dress styles

Options
Hi

I am new to the group but joined MFP to get in shape for my wedding. I am getting married in July and want to wear a dress that shows my arms, it's a great motivator to start lifting and keep up with my diet. So what about you? What dress style to you want to be able wear?

Replies

• missphirefly
    Options
    Hi!

My wedding's not until May 2013 but I bought my dress the week I got engaged, in March 2012, so a pretty big incentive to get in shape! I bought one 1 size too small and one 2 sizes too small, but they do come up small for the size so I'll probably return the smallest one and if the larger one ends up being too big (imagine!) I can always get it altered.
  • koneil83
    koneil83 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm getting married in September 2012. I bought my dress in December it is a size 18 and it's a halter top. I am not in love with my arms so hopefully by then I would of lost some fat in them and built muscle. I am currently on my second round with Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and I started doing HIIT again.

Good Luck everyone!
  • leslierae1804
    leslierae1804 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I'm fairly new to this sharing business, I've always been a pretty quiet person especially when it came to my weight & losing it. The whole reason I even joined MFP was to be able to get motivation & support for losing wieght for my wedding. When I was looking through the groups and saw this group, I was super excited to see there were women like me out there looking for the same type of support & motivation!
    I haven't decided on my dress style yet (even though my wedding is in July), but I know that no matter what I wear I want to be able to look back at my pictures & think "wow! I looked good!".
    Wishing the rest of you brides-to-be the best of luck in reaching your goals so you can look and feel wonderful on your special day!
  • Cdomino
    Cdomino Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm showing my arms also. It's a princess cut dress. My dress comes in on 07/02/12. I need to lose 22 pounds by then. Yikes!!
  • tina9991025
    Options
    Hi, Im getting married in October of this year, Ive always wanted to lose weight, but with a wedding coming it gives me alot more motivation to do so. I tried on dresses at davids bridal, and all I could think was "I can not get married or walk down an aisle, looking like this" so that was more motivation to get this eating healthy started. I really like the empire waist dresses, or A-line. My wedding is going to be somewhat country/fall themed so I was wanting something a little more on the casual side. good luck to you all!
  • meligardner
    meligardner Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies,
    I am getting married August 4th. I am down 10-12lbs out of the 20 that I would like to lose by the wedding. My dress is satin not the most flattering of fabrics but it looks very elagent. At this point I feel like I have hit my platue, and I am trying new things to get me motivated. I really want to start focusing on toning my arms and back and losing some more weight around my tummy in order to look my best in the dress. A nasty cold has put my workouts to a screetching halt and my eating habits have not been great while being sick! I have to say getting married has been the best motivator for losing wieght I have ever had! That being said it's still not easy!! Good Luck girls! Any helpful tips you can share would be wonderful!!!
  • amyroo12
    amyroo12 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Tina, I'm getting married at the end of September and am having a garden-style wedding. I too love the A-lines and empire waists, and I actually found a beautiful modified-A line which is lightweight and more on the fun & casual side. I love the gardeny flowers and vines wrapping all around it and thought it might inspire you: http://www.casablancabridal.com/collections/view/30/454. I was surprised to discover how well it complimented my extra curves, though I had to order a custom size because I'm pear-shaped (2 sizes bigger in the hips than the chest). Still, I'm hoping to slim down in my hips and thighs and tone up my arms and back--you are right, the dress is INSTANT motivation! Best of luck to you in your search!
  • smeyerdirk
    Options
    Hi, I'm Sarah and I am getting married in September (5 months away..eek) and my dress is also strapless. My dress is tight up top and round the hips so I need to make sure I look good! I love my curves, but I still have 15 pounds to lose to meet my goal before my wedding. I lost over 30 pounds after getting engaged last year in April, and I thought I had lots of time, but the wedding is coming fast. The hard part is that I have my dress fitting for alterations at the end of June, so my goal is to be at my goal weight by then...I wish it was longer than two months away. I NEED motivation!!!
  • tracymnx
    tracymnx Posts: 105
    Options
    Hi all, im Tracy and im getting married 18th July this year so not long to go! I bought my dress already! Its cream strapless, super tight with a mermaid bottom so I really need to look my best and lose a few pounds before my big day! Im so glad I found this group where I can share tips, thoughts and motivation with other brides to be! I look forward to getting to know you all abit better.

:flowerforyou:
  • Cravenamanda
    Cravenamanda Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to all of you on getting married so soon. I haven't picked a date yet (some time in fall of 2013) and I am waiting to lose all my weight before dress shopping. So far I have been interested in A-line type dresses, which are usually strapless. Needless to say I will be adding arm workouts to my exercises:)
  • missphirefly
    Options
    Wow - its good to see the group growing so quick! Its great to hear about everyone's dresses and hopes.

This getting married business really is the best motivation.

koneil83, how do you get on with Shred? I hear great things about it but I'm a bit scared - it sounds brutal!!
  • corinneselene
    corinneselene Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone...new to the group and think I will be getting married first.... MAY 26,2012!! I will actually be going for my dress fitting tomorrow morning- my second one. There is a ton of stress that comes with wedding gown fittings!!! I am just attaching a link to my dress- it doesnt bother me if anyone knows haha.

http://watters.com/Product/WattersBrides/4041B/

I have been working out pretty much each day- taking a bunch of classes- spinning, barre, pilates, TRX...
  • corinneselene
    corinneselene Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    missphirefly: I have the SHRED at home- it is incredibly manageable. Plus, nothing beats a 20 minute workout. I do recommend sticking with a healthy diet too!
  • koneil83
    koneil83 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    The 30 day shred at home is pretty good. It is kind of intense but Jillian does a great job keeping you motivated. I bought the dvd at walmart and bought two 3lb weights. I really enjoy doing it and feel like crap when I don't do it. I take one day off a week to let my muscles rest.
  • ecg455
    ecg455 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi all!

I joined the group yesterday and have been on mfp for about a week. My fiance has been trying to get me to count calories for awhile now. I was in weight watchers when I was a teen and lost 40 pounds with the whole point system(I've kept most of it off too!)...but that was definitely slow and steady. My dress will arrive at the salon the first week of July (I hope!...it's been too long) and I want to lose some weight and start toning up for the first fitting. It's a sweetheart strapless neckline and i just hate how my arms flab about.

Here it is!

http://www.christinawu.net/Wedding-Dress-15462/

As long as Steven doesn't see it, I'm not too worried about sharing :)
  • apeluso1985
    Options
    So does anyone know good work outs for the arms?I thought I might try swimming . . . I am not much for working out but am willing to try anything to look toned on the big day.
  • EmTulips
    EmTulips Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi All

I have started interval training on the treadmill, I run 45sec – 1min as fast as I can and then brisk walk 45sec – 1min in between. I do this for 30minutes. Then I do some weights and sit ups for around 15mins. Time goes really fast because you are just counting down to the next interval and not to the end of the session. I found I have toned up a lot around my waist, arms and thighs.. Now just to keep it up!
    I hope this helps
    Emily
  • meagangoss
    Options
    HI all!! Well. Im getting married next year. And I refuse to still be in the 200'slb range for that date. my ideal weight is 170. Its been a current struggle with handling a full load (kids, fiance, work, home, school and now Wedding planning). Which is part of the reason my weight has fluctuated so much. I am so ready to get committed and adopt a healthier lifestyle to become a better role model to my children and to live a long healthy life with my husband to be. :-). Looking forward to getting support and supporting all of you as well on our journey!:happy: