Hello, I'm New :-)

Options
keeponkickin
keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
Hi,

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Cindy, type 1 diabetic since I was 12 years old. 33 years now. No diabetic complications and I use a MiniMed insulin pump. I've been on MFP for just over a year and in exactly one year I dropped 112 pounds. I'm married and I have 4 beautiful children. You can read more about me on my profile and there is a link to before and after pictures too.

I would love to have anyone add me as a buddy if they'd like.

Replies

• askeen0277
    Options
    Hi my name is Amanda and I have been a diabetic since age 15. No real complications yet, but my grandmother was a server diabetic and by the end of her life was a double amputate. I am a little over weight and want to get better control over my blood sugars and loss about 30 pounds.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Becka.
    I've had diabetes since I was 11. No complications. I need to lose about 10 pounds and want to get better control of my blood sugars. I'm also using a minimed pump.
  • productofthetv
    productofthetv Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am Julie. I guess I have a sort of odd story about how I was diagnosed with Type 1. In 2004 I was diagnosed as Type 2, and really struggled with getting control after the first year. In November 2011 I was hospitalized for DKA and with the help of an endocrinologist was re-diagnosed as Type 1. Now I am taking 5 shots a day and have a sort of high (?) insulin to carb ratio of 4:15. I just started MFP because I have gained a lot of weight since getting out of the hospital and getting my blood sugar under control (hA1c of 5.7%, down from 12.8%!) I don't know anyone else with Type 1 so it is great to finally have a place where I can talk to people that are going through the same things.
  • lozamatoz
    Options
    Hi, I'm Lauren
    I got diagnosed with type one diabetes when I was five and I am now 17.
    When I was young I gained lots of weight cos my idiot doctor used me as his guinea pig to see what type of insulins and dosages worked out best fro me and his other patients, so I was stuffing my face and eating as though I was teenager when I was only 6 years old. On an average day I would eat:
    Cereal/toast, then a 10 o'clock snack of a nutrograin bar, then lunch which was LARGE I would eat a sandwhich, crisps and a cake bar of some sort, the a three o'clock snack which was crisps or another nutrigrain bar, then have a evening meal which was probs 500+ cals, THEN supper which was cereal or toast again.
    Like how CRAZY is that for a six year old seriously? And I had that until the age of 11. So you can guess I was a chubby ish child.
    So when I was 11 and started secondary school the weight dropped off as my insulin changed from long lasting to fast acting(mixtard to novo rapid)

Then when I was 14 I became depressed and ate LOTS and Gained lots. I was around 129 I think at 5'3 well I was 9st2pounds,
    Then I decided to lose it and eventually dropped to my lowest of 97 pounds,

I now have diabulimia, anorexia, bulimia due to my weight troubles because of god damned DIABETES.

Tomorrow I'm getting my retina screening and feet check and I know I'm going to be in trouble with my blood sugar levels beng so high,

I have written this as I feel I need support,my family have no clue how bad it has got and I don't want them to as they won't help me they will just be angry with me and make it to be their problem and about them rather than me.