Well, I gained weight...and need to get it off by summer (4

Options
For the first few months of college, I didn't gain weight and even lost a pound or so because I was absolutely petrified of gaining the "freshman 15". 7 months and 12 pounds later, I needed to lose the weight that I had gained before summer. I lost 4 pounds in a few weeks but gained 2 pounds back over spring break and have only "maintained" the high weight since. I really need to lose 8 pounds in the next four weeks. I am fairly good at sticking to a routine when I am busy with schoolwork, etc. (busy, but not overwhelmed), but I often consume far too much (and foods that are NOT healthy) in social situations because food (and alcohol--which is high in calories) is a huge part of the social life here. How can I get on track, stay on track, and avoid temptation even in social situations? MFP has helped me lose 5 pounds twice, but I gained it back both times (my own fault). Thank you so much for your help....getting on track for a healthy lifestyle and a healthy summer is very important to me!

Replies

• Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    When drinking.. drink light beer, and use diet drinks as mixers for the liquor.. make sure you are counting those calories too so you know how much you need to burn. Stay clear of the food, or take your own snacks.. that's gonna be the only way around that.

Work out.. the goal is to create a calorie deficit. So you wanna burn more than you consume. Don't get stuck on just one workout. I play softball, ultimate frisbee, use the gym, jog with my puppy, and i have a few exercise videos I can do at home. Boredom bores me. That may be your stumbling block also. Good luck!! You can do it!!
  • lauromero91
    Options
    I definitely know where you're coming from about consuming a lot of extra food and alcohol in social situations. What I've found to be a really great work out that has fast results is spinning--it's a high energy, fun way to work out and in one class you can easily burn 300+ calories! It has worked great for me to shed off pounds pretty quickly and I've been extremely satisfied with the results. I've recommended it to other friends and family my age--I even got my cousin addicted, she goes everyday now and I've definitely noticed great results from her and she always thanks me for recommending it!

When you go to parties always have a cup/bottle in your hand, and you can take your time with a drink that way--I've noticed that people usually don't pressure me to drink more when I do that. Or say you don't want to spend a lot of money/are broke when you're out eating with friends--my friends usually don't bother me after that since they understand that as a college student money can be tight.

Hope this helps! Good luck with shedding the pounds! I'm right there with you to get ready for the summer :tongue: