Celiac

Options
Hey there, I have been part of Fitnesspal for three days now and I am so excited to finally get my life in order. I was diagnosed with Celiac two years ago and people kept telling me that I was going to loose so much weight... well, guess what, snickers and m-n-ms don't have any gluten.. and hey, did you know that Mcdonnalds doesn't fry their fries with the chicken nuggets???? Hmmm I was so upset when I was diagnosed that I vowed to celebrate with all the foods that I could eat instead of the ones I couldn't. Well, the celebration is over and I am now needing and wanting to loose all of my celebratory weight.. I am having a hard time finding low fat low calorie gluten free snacks... any ideas?? I don't want to get discouraged after the honeymoon period is over.;.. I want to stay motivated.... Thanks!!

Replies

• angng
    angng Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I have been part of Fitnesspal for three days now and I am so excited to finally get my life in order. I was diagnosed with Celiac two years ago and people kept telling me that I was going to loose so much weight... well, guess what, snickers and m-n-ms don't have any gluten.. and hey, did you know that Mcdonnalds doesn't fry their fries with the chicken nuggets???? Hmmm I was so upset when I was diagnosed that I vowed to celebrate with all the foods that I could eat instead of the ones I couldn't. Well, the celebration is over and I am now needing and wanting to loose all of my celebratory weight.. I am having a hard time finding low fat low calorie gluten free snacks... any ideas?? I don't want to get discouraged after the honeymoon period is over.;.. I want to stay motivated.... Thanks!!

McDonald's fries aren't gluten free, though; they have some sort of weird wheat coating on them. Which. . .is ridiculous, since fries should be made of (1) potatoes and (2) oil.

I know how you feel, though. I've gained weight since being diagnosed since I'm no longer pooping my brains out 24/7.
  • frostysmama
    frostysmama Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I find that the more items I can have prepared, the better I do. I'll spend more money to have things like trail mix, nuts, and cheese portioned and packaged.

Other things that I portion out on my own - hardboiled eggs, fruits, and veggies. I try to concentrate on snacks with proteins or veggies.
  • coolclimates
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease almost 2 years ago. I do not have GI symptoms (besides acid reflux and weight loss, which have gotten much better). Rather I had these problems: fatigue/exhaustion, insomnia, acne, nose bleeds, anxiety, brain fog, bruising, sinus pressure and headaches which I attributed to "allergies," and restless legs. I do not get sick if I get glutened. Which is very lucky, but also a problem because I can't tell when I continue to accidently ingest gluten. It's taken me nearly 1 1/2 years for my antibodies to finally drop and to get much relief in my symptoms. Now I'm doing much better, finally, but it's taken a very long time for me to get well. I was losing a lot of weight when I was diagnosed. I now am gaining it back and having to watch my weight for the first time in 12 years. Anyway, it's been quite a journey for me, but I enjoy trying new foods, traveling and educating people about Celiac Disease. There is so much misinformation and ignorance about it.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I have celiacs too.. I went gluten free and gained 35 lbs!! ..because I did the same thing you did -bought all the gluten free replacements and went hog wild in order to console myself..
    then I started eating foods that are naturally gluten free .. I have other foods issues so it's easier just to say what I can eat than what I can't
    my diet consists of meats, eggs, fruit, vegetables, and nuts.. no grains, no seeds, no dairy, no legumes , no nighshades except for tomatoes, and of course no gluten,
    for snacks almond butter and apple slices are wonderful
    fruit is a great snack and low in calories
    carrots and celery with a little dressing is also good
    dried fruit and nuts..