Biking in running shoes

Options
vtate75
vtate75 Posts: 221 Member
I am training for my first triathlon, and I have a question about bike shoes vs. running shoes. Basically, I don't like bike shoes. I don't like being clipped in at ALL. I am wondering if it would be too weird to just bike in my running shoes. It seems like it would save time during the transition because I could just hop off and run. Thoughts?

Replies

• Redness82
    Redness82 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm totally biking in my running shoes!! I don't like the thought of being clipped in either, and faster transition! ;) Of course, I'm a newbie..
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    With practice it's not all that faster in transition and you will lose out on a lot of the power transfer on the bike. When is your race? I'd encourage you to practice with bike shoes. It really does become second nature.
  • Drudoo
    Drudoo Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    The advantage to bike shoes is they allow to pull your crank up on your pedal follow through. This leads to move power being delivered to the wheels and thus faster times.

Bike shoes are awkward at first but more that work getting used to. It's hard for me to imagine riding a bike without them after a year!

Nothing wrong with going without though! Do what's comfortable.
  • aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I agree, I can't imagine biking without bike shoes.... now... but it wasn't always like that. Truly is more efficient too.

One alternative to the clip only pedals are campus pedals.

http://www.amazon.com/Wellgo-WPD-95B-Clipless-Pedals-Silver/dp/B000FGCS2M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1334229177&sr=8-2

One side is clipless and one slide is clip. I originally put those on my first bike as a way to get used to the clips. (At first the clips scared me... yes like everyone else I have fallen over bc I didn't unclip.. it happens).

Good luck!
  • Drudoo
    Options
    Falling over happens to everyone! Even the most experienced riders will have a mental lapse and not get their shoe off in time. I laugh at myself every time I do it and makes for a good moment in group rides since it happens to everyone!
  • scott091501
    Options
    Falling over happens to everyone! Even the most experienced riders will have a mental lapse and not get their shoe off in time. I laugh at myself every time I do it and makes for a good moment in group rides since it happens to everyone!

My elbow is just now healing from the last time I did this. Always great to do it in the first 5 minutes of a 60 mile ride and your buddies rag on you the whole way about it.
  • aggiesrar05
    Options
    Ha! Happened to me 2 weeks ago. Headed out with a group when a giant bird poops on me (it was *everywhere* including dripping through my helmet YUCK). I then freak out, forget to unclip and fall over. Now I look back and laugh. :-)
  • chrisja2
    chrisja2 Posts: 7
    Options
    If its a sprint youre doing, then you could always fit the plastic cage type of things to your pedals. You would then still retain some of the ability to pedal over the top, while knowing youre not clipped in. Also saving you time in T2 as you will already be in your trainers and i cant see you loosing much time on the bike section.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I fell 2 weekends ago biking with my daughter. Highly embarrassing, but we laughed about it on the way back to the car. That was the first time in 3 or 4 years.

I prefer bike shoes, because I feel more connected to the bike. My feet aren't slipping and sliding on the pedals, and I can dial in exactly where my feet stay. I also know when things get a little bit out of control, my feet and bike are connected, so I have a better ability to get the bike doing what I want it to do.

And, I can't stand getting out of the water, putting on shoes/socks, and being all soggy and sloshy the ride and run long. It's the grossest feeling to me!

With that said, if you feel you're better off wearing running shoes, then hey. It's nobody's race but yours. Race it, enjoy it, love it. In whichever shoes you prefer. Anybody who might hold that against you isn't somebody worth taking seriously anyway.

My two cents.
  • vtate75
    vtate75 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    If its a sprint youre doing, then you could always fit the plastic cage type of things to your pedals. You would then still retain some of the ability to pedal over the top, while knowing youre not clipped in. Also saving you time in T2 as you will already be in your trainers and i cant see you loosing much time on the bike section.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I think FOR NOW I will do the plastic cages....as I get used to it all....I'll switch in a month or two when I feel better about my riding.
  • aggiesrar05
    Options

And, I can't stand getting out of the water, putting on shoes/socks, and being all soggy and sloshy the ride and run long. It's the grossest feeling to me!

Forgive my naivety with transitions. Getting out of the water you put your bike shoes on with socks and then change both socks and shoes at T2? Or just shoes at T2?
  • Leesseebee
    Leesseebee Posts: 216
    Options
    I did my first tri with sneakers, my second I just did relay so I was the swimmer (no clips needed!) and I just bought bike shoes for my birthday and I love how you sort of feel bionic when you clip in...I still struggle to get out of them and am only using them indoors until I get used to them...thanks for the link to the dual peddle-I was looking for one!
    Like my last post on your question re bikes-I would use the first tri to get used to it-see if you like it and then slowly invest-or go whole hog-but I recommend getting used to the clips on a spin bike first!
  • scott091501
    Options

Forgive my naivety with transitions. Getting out of the water you put your bike shoes on with socks and then change both socks and shoes at T2? Or just shoes at T2?

I never put on socks. Tri specific bike shoes are designed to be socks optional and a lot of racing flats are too. I would probably put on socks for the run in a full IM, but that's it.
  • aggiesrar05
    Options

I never put on socks. Tri specific bike shoes are designed to be socks optional and a lot of racing flats are too. I would probably put on socks for the run in a full IM, but that's it.

Interesting... Learn something new every day! Thanks for the info! I wonder if that would help with the oh-so-fun pain I have from my socks pushing on my 2nd toe nail. Yes, I've been fit for shoes, yes they are big enough in the toe box. I think it has to do with my socks.
  • scott091501
    Options

Interesting... Learn something new every day! Thanks for the info! I wonder if that would help with the oh-so-fun pain I have from my socks pushing on my 2nd toe nail. Yes, I've been fit for shoes, yes they are big enough in the toe box. I think it has to do with my socks.

Where in Houston did you get fit?
  • aggiesrar05
    Options
    Luke's Locker. I'm actually going to go get refit this weekend at Texas Running Company.. I need new shoes anyways.
  • scott091501
    Options
    Lukes generally does a really good job. Just be super specific on the issues you've experienced and the intended use of the shoe. You may also want to tell them you'd like to try on some shoes for sockless running. I know most Zoots fall into this category as do my Brooks.
  • Drudoo
    Options
    I am currently losing both 2nd toenails from my HIM two weeks ago. My shoes have also been fit but for some reason after these races, I lose my toenails on both those toes. I never have a problem when any shoes at any other point. Just something I deal with. Who needs toenails any ways? I've got 10 to spare!
  • scott091501
    Options
    I am currently losing both 2nd toenails from my HIM two weeks ago. My shoes have also been fit but for some reason after these races, I lose my toenails on both those toes. I never have a problem when any shoes at any other point. Just something I deal with. Who needs toenails any ways? I've got 10 to spare!

I'm pretty sure the heat radiating from the airport portion burned your toenails off. :-P
  • Drudoo
    Options
    No kidding. Who had the bright idea to run out there?! No shade or relief of any kind once past the aid station.