Saturday or Sunday which is the right day to go to church??

Options
BIG_Lew
BIG_Lew Posts: 513 Member
Wht is the correct day to go tp church? Sabbath means seventh day, the definition of Saturday according to the dictionary is seventh day of the week. So why do ppl go to church on Sunday? In the dictionary Sunday means first day of the week.

Replies

• fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I honestly cannot answer than, even after 10 years of Christian schooling. :laugh:

My guess is that it is more political (like those laws that say we can't buy booze on Sundays) that it is supposed to be a day of "rest".
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Whatever day you and your faith say is the day is the day. Most religious americans do Sundays. Jews, Seventh Day Adventists and probably a couple others do Saturdays. There may be some interesting little group that meets on Thursdays,,, To thine own self be true.
  • Regmama
    Regmama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    The reason most Christians worship on Sunday instead of Saturday (the Sabbath) is because Jesus's ressurrection was on a Sunday, the day heaven was opened for souls.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    While I'm not religious. I'd like to think that if I were I'd join a church that wasn't all that picky about when I showed up as long as I was part of the community. If I did believe in God, I suspect she or he would have more or less an open door policy instead of codified office hours.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Everybody knows Saturday is for Riding and Sunday is for soccer. Besides, God makes me nervous when you get him indoors.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I made a deal with God. If He lets me win the Lotto I'll go to church every week, sing His praises, and be the most devout Christian I can be. I haven't won so I sleep in on weekends.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Another reason I don't cotton to religion. They tell you it's a sin not to go on the Sabbath. Then you find out they're not entirely sure when the Sabbath even is...
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    One theory that I have read was that since Saturday is supposed to be a day of rest, that Christians chose to go on Sundays to start the week after their day of rest....
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I remember our Pastor gave a lesson on it once but I don't remember it all except that it was determined that the Sabbath is Sunday and the calendars are different now than they were back in Jesus' day. I think God is more concerned about people's souls than when we celebrate the Sabbath though.
  • BIG_Lew
    BIG_Lew Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    As I read the Bible I don't see anywhere where the Sabbath was changed to Sunday. If u look up all the words in the dictionary, Saturday, Sabbath, Sunday, then read the 10 commandments u will see we are to keep the Sabbath day/ Saturday holy. It does matter Wht day we serve God on because he commanded it. Also if u read Genesis, u see God created the earth in 6 days the rested on the seventh. Also Jesus died on Friday, rested on the seventh day and raised from the dead on Sunday. Also if u read Matthew 5, Jesus states he didn't come to do away with the law (the 10 commandments) but to in force it. With all tht said I think its clear tht all should worship on Saturday.
  • Regmama
    Regmama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Also if u read Matthew 5, Jesus states he didn't come to do away with the law (the 10 commandments) but to in force it.
    Actually, he said he came to fulfill the law (Matthew 5: 17). There is a huge difference in the two words
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I think everyone knows by now I am not a believer, but in all honesty if there was a god and he was the judeo/christian god, I do not think he would care about what day people chose to worship. The whole "keep the sabbath day holy" arose from the fact that in those days, slavery was legal. If allowed, most slave owners would work their slaves everyday. This law came about to give everyone 1 day in 7 to rest. I am not here to debate whether the law was man made or divinely mandated, but I do think no matter who made it that was the reasoning.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    In my Bible, it doesn't say what day of the week God rested (in Genesis) except it was the seventh day. It doesn't say if that day was Saturday or Sunday. (Also, God created the heavens and the earth; not just the earth.) Anyway, I guess if I celebrate the Sabbath on the wrong day, God will tell me about it when I get to Heaven. In the meantime, I'll continue to celebrate it on Sunday.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    The reason most Christians worship on Sunday instead of Saturday (the Sabbath) is because Jesus's ressurrection was on a Sunday, the day heaven was opened for souls.

The ten commandments (including the commandment to remember the Sabbath and keep it holy) predate Christ.

By a LOT.

So.............your explanation fails.

Where do you get this stuff? The thin air?
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I think it's kind of like working out: go whenever you can and the results, regardless of time of day/week are the same.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options

The ten commandments (including the commandment to remember the Sabbath and keep it holy) predate Christ.

By a LOT.

So.............your explanation fails.

Where do you get this stuff? The thin air?
    let it go lucky. you're negotiating the habits of the invisible man in the sky. there's no right answer. theologians theologize,,,
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    My only thought on this is "Why on earth would it matter"?! If you are a person of faith, worship on whichever day works for you/is set by your particular religion. I really don't think God's particularly bothered if that happens to be Friday,Saturday, Sunday, or any of the days in between.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    My only thought on this is "Why on earth would it matter"?! If you are a person of faith, worship on whichever day works for you/is set by your particular religion. I really don't think God's particularly bothered if that happens to be Friday,Saturday, Sunday, or any of the days in between.

Because it's KIIIIIND of one of the Ten Commandments. Now we know I don't care. But if you guys don't either then can we agree there's no reason to post this outdated list of rules in front of schools and courthouses?

Since it doesn't matter and all...
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options

Because it's KIIIIIND of one of the Ten Commandments. Now we know I don't care. But if you guys don't either then can we agree there's no reason to post this outdated list of rules in front of schools and courthouses?

Since it doesn't matter and all...

As I recall, the Commandments talk about remembering/observing the sabbath, not which day that should be on... Interested to know which bit you think is outdated, though... Honour thy father and mother? Thou shalt not kill? Thou shalt not commit adultery? Not stealing, bearing false witness, or coveting that which belongs to someone else? Sounds like a pretty good set of rules to me!
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    theologians theologize

For reals...! Anyhow, as a child and observing busy churches on Sundays once in a while (usually on a drive somewhere) the day of the week was the least confusing part of it all! :huh: