I bought a bike!!!!

Options
heatherlsi
heatherlsi Posts: 90 Member
Since I'm in running time-out and the weather is beautiful I bought a road bike!!!!! I got a Townie, cruiser type bike last June when I started trying to lose weight and I love it, but I've been longing too be able to go a bit faster and longer so I made the jump and am the proud owner of a 2011 Raleigh Capri road bike... she's beautiful, all trim, slim and fast. Anyone else like biking? If you do, tell me all about it, where to you ride, who do you ride with, what kind of bike????

Replies

• Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I have a Specialized Allez. I love riding with my dad, but a lot of times he can't keep up with me. Some of my friends bike, and one of them is on the Cutter for the Little 5 race, so it's hard to keep up with him. So I'm kind of stuck in the middle. But we all love to ride out on the country roads for 20-25 miles. Good times!

Sadly, I got in a wreck last fall and really messed up my girl and had to leave her at home for awhile. She's all ready to go again, but I can't ride her for a few more weeks.
  • jobryan4
    jobryan4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    For the past 3 weeks I've been riding a Trek hybrid on my indoor trainer. I was very disappointed but not surprised when I got my old bianchi road bike out of the attic and everything but the frame was rusted. My own hybrid doesn't fit the trainer so I've been using my husband's. I'm happy to be riding again but hate that the only riding position is upright. I thought about rebuilding the bianchi but I'm not sure it's worth the money right now. Maybe when I'm able to get enough time to ride when there is daylight I'll think about rebuilding or buying a replacement.
  • jennydep
    jennydep Posts: 5
    Options
    I got into cycling last year when I trained to do a century ride with Team in Training. I trained all summer and did the Apple Cider Century in Three Oaks, MI, in September. My husband was one of the team coaches and I did the ride in honor of my daughter who is a leukemia survivor. I have been on 4 rides this year, the first being the Mayor's ride on Jan. 2 through snow, slush and 18*.
    We live on the south side and typically like to ride the country roads out around Franklin Township. My most favorite ride though, is the Potters Bridge ride up on the north side. I don't care to ride on the Monon because it's often crowded and there are so many stops and starts. I like being able to just ride without stopping.
    Oh yeah, I have a Giant Avail. I named her Oxy (as in Oxymoron) because she's an extra small Giant since I'm so short! LOL
  • Juliealittle
    Juliealittle Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the new road bike!
    I started riding last June to train for the Apple Cider Century with Team in Training too (where I met Jennydep)..Hi Jenny! I got a Specialized Dolce and have put over 2500 miles on it so far. Right now I'm training for my first triathlon and have been focusing on swimming but I need to get back on the bike more. I've ridden with another MFPr on the westside and with my Team In Training friends on weekends.

I'm planning on doing the Savannah Century on Labor Day weekend, so after the tri in June, I'll be ramping up my mileage again. :)
  • Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Bikes seem so expensive (outside of Walmart specials anyway)..... What is the best (i.e. cheapest) starter bike that is actually decent? ...and where would the best place be to acquire it?
  • heatherlsi
    Options
    I live in Franklin Township... so that's where I rode today.... It was WONDERFUL....
  • heatherlsi
    Options
    Congrats on the new road bike!
    I started riding last June to train for the Apple Cider Century with Team in Training too (where I met Jennydep)..Hi Jenny! I got a Specialized Dolce and have put over 2500 miles on it so far. Right now I'm training for my first triathlon and have been focusing on swimming but I need to get back on the bike more. I've ridden with another MFPr on the westside and with my Team In Training friends on weekends.

I'm planning on doing the Savannah Century on Labor Day weekend, so after the tri in June, I'll be ramping up my mileage again. :)

Is it too late to do Team in Training? I'd love to find some people to ride with and learn the biking "ropes"....
  • heatherlsi
    Options
    Bikes seem so expensive (outside of Walmart specials anyway)..... What is the best (i.e. cheapest) starter bike that is actually decent? ...and where would the best place be to acquire it?

I bought my Bike used. I did a lot of research to try to figure out which bike would be best for me.... There are a LOT of different shapes and sizes..... I almost bought a flat bar road bike, but in the end decided that for me I wanted the drop handle bars for different positions. Most bike stores will let you test ride some bikes to get an idea of what you like best...
  • heatherlsi
    Options
    I got into cycling last year when I trained to do a century ride with Team in Training. I trained all summer and did the Apple Cider Century in Three Oaks, MI, in September. My husband was one of the team coaches and I did the ride in honor of my daughter who is a leukemia survivor. I have been on 4 rides this year, the first being the Mayor's ride on Jan. 2 through snow, slush and 18*.
    We live on the south side and typically like to ride the country roads out around Franklin Township. My most favorite ride though, is the Potters Bridge ride up on the north side. I don't care to ride on the Monon because it's often crowded and there are so many stops and starts. I like being able to just ride without stopping.
    Oh yeah, I have a Giant Avail. I named her Oxy (as in Oxymoron) because she's an extra small Giant since I'm so short! LOL

The Apple Cider Century sounds good. I like biking and Apple Cider!!!!
  • jennydep
    jennydep Posts: 5
    Options
    It's never too late to join TNT. You can go to teamintraining.org to find out more. The event this fall has changed to a ride in Las Vegas. http://www.teamintraining.org/in/firsttimehere/sportprograms/centuryridescycle for info the Vegas ride. (In the interest of full disclosure, TNT is a fund raising arm of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.)