Sulfite allergy

Options
Anyone else with sulfite allergies? I am very limited to what I can eat. I cook everything myself and eat all organic foods. I still check the ingrediets in all of the organic foods though.

Replies

• barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I am not allergic to sulfites, but I am very sensitive to them. And because I am allergic to MSG (which goes by a lot of other names and is used as a preservative or flavor enhancer in most packaged foods), I am also limited to most raw, organic food. We rarely go out to eat anymore, and I have to be very careful when we do! Right now, I'm sticking to mostly homemade food: soups, salads, smoothies. Feel free to friend me, I know how lonely having severe food allergies can be!
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I think I'm allergic so I usually avoid it. I did some research though that might be helpful. Sulfites are not the same thing as MSM sulfur. That's something that is in your body naturally so it's a safe supplement for you. It's also possible you're allergic to something else. I try to avoid anything that's preserved oddly. I do know that the freeze dried fruits that are out there are really good. I would recommend you try those if you're looking for snacks. :)
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I feel very different when I eat any food with preservatives and dyes in it. I am not allergic to sulfites, but I am sensitive to them. MSG makes me feel ill. So, I read all labels. I also try to shop the outside of the store, where you are more likely to find whole foods. I prefer to cook from scratch. I have a cabinet of spices, which helps a lot.
  • bryfawn
    bryfawn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think I have this allergy. I have eczema and it is worse after I have been drinking (usual tipple is cider or white wine) and then I had some Tuc biscuits and balsamic vinegar 2 weeks ago and broke out into a nasty rash over my stomach and back.

After doing some research online it seems like they put these things into everything, how do you manage to avoid them? I feel like I will never be able to eat anything other than fresh fruit and veg again.
  • amjo2693
    amjo2693 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    After a year of feeling awful, I finally found out I have a sulfite allergy. I am still learning which foods I am able to eat, but try to stick to organic foods.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    My mom has a sulfite allergy. She does ok though- mostly its meds, liquid eggs, and wine that bother her. The odd thing here and here will cause her jaw to go numb. She almost died about 15 yrs ago because she didnt know and the drugs they had her on just kept making her sicker. I would see if you can get a list of names for sulfites commonly found in foods, its probably not as limiting as you think but eating one ingredient foods and organics is a great place to start.
  • amjo2693
    amjo2693 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Sulfites are added to a lot of foods and can also occur in them naturally. Everyone reacts differently though. I have a pretty good idea of ingredients or foods with sulfites. At this point, I'm trying to figure out which ones give me a reaction. It took me a long time to get diagnosed because my reactions were always different- chest pains, stomach pains, numbness and tingling, headaches, dizziness, etc. Sometimes my reactions happen right away and sometimes it can take a couple days.
  • melnorwich
    melnorwich Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have an intolerance to sulphites. They give me blurred vision/optical migraines, but it manageable. I drink cider in small quantities only, avoid processed meat and dried fruits. I can eat small amounts and feel fine. I also read that some supplements can improve your body's ability to process sulphites (i.e. magnesium and chlorella) and these work well for me.
  • heavenlyfun
    Options
    I have sulfite allergies thought my dysautonomia was taking turn for the worse, but it was the sulfites nearly killed me several times! Had and Allergy storm reaction to the meds, still wearing n95 mask for daily bouts with anaphilaxis, I have MCAD,fibro,cervical spine injury, trauma fromMVA and IH! Such fun!