma13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just got engaged March 12th of this year and were getting married October 12th of 2013. I have awhile before I go dress shopping so im trying to shed some weight before I do so!
  • misslariss84
    misslariss84 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm getting married in September of this year. I started looking in November 2011 and bought my dress in January. I have gained 5-7 lbs since I bought the dress (oops!) but fortunately it was a little big on me then, so now it fits perfectly. i just started dieting this week, though, and I'm hoping to lose that plus another 15 lbs more before I go in for alterations.

I bought a dress that is pretty simple and I was told by my tailor that I could lose quite a bit of weight and not have a problem. The tailor told me that you only really get into problems when there's a lot of beading or other intricate details--drastic changes sometimes can't be made without changing the look of the dress.
  • kchalk31283
    Options
    I'm wearing my mother's dress, and she was the same size when she got married that I am now, so I'm not stressing about it all that much...but I don't want to start the reconstruction of it until I get halfway to my goal...hopefully by the end of the summer...I'm on a serious plateau here... :grumble:
  • sbreems
    sbreems Posts: 17
    Options
    I went dress shopping and found what I want and I need to order it now if I want it by my wedding date (July 28, 2012), but I would like to lose weight and am afraid I will sabotage myself so I fit in the dress. I know they can do alterations, but I wonder how much? I thought about waiting until I lose weight, but then I will def. need to buy off the rack.
  • augustbride2012wa
    augustbride2012wa Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I bought my dress in my current size, and am taking it to alterations 6 weeks out. Hoping that works out... getting married August 5th, yay!
  • MrsDouglas2U
    Options
    I'm dreading the dress shopping right now. I'm supposed to go in May (2012) and the thought of it is stressing me out so much, that I keep eating!
    I'm not losing anything! That combined with the fact that we're going on a big family vacation in July and we're having problems planning it, I'm just one huge stressing, stuffing my face, wreck!
    HELP!!!!!!!

*** OMG I'm here to help :) !!

So what I advise you to take some time to collect your thoughts (TODAY) and focus on what's important. Take a long bubble bath or do whatever relaxes you and start on path to happiness. Imagine Yourself walking down the aisle watching your groom smile and shed tears at the fact that you are his Bride. And you both are going to have many wonderful years together building a family and a joyful life ... :) The important thing is for you to relax and not stress.

I know stress can add to weight gain or not losing anything .If losing weight is important to you inorder for you to become happy with your self and your physical image, than you make sure before you EMOTIONALLY eat, ask yourself is this it worth it? Ask yourself why am I eating this food , am I eating this because im hungry or emotionally frustrated. If you find yourself eating more food that you are considering your emotional food, then find a way to relax and focus YOUR GOAL to happiness!

On another note, the dress can be altered and bought in the size you currently are in, so It's easier to take in a dress, than to let out a dress. So even if (worse case senario) you don't lose anything you surely dont want to gain weight. So smile :) because you didnt indicate that you've gained weight. Weight loss is different for everyone and everyone loses weight at their own speed. If your goal is to lose weight than try reevaluating what you're doing on a daily basis.

I hope this helps, I'll be checking in on you to make sure you're doing onkay. -- Just keep logging and exercising.
  • MrsDouglas2U
    Options
    I'm having a dress made for me since I'm so hard to fit...all hips and legs...not so much on top.

My fiancé is losing weight simply by eating my cooking instead of his sisters (lol) but if anything... I'm gaining. I'm so freaked out! I eat so carefully (most of the time) and try to stay active but I HATE to "exercise". I feel like I’m letting him down by not doing more….but after work and life…I’m so tired… I don’t want to get up early or stay up late just to hit the gym.

I have the wedding planning blues.....

My questions for you are what activities do you like doing? I know for example I liked the idea of bike riding as a kid.. so me and my S/O went out to buy bikes, which of course is an exercise, and I got a great calorie burn according to my HRM (heart rate monitor watch)... SO find something that you like to do that is active. .. If your not an active person, are you a gamer? I ask this question because I bought a game (Dance, Dance revolution) you know the dance game at the arcade.. well they have a workout log on that game and based of your score it calculates your calorie burn. So that's another way to have fun while dancing. Another option is using youtube on your computer for exercises like zumba, taebo, step aerobics...I use this all the time.

My point is I know we all get tired from time to time due to our hectic lives, but you have to find something you like doing and could do it at home instead of going to the gym. So think about the active things you have in your house that you can use to workout at home. I know Wal-Mart has several exercise video's that are 5-10$.

Focus on your goal! you can make it!
  • MrsDouglas2U
    Options
    I'm wearing my mother's dress, and she was the same size when she got married that I am now, so I'm not stressing about it all that much...but I don't want to start the reconstruction of it until I get halfway to my goal...hopefully by the end of the summer...I'm on a serious plateau here... :grumble:

I Believe in you,you can do it! Re-evaluate what you're doing, whether its the amounts of activtiy or food consumpution. You may have to bump it up a bit! Conquer that Dress !
  • MrsDouglas2U
    Options
    Hey all! I bought my dress in my current size, and am taking it to alterations 6 weeks out. Hoping that works out... getting married August 5th, yay!

I see that you're 20 lbs out, that's great..keep up the great work.. You can achieve anything!
  • MrsDouglas2U
    Options
    I went dress shopping and found what I want and I need to order it now if I want it by my wedding date (July 28, 2012), but I would like to lose weight and am afraid I will sabotage myself so I fit in the dress. I know they can do alterations, but I wonder how much? I thought about waiting until I lose weight, but then I will def. need to buy off the rack.

Sbreems, when I was in a wedding it cost me 70-110 to get my brides maid dress down sized... I guess it depends on how much they need to do on the dress alterations. Hopefully you wont have to buy off the rack...

CONQUER THAT DRESS! YOU CAN DO IT!