Audio books

Options
OLFATUG
OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
Am I the only freak that enjoys running and listening to Audio books at the same time? I'm thinking about borrowing the "speak spanish" books from the library next...

Replies

• Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I don't listen to music when I run but I'm starting to up my mileage and my barber suggested audio books as he'd listened to them during his marathon training. I'm a bit worried about getting too engrossed in the story but thought it might be an opportunity to use some brain power as well as lung power
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I haven't listened to any audio books but I do sometimes put podcasts on my iPod. I like to listen to ones about running because it helps keep me motivated to keep on going.
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I listen to audio books on most of my runs, but I listen to music in races. Audio books are the only way I can keep up with all the authors I like.
  • OLFATUG
    Options
    I haven't listened to any audio books but I do sometimes put podcasts on my iPod. I like to listen to ones about running because it helps keep me motivated to keep on going.

Now that sounds like an interesting idea, do you have any recommendations?
  • OLFATUG
    Options
    I listen to audio books on most of my runs, but I listen to music in races. Audio books are the only way I can keep up with all the authors I like.

I'm *exactly* the same way. My wife is constantly ahead of me (we have the same taste in authors) and she is constantly pushing me out the door so I will finish the current book so we can talk about it! :)
  • OLFATUG
    Options
    I don't listen to music when I run but I'm starting to up my mileage and my barber suggested audio books as he'd listened to them during his marathon training. I'm a bit worried about getting too engrossed in the story but thought it might be an opportunity to use some brain power as well as lung power

I find it a great way to 'read' lots of books that I otherwise wouldn't have time for. I live in a very rural area, so I don't need to be quite as vigilant about my surroundings as city runners.
  • mlachance9
    mlachance9 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I listen to audio books when I run during the daytime. On my very early morning runs when it's dark out, the iPod stays home. I borrow them from my library through OverDrive. I love it because I love to read and it lets me feel like I'm reading a lot. One thing I found is that I listen to the lighter stuff - where it does not matter if I miss a minute or so if cars are driving by (as my volume is very low so I can hear what's going on around me). So it's mostly romance or mystery or a combination of both.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I listen to audio books when I run. I'll admit it here, I have a running partner and sometimes I hope he can't make it out for a run so I can listen to a book instead. :tongue: It's a great way to pass the time on a long run. For shorter runs and races, I listen to music when I have my iPod with me.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I love audio books, and now that I'm upping my mileage I'm thinking of borrowing a few audiobooks from my library, cause sometimes you don't want to listen to music
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I dont listen to anything when I'm outside but if I'm stuck on the treadmill or elliptical, I love audiobooks. I usually end up tacking on extra time just so I can keep listening.
  • kenleyj
    kenleyj Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If I am doing something on the treadmill for at least an hour or so, I listen to a podcast called marathontalk. After I am done with that I like science fiction or fantasy.