Intro! :)

Options
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to MFP and thought I would introduce myself. I was diagnosed with T1 at age 10, did MDI for years before going onto a pump (currently the Animas Ping) and use the Dexcom CGM when I can afford it. My A1c as a teenager was higher than 14 but my most recent two were 6.4 and 6.7!

Once I finally began treating my diabetes properly around age 14, my weight shot up and never came back down. I'm working towards a 40lb weight loss - I'm new to it and 4 lbs down so far. But I'm feeling good and taking it one day at a time. I'd love for anybody to add me that can relate!

Mary

Replies

• KLK1986
    Options
    Welcome!
  • type1foodie
    Options
    Hi Mary! I was diagnosed at age 10 as well. Welcome!
  • Goog2
    Goog2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi there! This is my first day on MFP as well. I am also a type 1 on a pump. Diagnosed 20 years ago and on a pump for the last 10 years.

I am trying to lose those blasted 15 pounds I gained in the last 10 years.. likely a result of having 2 kids and overeating a little bit... but I am very active and eat very healthy .. so I get a bit frustrated me when I gain weight and can't seem to shake it! Can anyone tell me how we are supposed to interpret the various health documents / diets that talk about teating properly to avoid riggering an insulin response - how do we do this when we inject insulin? I constantly read how we are supposed to increase our metabolism by not spiking our insulin, but how does this apply to those of us who are injecting insulin? Can we influnece our metabolism??
  • lozamatoz
    Options
    Hi, I'm Lauren
    I got diagnosed with type one diabetes when I was five and I am now 17.
    When I was young I gained lots of weight cos my idiot doctor used me as his guinea pig to see what type of insulins and dosages worked out best fro me and his other patients, so I was stuffing my face and eating as though I was teenager when I was only 6 years old. On an average day I would eat:
    Cereal/toast, then a 10 o'clock snack of a nutrograin bar, then lunch which was LARGE I would eat a sandwhich, crisps and a cake bar of some sort, the a three o'clock snack which was crisps or another nutrigrain bar, then have a evening meal which was probs 500+ cals, THEN supper which was cereal or toast again.
    Like how CRAZY is that for a six year old seriously? And I had that until the age of 11. So you can guess I was a chubby ish child.
    So when I was 11 and started secondary school the weight dropped off as my insulin changed from long lasting to fast acting(mixtard to novo rapid)

Then when I was 14 I became depressed and ate LOTS and Gained lots. I was around 129 I think at 5'3 well I was 9st2pounds,
    Then I decided to lose it and eventually dropped to my lowest of 97 pounds,

I now have diabulimia, anorexia, bulimia due to my weight troubles because of god damned DIABETES.

Tomorrow I'm getting my retina screening and feet check and I know I'm going to be in trouble with my blood sugar levels beng so high,

I have written this as I feel I need support,my family have no clue how bad it has got and I don't want them to as they won't help me they will just be angry with me and make it to be their problem and about them rather than me.
  • BeFitwithT1
    BeFitwithT1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi Lauren,

I'm sorry to hear about the tough time you've had with diabetes through your time since diagnosis. I think everyone's teen years are rough but adding in diabetes can make it so SO much more difficult and depressing. I have a twin brother and two older sisters and we were raised by a single parent. They all loved me but had no idea of all the struggles I went through with this terrible disease. No one ever really understands unless it's something they have lived with and fought against as well.

I hope that your getting back to a healthy place with diabetes and with balancing your weight. It's a constant, lifelong struggle but there is so much that we can control when we put our mind to it. Our bodies can endure more than we think, just hang in there and keep working at getting those numbers down and your weight in check.

Best of luck and feel free to add me as a friend - it's always comforting to talk with other T1's!

Mary
  • FBKSHORSEGIRL
    Options
    Diagnosed at age 10.....42 years ago....T1 from onset. On minimed pump for 12 years...decided to try it to get away from eating for my insulin with MDI...and I'm glad I did...I love the pump. I need to lose 25 lbs. My BMI = 30 and my weight is 170 @ 5'4". My A1C range from 5.5-6.5. I'm menopausal and having problems with low BS....on HRT which I think is aiding the low BS. My lowest recorded BS = 18. I keep active with horses and herding dogs. I'm retired..retired 2 years ago after 30 years with a state transportation dept.

I ride horses competitively in dressage and competitive trail riding. I use MFP as a method to track calories/diet to report back
    to my endocrinologist and to help me with knowing what I'm eating. I have issues with carbs/insulin/activity dosages. Sometimes when I'm out with the horses or dogs all day I can eat without bolus and just work off of my basal insulin, but I can't keep up with that type of activity every day.....I'm confused about whether my pump settings are right and if I should be operating with no bolus for meals while being active....I'd like to lose the weight, but I'm more concerned with monitoring carbs/fiber/calories so I can continue my lifestyle. Is it possible to have weight lose and BS control? or do I need to pick one? So glad to find other T1's....
    Melissa
  • akremmy
    akremmy Posts: 1
    Options
    Diagnosed at 13, gained steady weight throughout my teens, but was always pretty muscular because I played sports/worked out ALL of the time. Now that I'm done playing, I really need to work on what I eat and how I burn it off. It's nice to see some support on here. :0)
  • keithgi
    keithgi Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Greetings all, My name is Keith and I was diagnosed w/T1 a little over 43 years ago when I was 11. I seem to be one of the few men on MFP, especially in the Diabetes forum. My weight has been pretty steady throughout the years, until the last 12 months. With the economy on the down swing and a business suffering the effects, I got into some 'comfort' eating habits. My weight had been gradually creeping up over the years, 1 lb her, 1 lb there, but I just attributed it to age. Then, around the first of the year it shot up about 15 lbs and my control was poor at best and I knew I needed to do something. A lady at church told me about MFP and I've become a believer. I've been actively logging my calories since the first of March and had good success with losing some weight.

I like to be an encouragement to other T1's. The technology has changed a lot over the years and it does nothing but help us live long and healthy lives.
  • snapsh0t
    snapsh0t Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's so neat to find a group for diabetes!! I've had type 1 for 18 of my 20 years. For the past several years I've been struggling with my appearance. Once that started I stopped caring about my readings and things got out of hand. I decided enough was enough, I want to feel good about myself but I'm really struggling. When I exercise I go so low the only way to bring it up is to eat. =( Does anyone have any tips for combating lows without ruining my progress for the day?
  • keithgi
    Options
    Welcome snapshot! Hey it's totally possible to care about your appearance and have good readings, but as you know diabetes can sometimes be a tough complicating factor. As far as combating lows, have you talked with your doc? Not sure if you're on a pump or MDI, but can you reduce your short acting insulin slightly, 30 minutes before exercising? Or have you tried exercising say 1 hour after you eat? When your blood sugar is likely to be on the higher side. These are the first two things that come to mind.

I'm on a pump and I've had to reduce my basil rate twice since starting MFP to keep the lows in check. I'm still using the same rate for bolusing, but do not have to do nearly as many correction boluses. HTH and good luck to you.
  • MegRenzelmann
    MegRenzelmann Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

Welcome to all of those who are new! Snapshot - I agree with Keith. Talk with your doctor and they will be able to decrease/alter your insulin. Depending on the type of workout I do I take my pump completely off during excersize (especially if it is a game like volleyball or softball, then I don't want it to get wrecked anyways - same with running, if I keep it on I go way low).

Depending on what I eat for dinner after excercising I sometimes don't even have to take insulin (if it's low carbs/calories), and if I have been active all day and into the evening (softball tournament with 5-6 games a day for example) then I reduce my basal to 70% for up to 6 hours after the last game.

There are will always still be some lows, but the trick is to reduce them! It can be done with help from your doctor, it just takes some time and experimenting to find what is right for you :)

Feel free to friend me if you like! I have had diabetes since age 9 - almost 16 years.
  • snapsh0t
    snapsh0t Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I do have the pump and I had my record low A1c of 8.2 this year. I'm actually kind of disappointed with my endocrinologist as of late, so I'm kind of between a rock and a hard place. If you don't mind me asking....what does your A1C run?
  • keithgi
    Options
    snapshot, after all these years w/this fetched disease I'd love to tell you that I have it all down and my A1C was consistently in the low 6's, but alas I cannot. Mine consistently comes in about 7.2.
  • BeFitwithT1
    BeFitwithT1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Snapshot - I went through many years as a teenager where I simply didn't want to be diabetic any more, so I almost completely stopped taking my insulin. It takes some time to get back into the swing of things d-wise but its doable. I was told that I would have many complications by my early twenty because of the lack of control but here I am almost 26 and in the best shape of my life.

As far as exercise goes, its taken so trial and error but I've found that exercising after a meal (for my its dinner), not taking a bolus and resting for about 20 minutes is enough to let the carbs "settle" and keeping me from bottoming out furing my workout. After my workout is done, I put my pump right back on and take about a 50% bolus for the meal consumed prior to exercise. It sounds like this would drop MegRenzelmann but for me it works perfect. I agree that working with your doctor (and maybe finding a new Endo) is a good place to start. My control began when I found a doctor that really cared about my healthy and treated me as an individual, not as a 'textbook' Type 1.

I hope this helps, feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like :)