Anyone doing this at home?

Options
Hi, I'm wanting to get into heavy lifting as soon as I'm cleared by my surgeon (I had my gallbladder taken out 4 days ago.) Is anyone doing this at home? I'm not one to work out in front of people. Is it possible to do this at home? What would be the easiest/cheapest way to do it if I can at home? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I'm doing this at home so far- if I ever get super high in weights then I'll most likely transfer to a gym. For now I have a weight bench, barbell and weights. They're not olympic because I'm honestly not strong enough for them. I want a power rack but that will have to wait till more money starts coming in.

Really you just need a bench, barbell and weights. That's it. :)
  • DanielleRN8
    DanielleRN8 Posts: 409
    Options
    I've found some decent priced home gyms online and I really want to start it soon! I'm so excited! Any advice on doing it at home?
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    as long as you have the right equipment you'll do fine. I do recommend a power rack though. Its the safest way to do this on your own.
  • gemiwing
    Options
    I wouldn't buy a home gym- personally and def. not for this program. You don't want a home gym that has weights limited- you want free weight plates you can keep adding- no limits :D

Weight bench- to place inside of power cage for chest press
    http://www.amazon.com/Apex-JD2-2-Flat-Bench/dp/B000J3MK3S/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1334465094&sr=8-6

Power Cage- for safe lifting, pressing and squatting
    http://www.amazon.com/Body-Solid-Power-Line-PPR200X/dp/B0016JDZHO/ref=sr_1_5?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1334465157&sr=1-5

Olympic barbell and weights- all the plates are the same size and keep your form for deadlifts and rows in good standing.
    http://www.amazon.com/York-Barbell-Olympic-Weight-Collars/dp/B003LT8KDG/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1334465233&sr=1-1

Obviously- these are just examples :) I buy all my stuff used and keep an eye out on craigslist :)
  • DanielleRN8
    DanielleRN8 Posts: 409
    Options
    I actually found a used one on craiglist that had the power cage and weight bench. I'm pretty sure it would be relatively safe and it's at a decent price. Now I just need to find a space to put it...
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I love working out at home. It gives me the leeway to really work on form or positioning without getting totally embarassed.
  • ktbia
    ktbia Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    My husband and I just started at home. We found a weight set on craigslist for 200 bucks! bench, olympic bar, adjustable rack, and 200 lbs in weights. It will be good for us for now. And it's not as safe as a cage, but we work out together, so he's there to spot me!
    I love this program, did the first day yesterday and feel great.. but sore!
  • gemiwing
    Options
    I actually found a used one on craiglist that had the power cage and weight bench. I'm pretty sure it would be relatively safe and it's at a decent price. Now I just need to find a space to put it...

That's so awesome!

It's great that so many are finding equipment used online! :D

I need some Craigslist mojo!
  • Lena1967
    Lena1967 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I also am doing this at home. I got a barbell (6-foot, not Olympic) and 150 lbs of weights, and a bench, off of Craigslist. Now I need some sort of rack to use for benching and squats.

My birthday is this weekend and my husband has agreed that can be my present. That way he won't have to come down to the basement to spot me every time I decide to work out. :-)

I'm thinking something like this and then it would also give me a place to store my plates rather than stacking them in my closet every time.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=squat+stand&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=9536987949586667329&sa=X&ei=IoGMT8bJGqm60QGo9tn5CQ&ved=0CIkBEPMCMAE

We don't have room for a power cage. Any squat rack thoughts would be welcome!
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I also am doing this at home. I got a barbell (6-foot, not Olympic) and 150 lbs of weights, and a bench, off of Craigslist. Now I need some sort of rack to use for benching and squats.

My birthday is this weekend and my husband has agreed that can be my present. That way he won't have to come down to the basement to spot me every time I decide to work out. :-)

I'm thinking something like this and then it would also give me a place to store my plates rather than stacking them in my closet every time.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=squat+stand&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=9536987949586667329&sa=X&ei=IoGMT8bJGqm60QGo9tn5CQ&ved=0CIkBEPMCMAE

We don't have room for a power cage. Any squat rack thoughts would be welcome!

Happy Birthday ahead of time!
    I got my olympic bench with squat rack for my birthday last yr off craigslist. LOL.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I'd really love to start this at home, until I feel I have form down. I won't be getting an olympic bar as I have a one bedroom flat and will be doing this in the lounge so need to be able to actually manouvre the thing. Will I be OK doing at this at home, alone, using a Steinborn lift (???) rather than a squat rack, until such time as I feel strong enough to go to the gym?
  • Lena1967
    Lena1967 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Lisa, I don't have an Olympic bar either and it's a good thing because I've already dented the basement ceiling with the end of the one I have (oops!)

I had to look up the Steinborn lift, but it looks totally workable to begin with. If you have access to a stairwell, you can make it easier by standing at the bottom and putting one end of the barbell on the 3rd or 4th step -- makes it easier to get underneath it. That's what I did. I started at 45 and am now at 75, and I would say about a week ago it became unmanageable to do it without a squat or rack. But you may be stronger than me and find it easier to use the Steinborn lift.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I am!
    My barbell is a 20 lb'er but I do have enough plates for now. I'll need to do some at my box as my weight increased on my deadlift.

There are some really good youtube videos on form, especially for deadlift and squat. Being a crossfitter, of course my go to video's are from burgener/glassman/crossfit. I do also have a good background from doing crossfit for 2 years. My box often offers olympic lifting seminars.
  • IzzieLee
    IzzieLee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm so excited I'm joining the craigs list band wagon. Taking delivery Saturday of my "new" used power rack, olympic barbell and 275 pounds of weights. Hopefully, I'll get the spot cleaned out tonight so I can set it up right away. This should make it so much easier to go heavy, I can't wait!
    This group offers a wealth of information so thank you to all of you who comment and offer your knowledge and experience. It really helps if you're a beginner. I find when I have a question, I can usually find an answer already in here!
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Awesome LIzzie, great find! I really hope we can sell our bench set and find a rack, we will likely try to find the rac first, or maybe get really adventureous and build one. It actually doesn't look like a hard build. The hole drilling looks like the worst part.

Since we don't neccesarily need full adjustablity we might even be able to use conduit screw plates or just drill the holes we need. Ooooh I just realized except for the bottom catchweights we should be able to just drill the holes we need.

Yeah, I wish that this had been here when I started, I had to play in the boys room and they are all talking about lifts I doubt I'll ever do as their warm ups. pffft! I find for the most part I spend most of my MFP time in here and ignore everything else.. unless I've read and responded to everything, Then I start dropping links to the group anytime I read a quote from a woman that refers to issues w/strengthtraining.
  • seamonkey789
    seamonkey789 Posts: 233
    Options
    Sorry to bump this, but I just joined the group and wanted to read through it before I asked something already asked.

I'm also having gall bladder surgery on June 15th.

I've been doing the machines at the gym for my weight lifting and can lift pretty heavy on those, but I'm reading that doesn't mean much and I seem to be a lot sorer working out with free weights and want to maximize my lifting

I've been cleared for light cardio 2 weeks after my surgery and 4-6 weeks on the lifting after.

I was planning on doing the strong lifts at the gym, not at home, but my question for the people that do it at home and at the gym is that do you have a spotter?

I currently have 2 gym buddies. My boyfriend and my friend who wants me to train him. Boyfriend will not lift weights, but would probably spot me. I can't work out a right time with my friend who wants me to train him. Also, neither of them particularly want to go to the gym at 4am when I can't sleep and go
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it at the gym without a spotter.

I probably would push myself a little harder if I had one, but I'm doing ok without.

I had gall bladder surgery in Nov, but didn't start lifting until April. Doc did clear me for exercise after 6 weeks, I just didn't feel up to it. I'm also having a bit of pain now and then where the gallbladder used to be after intense squats, FWIW.
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    Just thought I'd join in regarding doing this at home. I found a minimalist program including the spreadsheet on the stronglifts website. It's for those that don't go to a gym or have a gym with limited equipment. So far, so good. I've uploaded the spreadsheet with a few changes to google docs so that's been helpful.

At home, I have 400 lbs worth of weights, a barbell, and Olympic barbell, two dumbells, mats, etc