What's your Strength Training Program while going long?

Options
Trail_Addict
Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
I want to see what others are doing for Strength Training while also training for events longer than 2 hours. I guess this goes out to your Marathoners and Ultra guys.

What's your program? Thanks.

Replies

• MellyLikestoRun
    MellyLikestoRun Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm doing TRX twice a week. It is killing me, but in a good way. My core was nonexistent and I needed help. I am also finding that my knees are so much stronger. All those squats are doing the trick.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I don't do anything. I do periodically check my strength when walking through Walmart by seeing if I can still one arm curl the 50 lb dumbbell. I figure if I can still do that then my muscles haven't been consumed by running as so many on this forum say will happen.
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I am a part of a Distance Runner's Strength Training group at my gym. Here is a summary of what we do...the workouts change up each day but we do a lot of the same focused stuff I guess.

Two workouts at the gym 1 hour long: Mondays - Hard, 600 plus calorie burn boot camp style. Tire flips, chain pulls, dynamic stretching, lunges with curls/shoulder presses, tip toes, push ups, planks, push ups with feet in rings, pull ups, prowler pushes, tire jumps, tire step ups..you probably get the idea lol mostly using body weight and strong man type of weights, etc.
    Thursdays: around 400-600 cal burn, mostly dynamic stretching and form improvement exercises. This usually consists of a lot of lower abs/hip exercises as well as planks, side planks with leg raises, etc.
    "at home" or "extra day" workout: here is a link to the video from their youtube site: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_2CninWeEE&feature=fvsr

Then we have daily exercises to do EVERY DAY any time of the day. here are the links for each of those:
    Daily exercises 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXeK5MS_AmM&feature=relmfu
    Daily exercises 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb7A1K1hVcY&feature=relmfu

This has been amazing for me! I also do yoga Hot yoga and now flow yoga too. On my third workout, if we didn't do tire flips or prowlers during the week, I do those too. The daily exercises really make a difference and I have seen so much improvement even considering this is my first marathon I am training for. I PR'd in my second half marathon despite a horrible snowstorm during it so that says something :-) Hope these help! If you want, I can try to ifind videos on youtube of the boot camp exercises too. my gym doesn't have them, tbut I am sure they are out there. Crossfit videos may show some!
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I lift weights 2x a week, usually about an hour each time. I also do a distance runners strength training group at my gym, we meet once a week and then one other time a week I go do that weeks routine on my own. Lots of legs, core and arm work.
  • sufikitkat
    Options
    I lift weights 2x a week, usually about an hour each time. I also do a distance runners strength training group at my gym, we meet once a week and then one other time a week I go do that weeks routine on my own. Lots of legs, core and arm work.

Awesome to hear there is another gym with a runners focus :-) Where is your gym located?
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I do one full body weight session once a week and do a boot camp/circuit training session twice a week. I am trying to increase the sole weight sessions to at least twice a week, as I have seen great improvements in my strength and times since keeping it consistent.
  • leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I do the p90x Chest/Back, Plyometrics and Shoulders/Arms workout each week....usually early in the week. If I am feeling giddy, I will add the AbRipperX to the upper body days.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Its all about minimalism in this sort of scenario IMO, you want to do real work, but not have it effect your running. you need to accept that one or the other takes precedence.

Monday: Squats, two accessories
    Weds: Bench, two accessories
    Fri: Deads, two accessories

For me a typical week will be say
    Squats, Chins, Lunges.
    Bench, Rows, Dips.
    Deads, Press, GM
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I lift hard 1x per week at a place that trains our olympic runners....feel that I am good company there :)
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

Awesome to hear there is another gym with a runners focus :-) Where is your gym located?

I live in central Wisconsin. It's a local gym, not a chain place.
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I am a part of a Distance Runner's Strength Training group at my gym. Here is a summary of what we do...the workouts change up each day but we do a lot of the same focused stuff I guess.

Two workouts at the gym 1 hour long: Mondays - Hard, 600 plus calorie burn boot camp style. Tire flips, chain pulls, dynamic stretching, lunges with curls/shoulder presses, tip toes, push ups, planks, push ups with feet in rings, pull ups, prowler pushes, tire jumps, tire step ups..you probably get the idea lol mostly using body weight and strong man type of weights, etc.
    Thursdays: around 400-600 cal burn, mostly dynamic stretching and form improvement exercises. This usually consists of a lot of lower abs/hip exercises as well as planks, side planks with leg raises, etc.
    "at home" or "extra day" workout: here is a link to the video from their youtube site: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_2CninWeEE&feature=fvsr

Then we have daily exercises to do EVERY DAY any time of the day. here are the links for each of those:
    Daily exercises 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXeK5MS_AmM&feature=relmfu
    Daily exercises 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb7A1K1hVcY&feature=relmfu

This has been amazing for me! I also do yoga Hot yoga and now flow yoga too. On my third workout, if we didn't do tire flips or prowlers during the week, I do those too. The daily exercises really make a difference and I have seen so much improvement even considering this is my first marathon I am training for. I PR'd in my second half marathon despite a horrible snowstorm during it so that says something :-) Hope these help! If you want, I can try to ifind videos on youtube of the boot camp exercises too. my gym doesn't have them, tbut I am sure they are out there. Crossfit videos may show some!

Thanks for the links! I love that you have a group of distance runners to strength train with, a bit jealous even!
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to focus on areas that I know will get tired during a long race (half marathon for me). Shoulders and upper arms, abs and lower back, and legs.
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    I guess since a half rates in at about two hours for most, I can reply. I do a 4 day split Power Muscle Burn program and Ab Ripper X 3x a week.
  • sufikitkat
    Options

I live in central Wisconsin. It's a local gym, not a chain place.

Mine is local as well. I left a chain for this place because of how wonderful it is!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Interesting reading, thanks all.
    I'm training for a half marathon ( and will definitely take more than 2 hours to do it!) .
    Currently I'm running 3 x week (long run, intervals, pace run) and doing strength training 2 x week (though if it's a busy week I might only do one session). My strength training is machine and bodyweight exercises at home.
    I also usually do a long walk 1 x week and have 1 rest day.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    because I'm only able to run 2 times a week (every 2nd weekend I can get another 1 or 2 runs in), I do insanity.
    on my running days, i do kettleworx.
    I've only just started this hybrid, so I can't tell you yet my progress. Ask again in a few weeks.
  • Reikofs
    Reikofs Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I run 5-6 days a week right now, averaging 35-42 miles per week. I will be increasing my mileage over the summer and usually my peak mileage is 65 miles per week. Right now I train with a personal trainer and do a total body workout which incorporates plyometrics and TRX as well as traditional lifting. I then work out my upper body and core 2 more days. As my mileage increases, I don't go as hard on my legs, especially 2 days leading up to a long run (15+miles). The off season is a great time to incorporate more plyometrics. I think for runners, it is important to have a strong core...In really like TRX training for this reason.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Follow-up question-

How many sets/ reps are you all doing? I've read in numerous places that powerlifting and bodybuilding-type routines are actually counterproductive to endurance running, and that we should be doing higher rep/ lower weight routines.

Your thoughts?
  • sufikitkat
    Options
    mostly body weight for my classes...push ups, lunges, etc. If we use weights, it's either 12 or 15 pounds for myself, we do ball slams with 20-25 pound balls, Use ropes for arms at times, if we flip tires, it's typically the 250 for myself, 400 for the guys that can, 180 for the girls that aren't quite there. Everything is in a circuit for us, usually 15 of each, 20 seconds of each if its plyos such as jump throughs and burpees, tire jumps will be 15 of each, tire flips are usually just 6. I hope that helps a bit, I'm sure there is more I could describe if needed!
  • sufikitkat
    Options
    I should add that Mondays are typically our harder class, burning about 650-750 cals, Thursdays are more dynamic stretching and not as hard, burning 500-600 cals.