Medication

Options
When you first began your medication, were you so sick you could barely function? I've had 2 doses of .25 mL and am getting badly sick about 20 hrs after the injection. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, how did you handle it? I can't keep leaving work because of it...I'll eventually lose my job and in turn won't be able to afford my medication.

Replies

• jennyemily
    Options
    Ashley,

What is the medication you are taking that is making you so sick?
  • 1981simm
    1981simm Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My husband is on rebif and he was sick all the time but he worked thru it ( coalminer) after a few months it started to get better they told him to take ibuprofen a half hr before he takes it and take it at the same time you can call Ms lifelines and they kinda tell you what could help.
  • 1981simm
    1981simm Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    P.s. the sickness usually kicked in before his next shot was due and got worse if he was stressed and lack of sleep. Good luck though I hope your side effects go away soon
  • lynzy713
    lynzy713 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I got flu symptoms after the first dose of my Rebif. It happens again sometimes if I don't take it for a while and start back up (not good for me, I know). I started taking Alieve or Advil about a half hour/hour before my injection and it seems to help. I also take it before bed to hopefully sleep through any side effects.
  • KerrieB40
    KerrieB40 Posts: 13
    Options
    I felt horrible the day after an injection every time until I finally reached the full dosage. I was told to take ibuprofen 1/2 hour before the injection and then again just before bed to try to eleviate the symptoms. But, it didn't do anything. I missed so many days of work. My dr. told me to change from ibuprofen to Tylenol and ever since I did that I've felt much better and haven't missed any work. Oh, and I also had horrible acid reflux with the shots. So bad that it hurt to swallow, but that seems to have gone bye-bye. Thank goodness!
  • hopeaskew
    hopeaskew Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have MS and happen to be paired with a great nurse. I take rebiff and have had mild to no symptoms. :smile: I was told to hydrate well with 6 cups of water before injection. Also told to take ibuprofen one hour before injection. Lastly, I take the injection 2 hours before bedtime...and wake up fine....I was afraid but so far so good...

Also, I have been following Dr. Swanks MS diet closely. I have lost 16 pounds and slowly sliding into remission. I am back walking from my 3 month bed ridden state and feeling good. So happy and feel like I have the tools to beat this thing...My mantra: Eat Food, Not that much, mostly plants...I eat no saturated fat over 15g per day and no processed or packaged food containing more than 1g of Saturated fat. No red meat, no pork. No processed meats. Only chicken, fish and seafood, turkey. I take Cod liver, fish oil, vitamin D, C, a multi vitamin and magnesium. I know this is a lot...but if I can help anyone to feel the way I feel now...its worth the typing...You can beat MS symptoms through healthy living. Look up your fruits online and see which ones help the body and suppress inflammation. Eat plenty of it...veggies and fruits...Hope this helps someone.