Any other barefoot/minimalist runners here?

Options
renkath
renkath Posts: 91 Member
Getting annoyed by all the shoe advice on other threads - just wondering if anyone else has been going minimalist?

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    All I run in anymore is Vibram Bikilas.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Bought my very first minimalist-type sneakers (Brooks Launch) last week!! I love em!!
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    All I run in anymore is Vibram Bikilas.

me too
  • renkath
    Options
    So glad I am not the only one. I used to fall often and twist my ankles in trainers. Haven't fallen once since I switched. I wore Bikilas for a year - now I wear them at the gym and run outside in Runamocs. Just ordered a pair of pace gloves...
  • biobreak
    biobreak Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm slooooooowly, slowly doing more in my VFFs. I'm up to a whole 2.5 miles!
  • jquinn1971
    Options
    Hattori and TrailGlove runner here...though I'm considering the Pure Connect.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Puma H-Street or Newton Running DistanceU, depending on surface.
  • renkath
    Options
    I am considering a trail run vacation... can anyone recommend a good minimalist shoe for trails? (England fells).
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Nope, I need a lift in one shoe, so minimalist shoes won't work for me. Also run in the snow . . .
  • renkath
    Options
    I run in the snow, too. I wear wool socks and runamocs - no problem.
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I'm switching over. I did too much too soon (when combined with my other high impact activities) and ended up with a stress fracture. So now I'm 8 weeks out of that and trying to ease back into running. Not quite healed, but I really think barefoot is the way to be. I run completely bare or in vibrams bikila.
  • Jonathanfales
    Jonathanfales Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I use a minimalist shoe, Brooks Pure Cadence for my longer runs (10+ miles) and a barefoot shoe, NB Minimus Trail 10 for anything less. I make the distinction between minimalist footwear and barefoot footwear because the pure has some foam underneath and the minimus has almost none. Both are excellent shoes IMO :-)
  • jquinn1971
    Options
    I use a minimalist shoe, Brooks Pure Cadence for my longer runs (10+ miles) and a barefoot shoe, NB Minimus Trail 10 for anything less. I make the distinction between minimalist footwear and barefoot footwear because the pure has some foam underneath and the minimus has almost none. Both are excellent shoes IMO :-)

Jonathan, I've been looking at the PureCadence (I put Connect earlier but was wrong about that). Currently running in Kinvara 2 for my longer runs and in the Hattori for my 8 and unders. Any comparative experience?
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options

Jonathan & jquinn -- Do you guys feel that longer runs (10+) should be run w/more cushioning than the barefoot shoes (like Vibrams)...? Has this been your experience? Just curious to hear from some more experienced runners b/c (like bprague) I also had a stress fracture from Vibrams a few months ago, and while I love them, am afraid to use them since I've upped my mileage....

No offense to the guys, either -- but are there any long-distance ladies out there using Vibrams exclusively that can give some input?
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I switched to Vibrams about two weeks ago, and haven't looked back. I never want to put another "traditional" running shoe on my feet again, because it's made such a positive difference in my running.
  • LilRedRooster
    Options
    I am considering a trail run vacation... can anyone recommend a good minimalist shoe for trails? (England fells).

I've heard the Inov-8's are great for trails. A MFP trail runner uses them, likes them, except for the lack of heel cushioning that can lead to bruising on really long runs (I think he did a 50K, or something like that.): http://www.inov-8.com/New/Global/Product-View-BareGrip-200.html?L=27
  • LilRedRooster
    Options
    No offense to the guys, either -- but are there any long-distance ladies out there using Vibrams exclusively that can give some input?

I haven't had a chance to add hardcore mileage to mine (most I've done in the two weeks I've had them is 5 miles), but a friend of mine, who runs half and full-marathons, didn't have any issue with adding more mileage on her KomodoSports, so long as she did some cross-training to keep all the surrounding muscles strong enough to handle it. She also left herself with a lot of time to add the miles, so I think that adding mileage on barefoot shoes is sometimes more of a time thing; you might just need to go really, really gradually to let your body adjust.
  • ezramedic
    ezramedic Posts: 119
    Options
    My husband ran his first marathon in vibram kso's - and I'm slowly working my way down. I currently wear Adidas Adizero Belligerence's, and I have a pair of Vibrams, too.

However, I'm still heel striking (I'm working on this!) so I find I get a lot of ankle pain in my vibrams.

My husband has recently started bare foot running, and he says he loves it. I would love to try it out, once I have my strike in hand!